Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #29

Maybe you and I should chat. We have similar backgrounds (engineering) as well as a desire for quality machinery.

Short story ... wife and I had decided to have a custom Prevost built. We agonized over the floor plan, materials, etc..

None of the bus shell converters appeared to be keen on our desire for "simple, comfortable, and non-glitzy". Matter of fact we felt rather insulted by the attitude of "you don't want to have something that is ordinary".

Next step was to DIY. Not easy, but at least we now have what we want. The saga is long. If you want to chat about how we took a Prevost shell and converted it ourselves, send a PM.

Somewhere buried in the thread about "bus conversions" is my post with pictures.

By the way, your solar panel rigging might look great on top of my bus. 😎 Are you ready to set up the prototype?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401828521.920327.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	64517

Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #30
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
By the way, your solar panel rigging might look great on top of my bus. �� Are you ready to set up the prototype?
Unfortunately, because of other active projects, a DIY bus conversion is not in the schedule. Way too many moving parts already on my plate of things already started, needing to be finished.

The number one project is indeed the Solar modules for the RV. I apologize in advance to the moderator for taking this thread off topic for a moment ...

Essentially, multiple solar panels will sit inside an assembly, ~ 4' X 7' in size, on the roof of the RV. That assembly is where the panels will reside while the RV is in motion, for physical protection ... Once parked, the "storage" module will open, allowing the multiple solar panels to deploy. From GPS locations for latitude and longitude and from the current date/time, the system will know where to find the Sun at all times during the day. The tracking of the sun will be independent of which way the RV is parked ... Once ready to get on the road again, the panels will collapse into the storage unit ...

From an Engineering point of view, I already have the system requirements, project plan and Business Model in good shape. I'm currently designing one of the mechanical assemblies, the one that will allow the moving panels to clear the air conditioning, satellite units, and other stuff already on the roof. Lots of mechanical and electronic engineering, including Solidworks and ASME Y14.5 GD&T work going on ...

As it stands now, the Project schedule has me working on this for 5 years. Working on it part time. But, I do plan to make it into the machine shop, building some of the assemblies within 2 years.

As I get closer to prototypes, I would like to talk to you some more about it. This idea would definitely benefit from prototype system testing with multiple RVs and at locations throughout the US and Canada ... I wouldn't mind getting you one of the prototypes, at cost, if you would like to put it to the test ...

BTW, if anyone out there reading this says, hey, what a great idea. May be I'll just work on it myself. Please let me know and I'll buy yours instead of me working on this. Seriously. As anyone that has done Engineering for a long time knows, it is so much work. But, a system like this will help to make Boondocking just a little bit better. I wish someone had done this already so I would not have to work on it

cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
The Newell for sure!
05 Monaco, Signature 525 Hp Cummins
Jeep Grand Cherokee
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #32

Official iRV2 Sponsor
Overland Owners Club
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I cannot imagine what that newell is missing beyond perhaps a more modern looking paint scheme. That coach looks awesome. My only concern on a uber-luxury coach at 10 years old is replacing control systems. Where do you find a replacement panel for your star trek doors? The awesomely integrated systems concern me as they age, fail, and need to be replaced. They were so "niche" that the manufacturer cant just ship you a replacement for a 10 year old part, and the new version is totally incompatible.

That rig is a beast tho!

While this is a VERY valid point for the Newell, I would also submit that it is likely that there will be systems in the Anthem or Cornerstone, (and other comparable models) that when they fail a few years down the road will not have plug and play replacements either. This seems to be more of a trend now than it was even a few years ago.

Don & Anita Sweger
98 Overland Larado 4141SO
41' 325hp Cummins C8.3 Nicknamed "Lola"
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote