Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #71

We have a 2004 National Sea Breeze gas 34’ and have never been questioned about the age of our coach. National built a high end coach and that may be a part of the reason as we keep it up and clean and polished. The appearance of the coach that you get will go a long way both in your pride and the way you are treated.
Hackercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 PM   #72

My rig is 20 years old as well. While I haven't done a lot of RV parks I did one last week in Vegas. They did asl what year my rid was, but once they saw it wasn't 't trashed they let me in no problem.
Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #73

My coach is a 2005 Country Coach and have never been turned away due to age. Only time I have had issues is when the park is full. Most don’t believe it is as old as it until I tell them.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:47 AM   #74

We have a 2001 Tiffin Bus 40’. We purchased it a year ago and we have spent the last year adding new tires, batteries, belts, oil and fuel filters, brake pads, and several other gotcha items. All I can say is check the records on the coach if you can. Who ever had ours did little maintenance on it.

Hopefully we’re good to go and we’re headed to Florida from Michigan next spring. We did about 26 days of camping in Michigan at three different parks, some with 10 year rules and had no problems. I went DP for ride and dependability. Wish us luck on our next longer journey. Enjoy your new old DP.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:43 AM   #75

Restored 1993 Foretravel GV here... we've never had a problem.

That said, we tend to stay away from parks like that.
Jy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 AM   #76

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
I am new to the group and looking to purchase a Class A Motorhome. My wife and I want to travel the US for 12 to 18 months after we retire. We have been looking at many different motor homes and like the Tiffin homes. Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old. To get into a Diesel we would probably be looking at coaches that are 10 or more when we actually start traveling. We have found a coach that we like and can afford of the 2013 vintage. Of course with Gas we could get into a newer coach. What are experiences of this 10 year rule. Thanks
When we started looking at going on the road for our business, I quickly noticed the massive differences in the build of many of the DP motorhomes vs many of the gas ones. I was very tempted to go newer but decided to go backward a few years instead. We ended up with a 2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador which had about 43000 miles on it, had LOTS of maintenance records and was very clean. The owner told me the good and bad and I appreciate that! It's been a great experience but just understand that with an older coach, you'll just have to be prepared for doing some repairs. We have put on a new AC, just replaced the refrigerator cooling unit (YEAH for JC Refrigeration!!) and a new inverter in the last 2 years. But all of this will last for MANY more years and I'm still WAY in the black vs buying a new coach. By the way, you won't go wrong with a well maintained Tiffin. Check the roof and chassis maint. Just my thoughts.
tlgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #77

My "new" motorhome is a 2000 model. Yes some upscale RV Resort type parks do get picky. For my life style I would never stay in one of those types of parks. They usually have a list of all the things you cannot do and it out numbers the list of things you can do. Federal and state camp grounds never have age restrictions. I did stay in one park in the Dallas area that was motorhome "age" restricted. We call them and they said no problem.

So your life style will really be the key factor in your decision.
Bruce Deville
KE5CPL
Shreveport, Louisiana
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #78

Ford Super Duty Owner
I say if they don't want you RV they don't want your money. If they don't like my rig then they really will not like me.
Bo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richnewman View Post
We have a 2001 Tiffin Bus 40’. We purchased it a year ago and we have spent the last year adding new tires, batteries, belts, oil and fuel filters, brake pads, and several other gotcha items. All I can say is check the records on the coach if you can. Who ever had ours did little maintenance on it.

Hopefully we’re good to go and we’re headed to Florida from Michigan next spring. We did about 26 days of camping in Michigan at three different parks, some with 10 year rules and had no problems. I went DP for ride and dependability. Wish us luck on our next longer journey. Enjoy your new old DP.

Well look at the bright side, many are blessed with new coaches at a quarter of a million or more and have to spend lots of energy and time taking care of tons of issues, it may be under warranty but the pain and suffering as well as the depreciation well it adds up more than the cost of upfitting a coach with fresh wear and tear items many times, as you know now you have the warranty on those items and repairs in your pocket as well as the peace of mind.

Enjoy the coach, sing like no one is listening while driving (buy the wife noise cancelling headphones first). And stop before the cop walks up to the window!

There is a bright side to all situations most of the time eh.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Never will understand why the misfortune of others is amusing.

I don't think the video is showing amusement at the misfortune of others. This video is showing the lack of safety to the others on the road!!!

This guy doesn't even have a full set of rear lights, and, dragging on the road??? If the rear cap were to fall off and come through your windshield killing you or your passenger, then you will understand the safety aspect.

This vehicle should not be on the road.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
10 Year Old Coaches

Quote:
I am new to the group and looking to purchase a Class A Motorhome. My wife and I want to travel the US for 12 to 18 months after we retire. We have been looking at many different motor homes and like the Tiffin homes. Our question is we have read and been told many campgrounds do not let Coaches in that are over 10 years old. To get into a Diesel we would probably be looking at coaches that are 10 or more when we actually start traveling. We have found a coach that we like and can afford of the 2013 vintage. Of course with Gas we could get into a newer coach. What are experiences of this 10 year rule. Thanks
We may be a real exception. We have a 1993 Bounder 32' purchased new with 34K miles. We keep it clean, waxed and looking new and have never had a problem. However .... we have not traveled extensively throughout the US. I think keeping your rig looking good is the secret.
RussLatimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #82

10 year RuleY

Quote:
We have a 2007 Alfa diesel motor home and have never encountered this 10 year old rule. I believe that our home is well kept and hope to have it for at least ten more years. If there is a campground that does not want us do to the age of the coach, I will never return and will spread the word to all my camper friends not to use the campground. It is ridiculous that you would have to invest thousands of dollars just to keep others happy. I will tell you that our goal is to visit all the National Parks and stay a week in each one of them. So far, not once have we been denied access to any campground based on the age of the coach. Tiffins are great coaches and the company is well respected by all of us. Enjoy your time with a coach that you can afford without worrying about the age of the coach. Hope to see you in a camping area someday.

Jorge and Joselyn
JorgeJoselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:32 PM   #83

I’ve had issues with parks in Texas. 10 year rule was strictly enforced. I have a beautiful 07 Sportscoach. Most places in Florida ask for pics. Never had a problem there. Parks in Austin in particular are pains in the butt!!
Trippinonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #84

Stop and think about it, if you owned a park, what would you be looking for? you don't want someone dragging in a canned ham dirtier than hell, twenty-nine thousand kids hanging out of the window, a ragged out p/u truck, and the driver looks like he or she has not had a shower in two weeks. If the camper was clean, p/u truck looked nice, kids well behaved, parents decent, probably wouldn't be a issue.
Jimbmann is offline   Reply With Quote