RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #15

I wouldn't want to be in a park that had this rule. Too uptight for me to relax and enjoy myself. I also don't go to friends homes with white carpet that I have to take my shoes off for.

Hundreds of nights in campgrounds and never came across it. But, we tend to pick woodsy camping over resort.

For 2 years or less of travelling, I would wonder if a newer gas rig is a better choice. Newer interior and you won't have time to drive a tremendous number of miles where a diesel has more advantages.

Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #16

We travel in a 45-year-old coach. No one has ever asked, and it's never been a problem.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Ragu View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a park that had this rule. Too uptight for me to relax and enjoy myself. I also don't go to friends homes with white carpet that I have to take my shoes off for.

Hundreds of nights in campgrounds and never came across it. But, we tend to pick woodsy camping over resort.

For 2 years or less of travelling, I would wonder if a newer gas rig is a better choice. Newer interior and you won't have time to drive a tremendous number of miles where a diesel has more advantages.
Great advice
Old 10-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have run across a few places that enforce the 10 year rule for monthly, but not for nightly use. We had a nice looking older 5er and it got a year newer each year. It was forever a 9 year old trailer. The manufacturer has ceased production well over 10 years prior.

On one forum, we were told of one place that you had to show the registration or insurance on the vehicle at check in. That is going to far and I'd just as soon not stay at their park.

There are also a few class A only parks. One fellow reported that he was not allowed in with his $300K super C but that had class A gassers that cost 1/2 of what his cost in the park.

There are a few folks out there that feel that their RV will catch a disease from being next to an older RV of a trailer. We do not need that kind of drama in out retirement.

Ken
Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #19

Well Rolling Ragu that brings up the other side of our thought process. In the 18 month US tour we are estimating about 15000 miles on the coach. Would the depreciation on a Diesel over 2 years and 15K miles be greater than the Depreciation on a Gas Coach with an additional 15000 mile on it. My wife has never done this kind of traveling so the next issue would be if she really enjoys it and we end up keeping the coach and not selling.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #20

when i started rv'ing around 1999 with my 1976 17 foot class c i was asked the age of the coach often. i know[knew] of parks that said no toy haulers or truck campers. years ago i read a workamper post for a golf course that said you must have a 35 foot or longer class a less than 10 years old.
probably the most asked question i got was do i have a working toilet and shower. if i use their showers and toilets all the time while being there longer then a week...bye bye.
turnleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Most campgrounds with that restriction ask you to send them a picture of the coach ... and if it looks like it has been taken care of - then it is not a problem.
^^This. I wouldn't worry about the 10-year rule if it is in good condition and you keep it that way. If you let it go and run it into the ground then yes, you could be turned away.

Keep in mind though the parks that have the 10-year rule are few and far between. There are a couple that we go to and once I sent them a picture of our 2003 Dynasty we are good without any further questioning. The owners of the park in Moab even put a notation in our file on their computer in case we call to make reservations and they are not there so their help doesn't question it.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
If the rv has been maintained washed/waxed and no body damage you should have no problems, but if it looks really bad that is a nother thing. Some high end rv parks might not let you in.
The reason for the "10 year old" rule:

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
10 year old Coaches

If you are buying a 10 year old coach, either gas or diesel, the depreciation over a two year period (10 - 12) would be negligible.

It is true that these coaches lose value rapidly, particularly over the first few years. But like most depreciable assets, that value loss rate declines and levels out over time.

When you start seriously looking at 10 year old rigs, you will quickly start to see differences in condition, and that is what governs relative value in coach’s of this vintage.

To address you specific question, my gut feeling is that a diesel would depreciate very little from 10 - 12 years of age and a gas coach a bit more, mainly because DP’s tend to have a better overall structural build quality.

In the overall cost of RV ownership, I wouldn’t worry about it.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
We've only had a problem with ONE park in the eleven years that we've owned our 2003 Fleetwood Providence. We've always told the truth, and supplied pictures when asked. The one park that turned us down didn't even ask for a picture, and didn't realize that we had already stayed there for a week the previous spring. That's ok.....they're too strict for us anyway since I couldn't even put my beach towel over the back of my chair under the awning.
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #25

Hi Phillieagle, and welcome to the iRV2 forums.

There is a lot of traffic here about the "10 year rule". Give another couple of weeks and there will be a new thread about it but not much changes.

The 10 year rule varies a fair bit depending on the property type: if you're renting space in an otherwise "full timers" park there's a good chance the lot/space is a deeded property (like a condo) that has the equivalent of a home owners association that was intended to maintain property values. Some of those rules do not apply to lots that are rented out when the owner is not present, some apply no matter what and it all depends on the individual park or camp ground. Mostly these are seen at "RV resort" parks rather than camp grounds.

As I can't take my Class C into those resorts (and have no intention of trying) I'm on the sideline here - I see all the sides to these policies/rules/obsessive-compulsive things - but these types of places do not represent the majority of places you can camp. As was pointed out earlier in the replies most transient guests (as opposed to lot owners) get little scrutiny if your coach is well maintained. If a property really appeals to you an offer to send pictures may be well received by the park or not, but if not there are other places that will welcome your stay.

Good luck and safe travels to you and Mrs Phillie.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #26
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
The reason for the "10 year old" rule:

Never will understand why the misfortune of others is amusing.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #27

Never have been declined entrance to a campground touting a 10 year rule, the rule just offers the campground an exit strategy if your coach looks like a salvage yard candidate. Well maintained older coaches say a lot about the owners and persons I like to share a beer with.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
I wouldn’t give a minute’s thought to the “ten year rule”. In almost all cases, it is really only enforced if your coach looks like a junker.

I would take a well-maintained diesel over a gasser even if I had to go much older. The diesel coach quality is superior in many ways that far exceed the drivetrain. The experience of driving a diesel is head and shoulders above a gasser, and it will hold up better than a gasser as it ages. Yes, it will cost more to maintain, so if an additional $1000/yr or more in maintenance is critical to you, then get the gasser.

Let the flames begin.