Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The Newell will have 10 year old technology in it. Possibly CRT TVs, etc. Newell will have many more options than the Cornerstone. I guess, depending on maintenance records, and age of tires, batteries, etc. I would choose the Newell as well.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
The obvious item that may need to be changed may be the tires. So, around $8000 or so for the 8 tires. May be a new paint job as well.

I wonder what else needs replacing just because it's a 10-year old?

Says it has new paint. Might check the batteries.

I used to be concerned about the age on a MH, brittle wiring and so on. These are not built like cars. Wiring bundles tied down, the cabinets because of the superb chassis stay tight, etc. The only concern is modern TV's and Refer, which it has, HD SAT isn't mentioned but that's an easy fix. With discount, a tire is most likely in the $600 range, FWIW.

I would seriously discount any MH without a maintenance history. Perform UOA on engine , tranny and cooling system an see. The Newell factory might have all you need. The next MH I buy will be 7-10 YO and I have no doubt it will last me until I can't drive it.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #17

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
... I used to be concerned about the age on a MH, brittle wiring and so on. These are not built like cars. Wiring bundles tied down, the cabinets because of the superb chassis stay tight, etc. The only concern is modern TV's and Refer, which it has, HD SAT isn't mentioned but that's an easy fix. With discount, a tire is most likely in the $600 range, FWIW.

I would seriously discount any MH without a maintenance history. Perform UOA on engine , tranny and cooling system an see. The Newell factory might have all you need. The next MH I buy will be 7-10 YO and I have no doubt it will last me until I can't drive it.
I will be buying used as well ... I'm slowly and carefully trying to build the case for why it is perfectly fine to buy a quality 10 year old coach.

Unfortunately for me, I won't be able to start my fulltiming adventures for another 5 years or so. But, fortunately, the extra time does allow me to learn as much as possible from others in this forum ...

It is enticing to think about buying a used 2010 Newell 5 years from now, instead of another used quality coach half its age. A 2010 Newell will have very nice kitchen appliances, A/C, Aquahot, leveling systems, and just about every option possible with 2010 technology. But, obviously, in 5 years time, the 2010 will not have the 4K or 8K TVs that 2020 coaches will have, nor the new refrigerators, etc. Still, 2010 technology is not bad ...

My intuition tells me that Newells are most likely well taken care of and do have good maintenance records ... But, the UOA on the engine, trans and heating are definitely a must just to make sure.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #18

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
My doesn't like the high gloss for sure…..sigh….
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The Newell is very modern interior, and the cornerstone is more traditional. I would think this alone would make your decision.

I happen to like the modern design, but some women especially hate their home to look like a space ship........
Same here. DW doesn't care for the glossy finish either. But, since each Newell is a custom build with custom floor plans, there may be some used Newells with the warm woodsy interiors for sale ...
Old 06-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #19

I cannot imagine what that newell is missing beyond perhaps a more modern looking paint scheme. That coach looks awesome. My only concern on a uber-luxury coach at 10 years old is replacing control systems. Where do you find a replacement panel for your star trek doors? The awesomely integrated systems concern me as they age, fail, and need to be replaced. They were so "niche" that the manufacturer cant just ship you a replacement for a 10 year old part, and the new version is totally incompatible.

That rig is a beast tho!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #20

Hey, you KNOW that you want the Newell !! Go for it. Take a test ride. Have a diesel mechanic friend look over the engine for you. Make sure the dealer shows you that all systems are functional. Don't be shy about snooping into every possible nook and cranny as well as requesting maintenance history.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #21

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
... My only concern on a uber-luxury coach at 10 years old is replacing control systems. Where do you find a replacement panel for your star trek doors? The awesomely integrated systems concern me as they age, fail, and need to be replaced. They were so "niche" that the manufacturer cant just ship you a replacement for a 10 year old part, and the new version is totally incompatible...
Chris,

Thank you. Your insight may just be the Achilles Heel to the idea of buying used 10 year old coaches like Newell and Prevost, etc.

You're absolutely right. The latest coaches have all kinds of electronic control systems. What happens when an embedded controller fails 10 years after its design and there is no way to fix it? ... I can see it now, you're out enjoying your MH, with your centrally controlled awnings deployed and the controller fails. You then call the factory and they don't have a compatible replacement part. You're stuck! ...

Do these luxury coach manufacturers have the designs done so that some appropriate newer plug-and-play module can be used for replacement? Systems WILL unfortunately fail eventually, may be in 10 or 20 years after manufacture of the coach, but some of those systems will fail. The trend is for more integrated systems controlling more and more amenities in modern coaches. Kind of scary and of obvious concern ...

Such issues are obviously handled differently by each manufacturer. Some manufacturers may have already handled such issues properly during the design of the original systems. That is, planned for replacement of modules, with alternates, once some original assembly is no longer available ... So, the moral of the story is to call Newell prior to buying an old coach to make sure the integrated control systems can be replaced as the MH ages.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #22

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Hey, you KNOW that you want the Newell !!
Who wouldn't want a Newell? The Engineer in me just loves machines built right. As a matter of fact, I'm spending a lot of time designing my own high quality custom sun-tracking solar system to put on the roof of RVs. It would look great on the roof of a Newell.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would contact Newell to address your concerns, but my guess is the Newell will depreciate less per year than the Cornerstone.

I prefer quality over newness, but that may not be your thing. I do agree the Newell will be more expensive to have worked on the house side as they are a custom coach builder. But the motor and likes shouldn't be any different.

To me it is a personal choice, you probably can't go wrong with either option.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If all else is equal, I'd choose a mid entry like the Newell
Subaru Outback, Cricket SW3
seasonedsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I know Newell builds a quality coach (more than I'll ever be able to afford) but I cannot get my head around all that laminate.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #26

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I know Newell builds a quality coach (more than I'll ever be able to afford) but I cannot get my head around all that laminate.
I can't buy a new Newell either ...

But, the reason that I started this thread is that I continue to look under every rock that I can think of in an effort to figure out the used unit for the DW and I to buy for fulltiming.

It seems that as a used Newell coach gets older, at some point, they may compete well with newer used Cornerstone and Newmar coaches ...

Since each Newell coach is built to order, you may be able to find the used unit that has just the right amenities and floor plan for you and the DW.

As far as laminate, because they're custom, you get solid wood or laminate, your choice.

But, I do see what you mean at their use of laminate. Way too flashy for us as well. Here is a link for pictures of two 2010 Newell coaches with way too much laminate for my taste:

http://www.newellcoach.com/newell-coaches/coach-1294/

http://www.newellcoach.com/newell-coaches/coach-1406/

Here is a page from Newell where they discuss the customization options for their coaches.

Customization: Making Your Newell Your Own - Newell Coach

Here is a page from Newell where they show 13 floor plans that you can choose as is, or have customized.

Floorplan Choices - Newell Coach

I'm sure there is a good used quality coach out there for everyone. I'm jealous of all those out there already enjoying the fulltiming lifestyle. One day ...

Old 06-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
If I could get all the maint. records and they looked good.......The Newell for sure.
Agree, if well kept and maintenance records are in line. No brainer
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #28

I would be scared to drive something that expensive.way too many bells and whistles. But then,if I could well afford to buy one and pay to maintain it,I would get one.