Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #1

1 Leveling jack stuck down

Anyone know the reason(s) for a leveling jack getting stuck down. It is an HWH system. The other 3 go up ok. It is a BEAR to get it up when it sticks. Thanks.
fcast1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #2

We had a jack get stuck and it was the springs being stretched out and worn. They just wouldn't bring the jack back up enough to make the alarm go off. We had to replace the springs.
TheLoveCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

You might have a valve sticking in that particular line,if your set up has a control for each corner.

when you put the jack down does it extend at the same rate as the other 3?

Dick
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
I had one stick down on our coach too..........called for help.......the guy ran the jack back up manually..........and all has been fine since. He used a electric drill.....a 1/2 socket and a 6" extension.....on the mot.or there is a 1/2 nut that runs the motor manually
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

You asked for potential reasons why a jack fails to retract:
  • The oil seal could have gotten twisted - requires rebuilding the jack.
  • Dirty shaft - wipe with AT fluid and cycle a few times
  • Weak springs - replace springs
  • Bent shaft - relatively rare
  • Solenoid sticking - replace solenoid
These aren't in any particular order and there may be more. Let us know how you get it fixed.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

I have the same thing and will probably have to have the front ones rebuilt. I've cleaned them but they still stick. To get the unstuck, I just twist the pad back and forth and they retract fairly quickly. It's not a fix but I will try to manage until it's time to put it away for the winter.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #7

HWH has a lot of information on their site including manuals complete with trouble shooting information.
Welcome to HWH Corporation
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

More than likely you have a seal starting to twist inside the jack it's self, HWH has a a problem with the seals on older jacks. As the O/P said get the trouble shooting guide from thier web site and check it out. If the seal needs to be repaired it will need to be sent back to HWH,Local shops can't do it. In the mean time you can have someone hold the retract lever in the up position, and use a pry bar or piece of wood to help the jack retract. As you can tell I have been through this before.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
We have power gear jacks. They have a grease fitting. I greased ours and the one that was stuck came right up. If HWH has grease fittings, it might be worth a try.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #10

Had two that did that; replaced springs with the stronger ones, didn't help; called HWH they told me the don't rebuild jacks; had to replace them with new ones, work fine now.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Our new-to-us RV has HWH jacks and after reading the forum I'm wondering if we made a wise move going from the Powergears we had on our old RV. Opinions? Do you have to know the exact model of your system to use the trouble shooting guide from HWH?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #12

I think it's a Ford/Chevy thing, you'll find folks happy with both Powergear and HWH.

There are numerous complaints about non-existent help from Powergear and lots of praise about HWH customer service. Overall, I like HWH best, we've been to the factory to have a rebuilt motor installed and I was very happy with the service and price.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
HWH:

Customer service is a joke. When you call their number the first words are HOLD PLEASE... it is a 5 to 15 minute wait before they get back to you. THEN you have to leave your name and number for THEM to call you back!!! Oh and God forbid if you miss the call back call. Then it will be about a week before they get back to you after you call again.

Ask me how I know. To many phone calls with no return responces.

I think they only want to deal with RV dealerships.

Just MOP.... PAM
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
HWH:

Customer service is a joke. When you call their number the first words are HOLD PLEASE... it is a 5 to 15 minute wait before they get back to you. THEN you have to leave your name and number for THEM to call you back!!! Oh and God forbid if you miss the call back call. Then it will be about a week before they get back to you after you call again.

Ask me how I know. To many phone calls with no return responces.

I think they only want to deal with RV dealerships.

Just MOP.... PAM

I'm with you on that! I sent a jack to them to get fixed and when I called to ask the status of my RGA I was also told they would call me back in no more than a day and a half. After waiting four days I called them and had to start the process all over again! It must be nice to be that busy that they can take their time calling customers back.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling