Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
08 Georgetown 391 UFO Chassis

Looking into buying an UFO and wanted to know if that year chassis was affected by the Bosch brake recall? This unit has under 10K miles and the right front caliper is being replaced. This unit has me a little scared with such low mileage...kind of like commercial aircraft - they like to break sitting around doing nothing.

Also, I've heard nothing but good things as far as handling, low engine noise and of course, the Allison transmission. So, I'm hoping someone can help me with the type of roof material that was used and any other problems/concerns connected with the UFO. One of my concerns is, why did Forest River only put the UFO chassis under their Georgetown for only one year?

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Looking into buying an UFO and wanted to know if that year chassis was affected by the Bosch brake recall? This unit has under 10K miles and the right front caliper is being replaced. This unit has me a little scared with such low mileage...kind of like commercial aircraft - they like to break sitting around doing nothing.

Also, I've heard nothing but good things as far as handling, low engine noise and of course, the Allison transmission. So, I'm hoping someone can help me with the type of roof material that was used and any other problems/concerns connected with the UFO. One of my concerns is, why did Forest River only put the UFO chassis under their Georgetown for only one year?
NONE of the R26 "UFO" chassis were included in the BOSCH brake recall. The UFO has much better brakes than those used on the W22 series that were recalled. In fact, I don't think the UFO has had ANY recalls. The Fan Clutch/ water pump problem was handled by a customer satisfaction bulletin, because it did not rise to a level of safety concern required for a NHTSA recall.

Can't help you with coach construction issues but do believe they built the FIRST coach to market on the UFO, and I also think they used the UFO for more than just that one year.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the response, Ed. That's a little relief on the UFO's brakes. I suspect the front caliper problem is a lack of use issue...anyway, it is suppose to be taken care of. Thanks for the fan clutch heads up...I'll ask about that as well.

I sure hope this planned purchase works out, our last MH was a HR on the W-22 and 8.1 with the Allison trans. - it was sweet. I'm hoping for the same reliability...just without some of the noise.

The research I've done so far doesn't reveal the material used on UFO's roof, hope someone has an answer. Scary stuff, that water damage.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think the roof material used would have nothing to do with the chassis used. That being said, the roof on my Winne on the UFO Chassis is fiberglass.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I would think the roof material used would have nothing to do with the chassis used. That being said, the roof on my Winne on the UFO Chassis is fiberglass.
Yes, I would agree. Our last MH had a two piece fiberglass roof and it never leaked a drop in 10 years(we owned it for 5)... Was just 'fiberglass' wishful thinking.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a member of the Workhorse Chassis Club that owned a Georgetown on the UFO Chassis but he traded for a DP and I lost contact with him. I wonder if the Georgetown specs are available somewhere?

Can you have the dealer (seller) look and tell you what it is?

There was a recall? to replace the cap on the unused fuel filler hole in the tank. Ed can check for sure to see if is was a recall or TSB.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We had a member of the Workhorse Chassis Club that owned a Georgetown on the UFO Chassis but he traded for a DP and I lost contact with him. I wonder if the Georgetown specs are available somewhere?

Can you have the dealer (seller) look and tell you what it is?

There was a recall? to replace the cap on the unused fuel filler hole in the tank. Ed can check for sure to see if is was a recall or TSB.
Yes, the dealer is going to check...it's in an independent shop right now to get the front brake caliper fixed. I'm probably over thinking this thing...I get jumpy when there's any amount over a couple of grand and I start sweating bullets.

This is great info (fuel tank return cap), another addition to my 'need to ask' questions list. Why are the MHs that I get interested in always so far away? I'm starting to doubt how much the seller knows about the unit he's selling...if he's got all the manuals for the coach and appliances, it's time for a road trip to check it out.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fuel tank came with a filler hole on each side. The unused side (passenger side on mine) was capped with a cap made of defective material.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The fuel tank came with a filler hole on each side. The unused side (passenger side on mine) was capped with a cap made of defective material.
Wow, there's a serious item to check out...thank you.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #10

I had that bad plug in the fuel tank of my W24 chassis. It's easy to check for, and I just took it to a Workhorse service center that performed the recall for me. Not a big deal if you know to check for it.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a brochure for the 2008 Georgetown. It says a fiberglass roof.
http://www.mhsrv.com/pdfs/forestrive...georgetown.pdf

The UFO chassis simply didn't catch on with RV buyers. Cost more than a front engine gas chassis but did not provide all the advantages or cachet of a diesel pusher. RV makers flirted with UFO (and also the Fred chassis) alternative in that time frame, but neither sold well enough to inspire them to continue building them. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong - just a lack of buyers. Dealers are a big part of the demand equation. They are the actual customers of the factory, and if they don't order a model for their sales lot, chances are it will soon disappear from production. And dealers are notoriously leery of anything new - they are most comfortable selling what they [successfully] sold last month. And very much afraid of getting stuck with a model that has few potential buyers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #12

I forgot about the fuel tank recall. Sorry. If you can get me the last 8 digits of the chassis vin # I can check to see if the 100 gallon tank in that chassis has the dual fill, which is likely IMO.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
UFO chassis & wiper motor question

I own a 2008 Georgetown on a UFO Chassis. I would say overall I love it. At the time, I also drove a MH on a Ford Chassis. The UFO is by far a better ride and handle. I have about 40,000 miles on it. No problems other than the brain box for the WEBCO brake system quit - got it replaced and good to go.

UFO came out in 2007, the economy tanked in 2008 and I think that is what did not only the UFO chassis, but workhorse in. GM also quit making the 8.1 L gas engine which is what Workhorse always used. So, the UFO chassis disappeared for a variety of reasons. Cost may have been one, but the ride and handle is so superior to a front engine job that weill, wow.

All that said, looking for info on wiper motor. My wipers work sporadically. when they don't work, I can hear a loud noise like a gear in the motor is missing/broke. Anyone have any info on this?
rbwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwells View Post
All that said, looking for info on wiper motor. My wipers work sporadically. when they don't work, I can hear a loud noise like a gear in the motor is missing/broke. Anyone have any info on this?
Contact the folks at https://www.ultrarvproducts.com
They may have the part or point you in the right direction.

Tags
chassis, tow, ufo