Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
What would be your #1 parking tip for a newbie with a 43' class A motorhome?
There are some good you tube videos AND walkies talkies work for us
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #44

Don’t pull into a spot that is too short.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #45

Perhaps a new RV driver's course or at least watch some YouTube videos. The main thing that I would say to you in addition to what I have seen on YouTube is to park where you can get out. That may sound stupid, but remember you need a large turning radius and that could get you in trouble if you pull in too far or too close to something that prevents you from being able to make the turn when trying to leave. Also, your rear overhang can swing pretty far out and hit things if you are pulling away from a curb. And finally, if you are pulling a dingy, remember that you can not back up without disconnecting the toad. But, above all, don't get in a hurry. Take your time, remain calm, use your mirrors, cameras, passengers and anything that can help. Act like a pilot and use your resources and stay cool headed. Good luck and happy trails!
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #46

Go to a vacant parking lot somewhere and learn how to back using your mirrors,practice,practice,practice. When you feel comfortable backing with your mirrors and backing between the lines in the parking lot then maybe you will be resdy to try a canpsite.
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My late DW and I RV'd since we got married in 1988. In all that time she never wanted to learn how to help me so I never depended on her for help.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #48

Pull thru! If not, backup camera(s) and a spotter with a cell phone or walkie talkie.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #49

I agree with Roameo and Igave. Go slow! Take your time. Don't get excited when you block traffic and don't hurry to get out of someone's way. It is very sad, but someone may have to wait. The mistake you make with a 43 foot motor home will not be cheap.

You will get better but it really does take practice and Roameo is a professional driver and still gets out to look. We need to too!
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #50

DavidH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
So you have a mirror that will adjust so you can see the ground in front of your steps. Please post a picture or link as I’d like to buy one although I already have 3 mirrors in mine. OH wait, do you own a MH?
About 30 years ago I first mounted a oblong convex mirror nearly horizontal above the right window. When adjusted right I can see in front of, the right end of front bumper, bottom half of all 2,3 or 4 outside tires on that side and a area on the ground larger than a car. Now, because it is convex, I can't very well judge how far away something is, but I can see if I'm going to miss it.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Don't forget the front!

I read thru the other advice quickly, and may have missed someone telling this, and so this may be redundant:

Don't forget to watch the front of your coach, too. I've nearly had heart attacks many times while focusing so much on the rear and sides of my MH, and then almost hitting a tree or other camper because I wasn't fully alert to ALL my coach's body.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #53

Take CDL course

If you’ve never driven a long rig, especially if you’ll be pulling a trailer or a toad, you need to take a driving class. Either a CDL course or a family Motor Home course, something
jmdavison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #54

farmer --truck jockey

In addition to all above coments if you have to blind side to concrete pad measure width of drive wheels(probably 98 inches } than where you want drive wheel measure width plus 6 inches an put marker that you can seefrom seat an aim for that with drive wheel. Do as others have said SLOWLY. That will protect you from hitting sharp edge with tire.
retired long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #55

Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
Newbi, 43 ft, backing up

All the post , good information, some time the biggest problem is to much help. You and your better half have it down as what to do, then a friendly RVer next door decides to help, or others want to help. You are watching your better half, now the confusion. Learn and stick with your co-driver, saves a lot of head butting. And you will have a nice evening
Redonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #56

Number one rule to park g a 40ft dp...

WHEN IN DOUBT...GET OUT...meaning don't trust spotters , the wife , the park employees, anyone except yourself when it comes to parking these bahimeths....only YOU can keep it from having that dent, broken shorepower stand...or stuck 27000 lb unit....Dont trusts a sole....but yourself...
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a