RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I wouldn’t give a minute’s thought to the “ten year rule”. In almost all cases, it is really only enforced if your coach looks like a junker.

I would take a well-maintained diesel over a gasser even if I had to go much older. The diesel coach quality is superior in many ways that far exceed the drivetrain. The experience of driving a diesel is head and shoulders above a gasser, and it will hold up better than a gasser as it ages. Yes, it will cost more to maintain, so if an additional $1000/yr or more in maintenance is critical to you, then get the gasser.

Let the flames begin.
No flames yet,
I did go from a gasser to a diesel pusher and other than the ride, comfort of driving and quiet while driving, wouldn’t rate the interior as vastly superior. Superior yes, but not vastly.

The other features of the Pusher are great , the auqahot is one such feature I wanted. Yes it has maintenance also.

Okay , I surrender I would not go back to a gasser unless it was parked mostly at a semi permanent spot or was just used for short trips.

As to the ten year rule, not concerned with it as where I generally use the coach, appearance will matter more than age of my MH.

Sort of made It back on topic.

Terry & Pat

96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #30
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

We've found that most campgrounds with the 10-year rule will let you in if your coach looks nice! We are at one of those campgrounds right now and our coach is 17 years old!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Never will understand why the misfortune of others is amusing.
Schadenfreude
turnleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconeer189 View Post
Never have been declined entrance to a campground touting a 10 year rule, the rule just offers the campground an exit strategy if your coach looks like a salvage yard candidate. Well maintained older coaches say a lot about the owners and persons I like to share a beer with.
Ditto!
Only one time have we been asked the year, when I said 2000, the desk clerks eyes brightened up and she said- wow, sure looks like a new one to me, as she handed me my receipt and site directions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:03 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Phillieagle..... Welcome to iRV2! You’re in the right place.
My ‘02 Dutch Star is 17 years old, but is in good shape and looks good, unless I’ve been on the road a while. Then it gets pretty grungy. Regardless, in eight years of fulltiming we’ve only encountered this age question twice. In reality it is not a factor, as others have described.
The so-called 10 year rule stems from commercial insurers who underwrite liability coverage for RV parks and campgrounds. I’m told there are only a few of these companies, so they can pretty much write their own rules, within the law.
Technically, the underwriter will not cover any operator who offers long-term accommodation to an RV over 10 years old. Long term is defined as over 30 days. That’s it.
Having said that, there are quite a few operators who use this as a tool to try to maintain some control over their population make up, perhaps to convey some sense of image they want to project. But it’s all of their own doing, and I’d be willing to bet you’ll never run into it unless you frequent RV”resorts”.
Good luck!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Many of the "10 year" parks are only concerned, if your booking monthly stays. In many parts of the country a monthly stay gives you "apartment rental .. HOME status" and they can not evict you without a several month long process, all the while receiving no payment.
There is always the odd, normally High end resort park that is hard corps on the rule for short stays.
In 4 Years full time, I haven't been turned away anywhere for short stays (2003 coach).... I'm sure the day may come. last year One park outside Phoenix wanted photos for a 2 month stay, I sent them and didn't hear back. I called they said they'd get back to me. They never did so I found a BETTER park and booked it. One day after my arrival at the new Better place the no call place called me ... where are you? We have you down for 2 months! I had totally forgot about them, They never took a deposit. I told them my story and said your loss and hung up.
You sound like my kind of guy. I would NEVER beg someone to take my money. I don't do business with folks that Don't return phone calls or Don't show up when they are supposed to.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #35

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
When you are evaluating a coach to purchas ?
And its 10 plus years old. Or two years old

I looked at two similar coaches at PPL
In Texas.
Both about 12 years old, same miles and same model , engine.

I look hard at 3 places.

1. The batteries, battery Box.
One had a dirty, grimy batery box and the cables were corroded bad.

The other looked like you could eat on any one of the batteries. Some one constantly maintained the box and batteries.

2. The engine compartment
One was Pathetically greasy and some compartment insulation was torn and hanging. I was thinking, was the radiator ever serviced ? Flushed, Cleaned ? Was the air filter ever serviced ? It didn't look like it.

3. Fuel filter's
The unit with the greasy battery box and engine had grime and dust, and rust on the fuel filters. NOT GOOD

Those units are xxxxed of the list.

The fuel filters on the second unit were shiny clean and the fuel lines were clean.

As I recall a new poster ask for assistance as he was sitting along the road a few weeks back.
Road service changed his fuel filter and he was on his way again.

He addmited that he had not serviced nor changed fuel filters.

He was a new RV, DP owner of only two plus years. And had no idea that he should service his unit regularly.

Many have only ever owned a car in their lifetime and this is all new to them.
Thank's to this Forum for enlightening new and old owners Alike.
HJLowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I wouldn’t give a minute’s thought to the “ten year rule”. In almost all cases, it is really only enforced if your coach looks like a junker.

I would take a well-maintained diesel over a gasser even if I had to go much older. The diesel coach quality is superior in many ways that far exceed the drivetrain. The experience of driving a diesel is head and shoulders above a gasser, and it will hold up better than a gasser as it ages. Yes, it will cost more to maintain, so if an additional $1000/yr or more in maintenance is critical to you, then get the gasser.

Let the flames begin.

The OP has also stated that they hope to travel 15K miles on their adventure.

Ease of driving , low noise level, ease of service (Speedco for oil and lube service), generator in the front of the coach with very low noise levels are all part of the Diesel Pusher ownership experience.

10 year rule has never been an issue for us and our vintage Eagle is 21 years old.

Depreciation will not be a big factor....only look at units that were the flagship for their manufacturer when they were built is a good approach IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Natchez Trace Eagle.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	262400  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
..... Would the depreciation on a Diesel over 2 years and 15K miles be greater than the Depreciation on a Gas Coach with an additional 15000 mile on it. .

Over the life of the coach your 15k (versus say 5k) won't matter much.
What you will tend to see on average is 5-6% per year of depreciation. If you spend more than you will tend to lose more.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:28 PM   #38

We have a 2004 for over 7 years and have never had a problem - and we travel a lot. We have had the sidewalls replaced and repainted, so it looks new, so if anyone asks for a photo, we should be fine.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #39

We are a 2006 diesel. No problems no where.
May I add. Our Freightliner Class A rides and drives a heck of a lot better than our Class A Ford gas. Lot to be said for not being jarred.
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
Well Rolling Ragu that brings up the other side of our thought process. In the 18 month US tour we are estimating about 15000 miles on the coach. Would the depreciation on a Diesel over 2 years and 15K miles be greater than the Depreciation on a Gas Coach with an additional 15000 mile on it. My wife has never done this kind of traveling so the next issue would be if she really enjoys it and we end up keeping the coach and not selling.
Hard to know how your wife will take to it, but mine was against me upgrading our 1993 Class C Tioga to a 2004 Class A Dolphin as she felt she didn't really enjoy the trips enough to justify it. I did it anyway, because I had a Class A before I met her and thought she would be much happier with it, plus we are both getting too old to climb into the over-cab bunk of the Tioga. After our first three-week trip she is a changed person. She loves the Class A and can't wait for our next trip. Rear bed, slide-outs, front and rear TVs, a real galley and a real shower make all the difference. For a two year trip just be sure you don't go too small.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
Just tell them it's a 2010 (or 2015 or whatever) regardless of its actual model year. What are they going to do, run its VIN?

As a rule I would say that if they don't want your business you shouldn't give it to them. But if I were in your shoes and for whatever reason that wasn't a viable option for me, I would lie and feel absolutely no remorse.

For what it's worth, as long as your coach is cared-for, I'd love to have you as my neighbor. I don't care how old your MH is or if the paint is a little faded. I love looking at those old coaches that are obviously loved.
I agree, I'm sure there are few who can tell the difference between a 2006 and 2016 but only a few, Most full paints that are clean look great. We had a 2001 Dutch Star it was in great shape but a white Gel coat that looked terrible, my neighbor had a 2002 Dutch Star Full Paint it looked new.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:04 AM   #42

We have a 2002 coach, and have yet to run into the 10 year rule anywhere we would care to travel, though oddly enough, we have reservations at what appears to be an only slightly nicer than average roadside RV park in a couple of weeks that has a statement on their web page "1996 model year RV's only no exceptions". On general principal I would have preferred not patronizing such a place (Black Barts RV campground in Flagstaff), however my wife is flying home, and we needed a place within taxi / uber distance of the airport.