Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Saw this on the web recently at a big dealer in AZ I believe. I know the bus conversions are behind the higher production companies w/respect to slide outs, probably for many reasons, but, come on.

If I'm spending $1.4 large I gotta have square footage. Who the heck is buying this thing?

Yes it was absolutely stunning inside but, why even make it for inventory?

I will now step off of my soap box. You may fire away.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Saw this on the web recently at a big dealer in AZ I believe. I know the bus conversions are behind the higher production companies w/respect to slide outs, probably for many reasons, but, come on.

If I'm spending $1.4 large I gotta have square footage. Who the heck is buying this thing?

Yes it was absolutely stunning inside but, why even make it for inventory?

I will now step off of my soap box. You may fire away.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Java,
When you have a unit that is 45' long by 8' wide 2 slides is sufficent. That is over 300 sq ft. How much room do you need?

The part that would bother me is that you can't fir in all campgrounds but it is a super bus.

I used to drive a Prevost for a charter bus company and they are the cadillac of buses at least in my mind. The storage alone is unbelieveable.

If I had the money I would buy one just once but I guess I will stick with my Adventurer.
Enjoy
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
I also spent some time driving Prevost for a charter company in Arizona and they ARE fabulous
to drive. Even though it was a part time job, I spent a good 12 hours in it everyday. That was
the second best summer I had since I moved to
arizona, the first best was the summer I went back to colorado. Driving a Prevost is a dream come true.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tom - I hear you. However, at $1.4 we're not talking about NEED. We're talking about WANT. I'm not jealous of this crowd. I hope to make this sort of buy decision someday.

I'm just asking, who is buying this rig when 4 slides is available now at just about any coach level? Heck, someone just sent me pictures of a coach w/2 full wall slideouts.

Cameo, got it my good man. Driving a Prevost has got to the best. But again, if you're going, go all the way, what is the difference b/w $1.4 and $1.6 for the two extra slides.

To be perfectly clear, I do not mean to imply anything about coaches w/o 4 slides. I have 4 slides and thank goodness w/2 kids. If it was just my DW and I, less than 4 slides is comfortable. My only point is, w/just about every coach produced having an option w/4 slides why would a top line even offer two slides?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well, with all due respect to Prevost (and I do love and respect the Prevosts)... we have 42' and 4 slides on our Beaver... how much room do you need? A lot, for that price. If I paid 1.5 million, I'd want 4 slides. IMHO.

Brenda
Old 09-11-2007, 02:19 AM   #7

My wife and I have yet to see a four slide coach that we like better then our two slide coach. So we do not see a problem with a two slide Prevost. With four slides your patio options are limited and the cramping tunnel effect is so much more greatly obvious when four slides are closed in on you then with two.

Of course there is the HiLow option with the second story slide-up to consider also. ;>

Thankfully there are plenty of different models from a variety of manufacturers available to make the majority of us happy.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #8

Prevost was years behind the industry in even
allowing a single slide! They are concerned with sthe structural integrity of their body. The weight and build of these coaches is heavier and different than other (read lesser) coaches. A significant number of buyers of these coaches are still buying them with no slides. I had a dealer tell me while looking at the new ones that people don't buy them to cook and eat in them, the only cooking is for entertainment and the extra room is not needed. My neighbors in the winter own one and my good friends from CA also have one and neither of them ordered with any slides. They both cook on the patio and if not there they go out to eat. The coach is for hanging out and sleeping. And of course traveling.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I can see the need for 2 and 4 slide coaches. It all depends on whatever the buyer wants. I was in a neighboring camper's Marathon Coach recently. I helped him out with an issue he was having and he gave me the grand tour. It was a $1.8 mill coach with 2 slides. There was plenty of room inside and I didn't see the need for quad slides even though Marathon does offer quad slide Prevosts.

The point about more room when the slides are in is well taken. A quad will have less aisle space when buttoned up. What impressed me was the flat floor on the 2 slide coach. The slideout had a marble floor the same height as the main floor. After the slideout was extended thewir was a gap where the slide used to be and another marble slab rose up on an elevator system to fill that gap perfectly. Nice even gaps all the way around. When it came time to travel, the floor dropped down and the slide came in. The fit and finish on this, and the rest of the coach was truly at a higher level than any class A I've ever seen. You do get something for the extra chunk of money you pay. I can only dream though.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Newell is offering quad slides after beefing up their custom designed bus chassis, but I haven't found a quad slide Prevost etc. Strangely enough, there are Country Coach Prevost XLII conversions listed as 4 slides but the floor plan pictures show only two. I suspect that Prevost only supports 2 slides on their XL II bus shell. The Prevost H3-45 bus shell is available with 3 slides from Marathon and other converters.

Don't know about MCI shells, but think I saw a 4 slide MCI coach a coupe weeks ago.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #11

Just to give a slight counter to the other opinions.

I got rid of a coach that had two slides and got the current coach that has none.

In retrospect, I never understood what posessed me to buy a coach with two slides, much less four. Much to-do about a goo-gaw.

If things work out I hope to be specing out a new chassis with 0 slides, although there is a remote possibility I could be talked into a single slide.

Jim Scoggins
Jim Scoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Different perspectives....we all have them, here's mine...

I chose a four slide coach as it gives ME the extra room that I wanted in a coach that I live full time in.
While one can certainly make this argument fit any stance they feel, for me the opposing front slides create a larger living room area for me when parked. Even when the slides are in, there is ample room to relax on the couch, as well as plenty of room to walk single file back to the center stool room and/or access the refrigerator and kitchen storage.
In the bedroom area, even with one slide the bed would make contact with the opposite side wall,so having the opposite slide wall go in or out wouldn't affect the "going down the road" aspect.
Having the bed slide out AND the dresser slide out on the opposing side does give me a little more aisle space again when parked...
Floorplans being what they are, I have a half bath in the middle of the coach and a full bath in the rear of the coach, so having a bed mounted on the center of the rear wall and being able to walk down either side isn't an option in my coach.

I've seen several Marathons inside,outside and underneath as my Virginia neighbor is a past president of the Marathon Owners Club and has owned several H3's...Marathon makes a great coach,but for my money it's a Newmar on the Spartan K3 chassis with the Cummins ISX.

Thank goodness we live in a country where we can choose what we want...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:02 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Roamer:
Newell is offering quad slides after beefing up their custom designed bus chassis, but I haven't found a quad slide Prevost etc. Strangely enough, there are Country Coach Prevost XLII conversions listed as 4 slides but the floor plan pictures show only two. I suspect that Prevost only supports 2 slides on their XL II bus shell. The Prevost H3-45 bus shell is available with 3 slides from Marathon and other converters.

Don't know about MCI shells, but think I saw a 4 slide MCI coach a coupe weeks ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On 7/20/2007 Marathon announced that they would now be offering 4 slides on a Prevost Conversion (H series). Marathon will be using slide-outs manufactured by "Valid Mfg." and according to their sales people in Florida, the coaches will be priced very close to $2Million.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #14

I am just so happy that we all don't like the same thing that I could just shout! If we did we would all have it and that would be no fun at all. One day when my ship comes in I will have exactly what I want but for now I have what I can afford and what we appreciate as very nice. That is the key, do what you want if you can do it, do it.