RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

1.5 Baths? (Tiffin 36LA)

Complete newbies looking for our first RV. Lucky enough to have budget to start with a top brand used A.

Have seen several used Tiffin Allegro 36LAs out there that seem perfect but we wonder about the bath and a half. In some respects might be good but also seems like space wasted that we’d rather have down the line. The floor plan otherwise seems great, big sofa, chair, tv in good viewing spot, table and chairs, fireplace.

Just wife, me and our medium sized labrador. Very occasionally a visitor or two.

Any opinions and experience out there? Thanks.

kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Complete newbies looking for our first RV. Lucky enough to have budget to start with a top brand used A.

Have seen several used Tiffin Allegro 36LAs out there that seem perfect but we wonder about the bath and a half. In some respects might be good but also seems like space wasted that wed rather have down the line. The floor plan otherwise seems great, big sofa, chair, tv in good viewing spot, table and chairs, fireplace.

Any opinions out there? Thanks.
Depends how much space you will feel comfortable with. Do you have several dogs and cats? are your three adult children coming with? Do you have a large bowling ball collection?
If it is just you two then you need to decide how important not waiting to use the bathroom is to each of you or get a longer rig with the half bath.

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Depends how much space you will feel comfortable with. Do you have several dogs and cats? are your three adult children coming with? Do you have a large bowling ball collection?
If it is just you two then you need to decide how important not waiting to use the bathroom is to each of you or get a longer rig with the half bath.
Good points. Added to my op that its just wife, me and our dog.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

It's just the two of us and we have a 1 1/2 bath and it's one of THE most valuable assets of our coach. It's not only nice for each of us to have our own space, but when friends come over it makes it easier for them too without marching down near or through the master bedroom if the bathroom is in the back.

So in our opinion, 1 1/2 bathes
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I share your observation but the bath and half is the current fad floor plan...mosr new big MHs are 1.5. They do make the BR more open but having a second toilet that is not enclosed is not what I would want plus you loose a lot of space up front.

There are a few floor plans that have a second sink and wardrobe in the BR opening it up... one of the reasons we upgraded to a 10 year old Navigator Caspian IV after looking at a bunch of new rigs last winter. The 1.5 baths, poor finish hidden by dark colors plus the big prices and hugh weights...saved me a bunch of money.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

If it's on the 24K chassis you might have a shortage of cargo capacity. Just be sure to check that out.

There's just the two of us and we've never had a problem with a single bath. I intentionally avoided the bath and a half models when shopping because I consider it to be a waste of valuable space. I'm probably in the minority because manufacturers sell a lot of those 1.5 bath models.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
It's just the two of us and we have a 1 1/2 bath and it's one of THE most valuable assets of our coach. It's not only nice for each of us to have our own space, but when friends come over it makes it easier for them too without marching down near or through the master bedroom if the bathroom is in the back.

So in our opinion, 1 1/2 bathes
This right here. It's just me and the wife, but 1 1/2 baths is the bomb. We're in a 38K Expedition.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Yes, it is a bomb when not inside a fart room...1.5 bath.

OP, even in a 45’ rig I would not give up that much space in the rear, much less in 36’.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our first 1.5 bath and love it! However, 43' gives us the extra room.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We sometimes camp with our two grand-daughters so that's three women and me. BIG THUMBS UP for the bath and a half!!!! Yes, you lose 4 feet of space in the living/kitchen area but when ya gotta go, having two is a big relief.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #11

We have had the 1 1/2 bath in our last two coaches. Wouldn't want to be without them. Our shower and get up in the morning things are in the rear full bath out of sight and out of the way. The 1/2 bath gets used for those middle of the night trips and when on the road traveling. Great design and very user friendly.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post

Have seen several used Tiffin Allegro 36LAs out there that seem perfect but we wonder about the bath and a half. In some respects might be good but also seems like space wasted that wed rather have down the line. The floor plan otherwise seems great, big sofa, chair, tv in good viewing spot, table and chairs, fireplace.

Just wife, me and our medium sized labrador. Very occasionally a visitor or two.

Any opinions and experience out there? Thanks.
I agree, no question you will lose space. My wife and I have discussed this issue quite a few times since our coach has 2 full bathrooms.
I can tell you that on several occasions we were really glad we not only had the second toilet, but the second shower as well. Several times now that we had a shower down we were able to use the other one. In our last coach we only had one bathroom and on our 1st day arriving in Denver last January our commode was not working, the valve had a bad leak. It was a real inconvenience for us and it would have been awesome if we had another bathroom, so a bath and a half has that nice redundancy.
We have 7 grandkids, so hopefully when we get home to Florida permanently we can take one or two of them at a time and really make use of that second bathroom.
I will say on a couple of occasions when we were rushed to go somewhere the wife and I were able to take showers in different bathrooms and still have plenty of hot water (two different hot water tanks), which was also very nice.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Our 1st coach had 1 bath and we didn't know any different. Now we have the bath and 1/2 and we would never go back to 1 bath.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were on a trip and the toilet in the half bath sprung a leak. No problem....shut the water off to it until I could get the part the next day.

Sure glad we had two toilets!!!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin