RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 05:33 AM   #85

I would be more concerned about the size, size does matter! over thirty feet is questionable.

Jimbmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
Well look at the bright side, many are blessed with new coaches at a quarter of a million or more and have to spend lots of energy and time taking care of tons of issues, it may be under warranty but the pain and suffering as well as the depreciation well it adds up more than the cost of upfitting a coach with fresh wear and tear items many times, as you know now you have the warranty on those items and repairs in your pocket as well as the peace of mind.

Enjoy the coach, sing like no one is listening while driving (buy the wife noise cancelling headphones first). And stop before the cop walks up to the window!

There is a bright side to all situations most of the time eh.
Thanks Diesel-Lover, That's what I tell the wife every time we upgrade something. I could have stretched the budget another $50K, but I would still be looking at replacing the same basic maintenance items, tires, batteries, oil, filters, etc and paying more per month to the bank. Were hoping for at least three years and feel confident with the Tiffin brand.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:52 PM   #87

Beauty Before Age

We have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and everybody thinks it's a new one. Tiffin is the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B38DC05E-E631-4321-A541-6B9EC670B9FA.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	263437  
dpsdebi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:01 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
I am new to the group and looking to purchase a Class A Motorhome. My wife and I want to travel the US for 12 to 18 months after we retire. We have been looking at many different motor homes and like the Tiffin homes. Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old. To get into a Diesel we would probably be looking at coaches that are 10 or more when we actually start traveling. We have found a coach that we like and can afford of the 2013 vintage. Of course with Gas we could get into a newer coach. What are experiences of this 10 year rule. Thanks

There is a lot of really nice used coaches out there, Tiffin, Newmar, Country Coach, Entegra, just to name a few and not intentionally leaving any out. I wouldnít let the ten year rule worry me as others have said. The advantages and disadvantages of a new coach are that it is new and will most likely have some issues that you will be inconvenienced by and have to take it in for service and repair. Hopefully they would be minor and the dealer can handle in a timely manor but if you check the forums that is not always the case and may end up getting you stranded without your coach. My only new RV was a Toy Hauler fifth wheel (no names mentioned) spent over six months of its first year at the dealer for repairs and again shortly after the year was up but they did fix most everything to my approval. I think the ten year rule seems to be somewhat of a way to keep some poorly cared for rigs out and keeps an older trailer from being backed in next to a million dollar coach.
I know there has been mention of new coaches costing a quarter of a million dollars but the reality is most cost way above that. A small pusher or gasoline rig yes but not a big chassis 40í up pusher. So my point to my long winded post is donít worry about the warranty or the ten year rule. Make an educated decision and purchase a coach that has a ďfloor planĒ you want with enough power to satisfy your needs. If you are a driver that feels comfortable at 55-65 mph then you donít need the big monster engine that the guy who likes to run the speed limit and not slow down on the hills.
Another thing to consider is if you get the opportunity to test drive a few so you can get the feel for them is a good idea. My preference will always be a big engine, side radiator, with a tag. Iíve had both a rear and side radiator and a single rear and a tag axle coach. The tag axle coach handles the road and the wind much bettering the rear radiator is much easier to work on the engine.
I think the poster before me mentioned they have a Tiffin Phaeton and from their photo a very attractive coach too. This is a very good coach from what I have heard. They are what I refer to as a large chassis coach and this generally is better than the lighter coaches. Just my two cents worth. Price point for some reason the Tiffin Coaches seem to be a better value in the used market than say a Newmar.
I have a 2005 Country Coach at this time and it is a very well made coach, from what I have seen first hand better than most and would recommend you look at these too if you donít mind an older coach. Last one they produced was 2009 but donít let that bother you because all the parts are common to a lot of other high end coaches. Also they still offer a customer service help line with a lot of ex CC employees backing it. Winnebago now owns them as do they own Newmar. I have had 8 different RVís two being Winnebago and most likely wonít be owning another. Get out there find something you like and get on the road. Enjoy your retirement.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #89

Location: Land of high fuel prices and poor roads; Kalifornia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old.
It is not "many" campgrounds, it is only a very few campgrounds. And if your RV looks nice and doesn't have body damage or assorted crap strapped to the RV, you will have no problem.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #90

Triple E Owners Club
Don't ask, don't tell...

Based on my experience, I doubt most folks actually working the RV park would have any sense to judge how old an RV is. They just know when one looks like it's maintained by cousin Eddie. And cousin Eddie is not welcome.

I've been id'd before. Sent pics. No problems. I can only imagine that the snootiest of the snootiest parks would be absolute about the 10 year rule. In that case, that's not my kind of crowd.
PartyBoyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #91

To quote Groucho, "I wouldn't want to be a belong to a club that would have me as a member"
pjenk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsdebi7 View Post
We have a 2008 Tiffin Phaeton and everybody thinks it's a new one. Tiffin is the way to go.

Coach looks nice, where was the photo taken?
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
There is a lot of really nice used coaches out there, Tiffin, Newmar, Country Coach, Entegra, just to name a few and not intentionally leaving any out. I wouldnít let the ten year rule worry me as others have said. The advantages and disadvantages of a new coach are that it is new and will most likely have some issues that you will be inconvenienced by and have to take it in for service and repair. Hopefully they would be minor and the dealer can handle in a timely manor but if you check the forums that is not always the case and may end up getting you stranded without your coach. My only new RV was a Toy Hauler fifth wheel (no names mentioned) spent over six months of its first year at the dealer for repairs and again shortly after the year was up but they did fix most everything to my approval. I think the ten year rule seems to be somewhat of a way to keep some poorly cared for rigs out and keeps an older trailer from being backed in next to a million dollar coach.
I know there has been mention of new coaches costing a quarter of a million dollars but the reality is most cost way above that. A small pusher or gasoline rig yes but not a big chassis 40í up pusher. So my point to my long winded post is donít worry about the warranty or the ten year rule. Make an educated decision and purchase a coach that has a ďfloor planĒ you want with enough power to satisfy your needs. If you are a driver that feels comfortable at 55-65 mph then you donít need the big monster engine that the guy who likes to run the speed limit and not slow down on the hills.
Another thing to consider is if you get the opportunity to test drive a few so you can get the feel for them is a good idea. My preference will always be a big engine, side radiator, with a tag. Iíve had both a rear and side radiator and a single rear and a tag axle coach. The tag axle coach handles the road and the wind much bettering the rear radiator is much easier to work on the engine.
I think the poster before me mentioned they have a Tiffin Phaeton and from their photo a very attractive coach too. This is a very good coach from what I have heard. They are what I refer to as a large chassis coach and this generally is better than the lighter coaches. Just my two cents worth. Price point for some reason the Tiffin Coaches seem to be a better value in the used market than say a Newmar.
I have a 2005 Country Coach at this time and it is a very well made coach, from what I have seen first hand better than most and would recommend you look at these too if you donít mind an older coach. Last one they produced was 2009 but donít let that bother you because all the parts are common to a lot of other high end coaches. Also they still offer a customer service help line with a lot of ex CC employees backing it. Winnebago now owns them as do they own Newmar. I have had 8 different RVís two being Winnebago and most likely wonít be owning another. Get out there find something you like and get on the road. Enjoy your retirement.
Edit to my post regarding the rear radiator I meant to point out that a side radiator is much easier coach to work on over a rear radiator and that a tag axle coach generally handles the wind and the road better.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpsdebi7 View Post

RWDJR
"Coach looks nice, where was the photo taken?"

Photo was taken at Lakeview Campground, Taylor Reservoir, Colorado..