Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
I haven't dealt with them but in the 1 1/2 years on this forum and over 4 on another I've seen quite a few posts re their business practices. I'd suggest a search.

Just for comparison I had a complete inspection done on a coach we were considering by a company down in Texas, total cost including a test drive, house and mechanical inspection was $350.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #16

This is when (for whatever silly after-deal add-on) I look at them like they have 3 heads, say nothing, go stand outside for a while, and shake my head a lot while pretending to do calculations on my phone. They have always relented.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_m3 View Post
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 2013 Thor Hurricane 32a and McMahon's has the best price I can find anywhere by at least $10k (35% below sticker). I ask about any other fees and they tell me they charge $1,995 for a PDI. They said they spend 3 days going through the motorhome with a 300 point checklist. They will fix any issues found during this time, etc. It includes a full detail, wash, wax, etc. too. My first inclination is I shouldn't have to pay for prep, but my total overall cost is still lower than any other dealer I can find. So I'm torn here. Is this even a normal practice?
We purchased our new 2012 Winnebago Sightseer from McMahons in February last year. They had the lowest price of anyone for that MH at the time. The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) charge we paid was $850. We thought that was excessive, but the dealer is very close and the only source of service here all year round. We walked through the coach before leaving it for the prep and left them with a list of about 6 things that needed fixed from our perspective. They have a checklist, it is pretty much a cursory look and check of basic systems, like what temp the air conditioning systems are blowing, filling the propane tank, and straightening the steering wheel (ours is still not right) and interior cleaning, exterior wash. They didn't even sanitize the fresh water system, at least it wasn't documented. They include a basic start up kit that contains items you will replace immediately with better stuff. There is no way that checklist takes 3 days or is it worth the $850 we paid for it. It took us 2 weeks and 3 attempts to take delivery on our RV. It took us 3 months to get the service records that documented our PDI.

When you buy a new RV from a dealership, it's just the beginning of your interactions with them. they will represent you on warranty issues that come up, etc. Our relationship with the dealership is tenuous at best. Sadly, for service they are the only game in town for us.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #18

I'd give that a serious side-eye.

Knowing it's a Thor, it may well take 3 days for them to finish building it and squaring it away.

But I think the truth of the matter, should you proceed, is that at delivery there will be mucho items that need repair and adjustment, despite their 3 day PDI, for which this dealer will get paid for under warranty.

If you think about it, why would they fix anything before you take delivery? They get paid by Thor to make the repairs under their warranty program. Who cares if it's an inconvenience to you? You already gave them your check! It's a profit thing, man.

Good luck on this one.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They are simply building some profit back into the deal. That they are actually doing that much work is BS, but this is really irrelivent. I always state up front, when starting to negotiate price, that I am speaking a total out the door price. This avoids BS like this.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #20

I hate to say it but if a dealer tried that kind of nonsense I'd be inclined to walk. Even if the bottom line is better your dealing with a dishonest dealer and that may end up hurting you more in the long run. I'd rather pay a little more to someone who was upfront and did a good job of the PDI as part of their normal service. The culture of the dealer your talking to is to 'screw the customer'. I wouldn't want to get involved with them at all.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
It sounds like he is selling you a unit that the dealer knows is not yet ready for delivery at sale.

Why should the buyer pay for a quality control inspection?

Wash and Wax could be found cheaper after the sale, but I assume they will not deliver and you would not accept a dirty brand new motor home?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #22

I've never bought a new RV and most likely never will but why would I pay the dealer to show me how to use something I paid them good money for and the sales person got comission on?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
It sounds like he is selling you a unit that the dealer knows is not yet ready for delivery at sale.

Why should the buyer pay for a quality control inspection?

Wash and Wax could be found cheaper after the sale, but I assume they will not deliver and you would not accept a dirty brand new motor home?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Why not say that you will pay the $1995 when you are satisfied with the condition of the coach? If the PDI is as comprehensive as they trying to suggest, it should only be a matter of days before you are able to release the final amount.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGracie View Post
Why not say that you will pay the $1995 when you are satisfied with the condition of the coach? If the PDI is as comprehensive as they trying to suggest, it should only be a matter of days before you are able to release the final amount.
Can you hook up there after delivery and do your own checks?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased a my new Monaco from McMahon's last February. I too allowed them to add the outrageous $1595 PDI to my contract. When I went to pick it up three days later they had done absolutely nothing! It still had the stickers from the factory on the windshield and it was filthy inside and out. They acted like nothing was wrong. At that point I really should have left but I didn't. From that point on it was all downhill with them. I had to file a complaint with the Arizona DMV just to get my registration. I ended up getting them to refund $1000 of the PDI allowing them for the full tanks of fuel. I will never work with them again.
I strongly suggest you walk away from them and if they ask fell free to tell them I was the one that killed the deal.
If you continue with the deal make them leave the PDI off the contract until they complete the work to your satisfaction, then pay them for it.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I purchased a my new Monaco from McMahon's last February. I too allowed them to add the outrageous $1595 PDI to my contract. When I went to pick it up three days later they had done absolutely nothing! It still had the stickers from the factory on the windshield and it was filthy inside and out. They acted like nothing was wrong. At that point I really should have left but I didn't. From that point on it was all downhill with them. I had to file a complaint with the Arizona DMV just to get my registration. I ended up getting them to refund $1000 of the PDI allowing them for the full tanks of fuel. I will never work with them again.
I strongly suggest you walk away from them and if they ask fell free to tell them I was the one that killed the deal.
If you continue with the deal make them leave the PDI off the contract until they complete the work to your satisfaction, then pay them for it.

They get paid by mfg for wty work and the buyer too? Double dipping
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is your money and tell them include the PDI and hold the bottom line.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote