Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #1

07 Winnie tour vs 07 National Tropical (tell me about national)

My wife and I are looking to go fulltime at the end of the year.

I have narrowed our search to 2006-2007 winnebago tour 40ft diesel. This is because of reputation, floor plan, style, features. We have been looking for a long time and I think this is the best for our needs.

I just found out that a friend of the family has a 2007 National Tropical 39ft DP for sale. I haven't looked at this brand before but it looks real nice from the pictures and what I can find online. I know it is an orphan but I don't think that matters much. Basement storage looks bigger because its a pass through.

What can you tell me about National? Is there quality on par with Winnie? I am mainly concerned with the expensive stuff. I know I need to make sure it is well maintained and I will hire a tech to do a thorough inspection.

We are going to take a look at it tomorrow.
Then we will think about it after we get a real feel for it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't remember when the first Tropical DPs were built but they had a really low CCC so check it out.

For me, I would go with the Winnie

Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Even though I have an orphan, and am very happy with, I would chose the Winnebago in this case.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00wabbit View Post
.....I just found out that a friend of the family has a 2007 National Tropical 39ft DP for sale. I haven't looked at this brand before but it looks real nice from the pictures and what I can find online. I know it is an orphan but I don't think that matters much. Basement storage looks bigger because its a pass through.

What can you tell me about National? Is there quality on par with Winnie? I am mainly concerned with the expensive stuff. I know I need to make sure it is well maintained and I will hire a tech to do a thorough inspection.

We are going to take a look at it tomorrow.
Then we will think about it after we get a real feel for it.

Let me know your thoughts.
NRV made good quality coaches and their Dolphin gassers seem to be holding up really well, we have lots of them in the WCMC. You may find more National-specific info here: National RV Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums
Good luck,
Ed
Old 07-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I would put National on about a par with the Winnies. They are good coaches but they aren't Newmars, Tiffin's and so on but then again neither are Winnies. I found that with my coach, that National tended to give me a little more bang for my buck. I have a 99, not diesel but it came with two slides, not 1 which was typical of many makes in that time frame, a metal superstructure, not wood and so on. The quality is reasonable and most of the components are very industry standard. Even body parts are still available for purchase. I won't say that it is better than a Winnie but I wouldn't be afraid of it either. It is certainly worth checking out and I would be willing to bet, you can probably get it more reasonable than the Winnie.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
When I purchased a new Itasca Meridian back in 2007, I was also looking a Tropi cals and almost purchased one. The fit and finish of the Nationals, seemed to me to be on par with the Winnebagos at that time if not just a bit better.

Yes, a Tour will be a "better" more upscale coach as far as model level go. The Trop ical would be more compared to the Journey/Meridian at the time. However, if you can get that Tropical for a good price and it's in good condition, I certainly would not rule it out.

But Dons2346 has a good point, check out the CCC if you are going to be living in it full-time. That may be a limiting factor for a full-time coach.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I would take a good hard look at the 2007 Winnebago 40TD. It's a popular floor plan with the full time people I've talked to. I had one and I understand why. The two long slide outs make the living room the focus. It's a front kitchen, which isn't popular, but it is an excellent layout that many are happy with.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Thanks for the info everyone.

We are going to take a look at it this afternoon to see how it compares. We will definitely check the CCC.

Right now our top choice it the Tour 40fd. It has the best floor plan for us. We are going to,remove the dinette area and put in a computer desk so we can work on the road.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #9

Took a look at it today and we were impressed.

The CCC is 3696 compared to 3900ish on the Tour 40FD

So I guess it's in the same range we would just have to be a little careful with overstuffing it.

The interior layout was nice and we saw many ideas for how to build in our computer desks.

NOw off to hit the internet and research this thing a bit. I think I would only consider doing it if I can get a good price. The seller is upside down right now, but that's not my problem.

Tags
national