Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
09 American Allegiance/Fleetwood kitchen sink drain problem

My 09 coach has he kitchen in the curb side slide out. The sink drain plumbing goes down the wall , then goes across to the other side of the coach to empty into the gray water tanks.

The flexible 1 1/2" hose extends from the slide out wall to approx center of the coach--this is where the problem starts. When the slide out is closed the hose gets pinched between the slde out and the coach frame.
I have changed out three hose that were leaking water into a plywood cover then into the lower bay. I have tried re-routing etc but no desired fix at this time. Fleetwood was contacted--still waiting for info. Does anyone else have this problem ? If so what did you do to correct the problem?
Oleo Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #2

I have an 09 Allegiance also, and can't help you with that problem, but I did learn something about our plumbing/draining system the other day. The D/W was doing some laundry and I noticed the shower filling up with water. My washer is plumbed into the gray tank!
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #3

When plumbing an RV the plumbing drains are to drop 1/4 inch per foot for drainage. I have seen what is called a (PoP Vent) Installed in the drain line. The vent should extend 6 inches above the drain line to allow air to get into the line and help drainage. A good repair shop or dealer can install these.

Duncan1
duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My washer is plumbed into the gray tank!
Isn't that what you would expect? Afterall, it is "gray" water.

Some unvented washers are plumbed direct to the outlet pipe and not to the tank at all. That's because they consume a lot of water to dry without venting, so they are usable only when a sewer hook-up is available. For that reason, the unvented type of washer/dryer has pretty much fallen out of use.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan1 View Post
When plumbing an RV the plumbing drains are to drop 1/4 inch per foot for drainage. I have seen what is called a (PoP Vent) Installed in the drain line. The vent should extend 6 inches above the drain line to allow air to get into the line and help drainage. A good repair shop or dealer can install these.

Duncan1
How strange, I thought it was called an air admittance valve (AAV), Studor valve/vent, Cheader valve (what we always called them) and some folks who mishear call it a "cheater" valve. They are usually put in houses where the wet vents are too far away to properly vent a washing machine or, more commonly, a dishwasher. That is why you often find them in the plumbing section next to the dishwasher hookups and why the packages tend to say "dishwasher vent".

This is what they look like
Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. Studor Mini-Vent Plumbing Vent at Lowes.com

Shop Keeney Mfg. Co. Black Plumbing Vent at Lowes.com

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100148694/h_d2/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&keyword=dishwasher+ve nt&jspStoreDir=hdusΝ=P_PARENT_ID&navFlow=3&catalog Id=10053&langId=-1&ddkey=Search

And for those of you who must have all things shiny, you can often get them in a shiny chrome finish as they are often placed on top of a sink. It's an easy install unless you are all thumbs and shouldn't be allowed around anything involving manual labour.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The plumbing code now requires air admittance valves in most new construction. There are exceptions to the requirement, but most late model RVs and recently built housing will have them at every sink.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Isn't that what you would expect? Afterall, it is "gray" water.

Some unvented washers are plumbed direct to the outlet pipe and not to the tank at all. That's because they consume a lot of water to dry without venting, so they are usable only when a sewer hook-up is available. For that reason, the unvented type of washer/dryer has pretty much fallen out of use.
Our W/D is the standard (not stacked) vented Splendide. My experience in other RVs is that the washer is plumbed directly to the drain line. As noted, that does requires a sewer hook up.
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The plumbing code now requires air admittance valves in most new construction. There are exceptions to the requirement, but most late model RVs and recently built housing will have them at every sink.
Fleetwood was putting them in the RV's back in the 90's
But maybe that is late model's?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #9

I guess the housing and comercial building industry call this valve an AAV . I checked some of the bill of materials from 6 different purchasing agents and all call it either PoP valve or Relief valve. I guess its just and RV manufactureing term....
duncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say the valves have been in use in RVs for at least 10 years and even longer in Fleetwoods.

A Pop-off valve is a pressure relief valve, e.g. on a water heater. Not the same thing as an air admittance valve or anti-syphon valve.

Air Admittance Valves