Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

A diesel genset uses about 0.5 gal/hour at 50% load, which easily covers use of one A/c full out plus normal electrical needs for fridge, lighting, water heater, etc.

Today's high efficiency Energy Star electric fridges use only about 1.25-1.5 KWH or power per DAY, so they contribute relatively little to generator run time. Compare that to an a/c, which uses about 1.25 KWH per HOUR!

For boondocking the biggest drawback in an all-electric coach is the electric cooktop and microwave oven. If you use them a lot, you will need the use the genny too. The Aquahot system does a nice job of providing heat and hot water via diesel power, so that's not an issue.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #16

When we turn on the microwave, and /or cooktop the generator just kicks on. Same with vacuum cleaner. Pretty simple. We have aqua hot on our all electric coach and that provides a lot of heat. When we are on batteries I usually flip off the electric hot water heater and just turn on the aqua hot when I need hot water.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #17

1/2 way there

We have a '98 coachmen DP that is slowly getting converted to all electric. So far have replaced Dometic side by side to a 22cu.ft fridgidare sxs with ice maker and cold water. Have converted water heater to electric, have 2 ovens..one w/rotisserie and one with convection. The gas stove(magic chef 3 burner and oven) will be coming out and replaced by induction 2 burner countertop cooktop..uses 15amp 120 service. Also have the obligatory microwave. Have an electric fireplace for heat and ambiance, 2 inverters(1 2000/4000 watt and 1 1000watt with 100amp charger and 30 amp pass through.

Incoming power is 50amp/220watt./generator is 7000kw oman./solar is 60 watt, soon to be updated to 120 watt.

The only propane we will be using is for outdoor grilling and fireplace.

I figure on using the campground power for most of my needs.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWobblin View Post

I figure on using the campground power for most of my needs.
That's great if you ALWAYS are in a campground! We usually stay at Wal*Marts for two days when in transit then hit a campground. Although we have done Quartzsite too so I won't buy an all electric rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
what about michigan winters, and the heat ???

all night long ?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #20

All electric is not an option for me D/W doesn't like to here the gen run. However I would think if you purchased an all electric coach, it would become second nature planning your camping around electric sites, and I do like the all elec Res fridge idea, after all you have an inverter and you do charge batterys while the engine is running.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The all electric models of the Revolution come with eight 6v batteries and two 2,000 watt inverters. The one I saw had a full sized Whirlpool Gold SS side by side with ice and water. Even if you opt for the electric refrig and propane stove, you get the same battery set up.

BTW, they also come with two separate chassis batteries with 1,000 cold cranking amps...each.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #22

Our all electric has aqua hot diesel heat so cold nights are not a problem.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I could live with a residential refrigerator and Aqua Hot, but I have to have propane for the stove cooktop and BBQ grill.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a
I could live with a residential refrigerator and Aqua Hot, but I have to have propane for the stove cooktop and BBQ grill.
I'm with you. We dry camp alot and cook alot. Propane cooktop and oven is simply key for us. The electric fridge is an option tho'...I'd just add a few more batteries and another solar panel.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have an induction stove in the bricks and sticks . It is just fantastic..
Now some rv manufacturers are installing a 110V two burner model . that will be a nice upgrade .. I use a portable induction single burner in the coach at times.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
270amp alternator sounds like it would cut fuel mpg by alot. Im sure it takes double the hp to spin that thing! Must have 0 guage wire coming off it!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The Revolution comes with a 170 amp alternator and the Tradition (one step up) comes with a 200 amp alternator, as does my Allegiance.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just attended the California RV show and noticed too that a great deal of the new DP's are now all electric. I agree with others that I would love a residential fridge and aqua hot system, but the wife & I would find it difficult to give up our propane stove. Most of the CG's we visit only offer 30 amp service, which would present a problem for us when camping in the summer months, especially if the stove requires more than 30 amps.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote