Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
The 10 yr. rule has been a very big issue in the Prevost community. A 10 yr. old Prevost, depending on the converter, can range from $550,000-$800,000.

In most cases, a 15 yr. old Prevost can easily appear to be only 4 or 5 yrs. old unless you are very aware of the minor style changes. Many in the Prevost Community have blacklisted the parks that have that rule (mainly for Prevost rallies).

I understand the rule as a guideline to keep out worn-out RV's, all rules should have an exception. To me, 15 yrs. would be a good age to start a restriction (for visual).

Mark
I don't think you have to worry about this, Your Coach is OK
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
So...

The x-year rule is the most fair and non-subjective way to do it (if any). Although many folks have outlined the flaws in this, having exceptions due to appearance is subjective and can be problematic.

Granting exceptions due to appearance have the following issues:
1. It is subjective.
2. In cases where a rig is obviously very nice or obviously very trashy, the choice is simple... however there is a lot of middle ground that can get you into trouble.
3. If you don’t have your decision making process well documented, you could open yourself up to litigation because someone could argue you are using illegal criteria to base your decision. For example: if you let a trashier rig, owned by white folks, in ... but you denied a nicer rig owned by non-white folks.
4. If you aren’t 100% consistent with your subjective criteria, you are putting yourself at risk (see item 3).

Have a x-year rule is the safer and easy way out. Everyone of course can see the problems with that.

To me, a x-year rule is easier to swallow than some yahoo basing his inspection on the wind direction.
So do you deserve a speeding ticket if you are doing 56 in a 55? There are rules and there are guidelines, If the reason for the rule is to keep out rigs that are an eye sore, but they use 10 years as the criteria, you should expect some exception, unless the real purpose of the rule is a ban on rigs over ten years, because of there age only, and nothing to do with their appearance.

I would not expect there would be a legal basis for a law suit, and if there was it would not be feasible, Business are permitted to discriminate as long as its not protected by the constitution. so if its not Age, gender or race you can set limits.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #59

The 10 yr. rule......

Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
I don't think you have to worry about this, Your Coach is OK
(reference to the 10 yr. rule).

LOL, I know I'm ok! Many in our Prevost group have coaches that are brand new to 20-plus yrs. in age.

There is a Prevost gathering in Michigan this summer in Petoskey, MI, at the Petoskey RV Resort. They do not have a 10 yr. rule (or have exceptions).

Hearthside Grove RV Resort, also in Petoskey, will NOT take coaches that are over 10 yrs. old, NO EXCEPTIONS! So, we as a group, have to look out for the others driving their beautiful 10+ yrs. old coaches.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #60

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
(reference to the 10 yr. rule).

LOL, I know I'm ok! Many in our Prevost group have coaches that are brand new to 20-plus yrs. in age.

There is a Prevost gathering in Michigan this summer in Petoskey, MI, at the Petoskey RV Resort. They do not have a 10 yr. rule (or have exceptions).

Hearthside Grove RV Resort, also in Petoskey, will NOT take coaches that are over 10 yrs. old, NO EXCEPTIONS! So, we as a group, have to look out for the others driving their beautiful 10+ yrs. old coaches.

Mark
Being the Ass that I am...I would have all the "over 10 year old" coaches stop by on their way to the CG that will allow older coaches...Just pull in and ask what the age limit in their CG is.... Then say Oh I'm Sorry and mention where they are staying...as they leave.... but then again I am an ass at times....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #61

Why is it that if a campground owner want's to make sure that he rents only to those who care for and take pride in their RVs there are so many on here who want to take that as some kind of personal insult?

If you decide to not patronize a business that has certain minimum standards then that's certainly your right. I just don't understand why you take it so personal.

I wonder how many on here who complain about a 10 year rule also complain about the old beat up RV they had to park next to at some time in the past?

And discrimination is not an illegal or immoral activity except when it involves a specifically protected class. We all discriminate when when we shop at one store instead of another. If you shop at Fresh Market instead of Wal-Mart you probably consider yourself to be a "discriminating shopper" and you're probably proud of it.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #62

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Why is it that if a campground owner want's to make sure that he rents only to those who care for and take pride in their RVs there are so many on here who want to take that as some kind of personal insult?

If you decide to not patronize a business that has certain minimum standards then that's certainly your right. I just don't understand why you take it so personal.

I wonder how many on here who complain about a 10 year rule also complain about the old beat up RV they had to park next to at some time in the past?

And discrimination is not an illegal or immoral activity except when it involves a specifically protected class. We all discriminate when when we shop at one store instead of another. If you shop at Fresh Market instead of Wal-Mart you probably consider yourself to be a "discriminating shopper" and you're probably proud of it.
First because I'm an ass.
2nd... Prevost/Newell/Foretravel/Country Coaches & a few others... the owners take pride in their rides no matter how old they are...and keep them as close to showroom quality as they can...AND.... before you blow up and throw a hissy fit.....I am not in any way shape or form saying or insinuating that owners of other FINE coaches do not take care of their equipment...
My intent was and is to impress the prejudiced against the older coaches that not everyone with an older RV are blue tarp trailer trash..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
2nd... Prevost/Newell/Foretravel/Country Coaches & a few others... the owners take pride in their rides no matter how old they are...and keep them as close to showroom quality as they can...AND.... before you blow up and throw a hissy fit.....I am not in any way shape or form saying or insinuating that owners of other FINE coaches do not take care of their equipment...
My intent was and is to impress the prejudiced against the older coaches that not everyone with an older RV are blue tarp trailer trash..
I still don't understand why you would take such a rule as a personal insult but you apparently do. I guess some folks are just a little more tightly would than I am.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I guess the question that leads to is if anything goes , And you were a RV park owner. Can we agree a "CAMPGROUND" ..one with Tents pop ups etc and isn't a problem? How would you deal with the " faded run down a bit " RV that wants in your park? The couple look strung out with telltale signs of meth use. You've got a bad feeling of trouble because as a owner you've been around the block with problem "campers" What do you tell them so you can not be sued ?
Old 03-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #65

I just checked availability at a "resort" type campground (looked nice) in AL and on the page where it showed the prices it had a "...motorhome must be not older than 15 years old" ... oh well.
My rig doesn't look like a "new" model that they are used to - a flat front model.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #66

10 Year Rule at RV Parks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post

Yes, we get it. Some Prevost owners have rigs that are older than 10 years old... and keep them in nice shape. Guess what? The 10 year rule isn’t about you. It doesn’t take much critical thinking to figure that out. Yes, the 10-year-rule net catches some that keep their rigs in nice running condition... but that is the nature of rules. Sometimes it includes/excludes some that would not be intended.

I’m sure the campground doesn’t care that you take your Prevost business elsewhere. Unless you are paying more for the camping spot than a non-Prevost owner, it doesn’t really matter as long as they keep booked-up.

You sound like a whiney kid that wants to take his ball home.

This thread really highlights the fact that some people are fine preaching rules... unless they disagree with them.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I guess the question that leads to is if anything goes , And you were a RV park owner. Can we agree a "CAMPGROUND" ..one with Tents pop ups etc and isn't a problem? How would you deal with the " faded run down a bit " RV that wants in your park? The couple look strung out with telltale signs of meth use. You've got a bad feeling of trouble because as a owner you've been around the block with problem "campers" What do you tell them so you can not be sued ?
We used to own a campground . I would have said "Sorry we are booked up" no vacancies . We had a 10 yr rule and it was only for the purpose of avoiding people that appeared could be a problem . NOW Before I get FLAMED .....we had many MANY older units in our campground . I just waved the rule . Usually never mentioned the "rule". It wasn't posted anywhere . It was only on a sheet of paper I kept near the register . Anybody we turned away , all of you would not want for your neighbor ! OK ...flame on
Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Why do you assume that ONLY people with motor coaches less that 10 years old "care for and take pride in their RV's"? Seriously? I will not comment here on the issue of personal insults as per forum rules...
Old 03-04-2018, 04:23 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I just checked availability at a "resort" type campground (looked nice) in AL and on the page where it showed the prices it had a "...motorhome must be not older than 15 years old" ... oh well.
My rig doesn't look like a "new" model that they are used to - a flat front model.
It is a cool looking unit. Kind of like a 57 Chevy cool is cool and now we have Kia's.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:59 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
our coach is always 8 years old.....................in 2015 it was 8, 2016 it was 8, etc...................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote