Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #1

Question 100% Electric Class A option?

Recently, I went shopping for a new Fleetwood Revolution and found a model that had been sitting in a lot for quite a awhile. We liked everything about it. However, when we looked thru it we did not see a propane tank and realized it had a 100% electirc option. The stove was all electric and I assume the refrigerator was too.

I have owned two units before with propane and liked the cooking and the ability to run the refrig. for long periods with propane as well.

Has anyone had this type of set up and did it work ok or did it drain the batteries too quickly?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those that are on the A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page that have them seem to like them. And several have "upgraded" their coaches to "all electric" getting rid of the propane. You may wish to look around on that site as well for your answers to going for long periods with no propane.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you decide to pursue this avenue, I would recommend the battery banks be new at time of purchase. Also, if the coach does not have an auto generator start system that one be installed as part of the deal. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #4

If one does not do a lot of dry camping and primarly stay at parks with 50A electric great, 20 or 30A will not do you much good. However be prepaired for the generator to run a lot, and they do cost to run (about a gallon and hour). Auto start on the genny as RV Wizard said is a must.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

All Electric

Find out what the "All Electric" pkg consist of.

We love our "All Electric" 02 Monaco Signature. The all electric pkg consist of: 1) five 255 ah AGM house batteries, 2) two large solar panels(15 amps), 3) two 3000 watt inverters, 4) 270 amp alternator, 5) 300 amp battery isolator, 6) auto gen start, 7) 22 c.f. residential refrig,, 8) two burner electric cooktop.

Make certain the house batteries are in good shape because the Lifeline AGMs like we have cost $700 ea. Our solar panels keep the batteries charged when dry camping. We have never needed the auto gen start. We love having the residential size refrig.that won't burst into flames like the Norcolds & Dometics.

We hope this helps
Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just took plant tours of Fleetwood, Thor, & Newmar and out of the three Fleetwood & Thor said this was the new thing in motorhomes. Both company's said it would start with the diesels first but would make it's way down to gas motorhome in the next few years.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love ours. If you're looking at an '10 or newer then you'll see 8 dedicated AGM batteries, two Inverters (with one dedicated to the fridge), and auto generator start. You'd have to be very unreasonable in your use of power to have a problem with this coach, even if dry camping. We've had four "propane coaches" and with all the stories of problems and disasters we just decided to do away with it altogether. Then there's the driveability and quality of construction on the Revolution which just makes it even more attractive I think. Good luck.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #8

Thank you for the repsonses.

I am impressed. This was my fisrt time on the Forum and the advice all was clear and consise. More importantly, it came from peole with real experience. But, what was really amazing is that some of you are up at 3 and 4 in the morning!! Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonegate4 View Post
Recently, I went shopping for a new Fleetwood Revolution and found a model that had been sitting in a lot for quite a awhile. We liked everything about it. However, when we looked thru it we did not see a propane tank and realized it had a 100% electirc option. The stove was all electric and I assume the refrigerator was too.

I have owned two units before with propane and liked the cooking and the ability to run the refrig. for long periods with propane as well.

Has anyone had this type of set up and did it work ok or did it drain the batteries too quickly?
TIFFIN all electric option comes with a glass INDUCTION electric cooktop (faster )& free set of compatible cookware but can only be used with 50a shore or 10-12kw generator power as it requires 220volts to operate-not useable on inverter power !!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

My coach is half way there - electric domestic fridge and propane stove. I presume the "all electric" coach has an aqua-hot as well.

Love the aqua-hot, really like the electric fridge but we do have to run the gen set more than we would like (need about 4 hours a day) because of the fridge - the halogen lights are power pigs and they don't help.

We run the gen set if the micro wave is on, and I image you would probably run it if the stove is on. We do like the propane stove, and we can survive nicely on 20A if we don't use the AC.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We ordered our 2011 Revolution 'all electric', and are very happy we did.

We spent almost one week at a rally this past summer with a 30 amp hookup, no problems. I ran two A/C units at once, only shutting one down if we wanted to use the microwave (although the power management system would probably have taken care of it without my intervention). I set the hot water (Auqa Hot) to diesel only.

We dry camped in extremely hot weather earlier in the summer. We were out of the coach most of the day and the batteries kept up with the fridge no problem. At night I set the generator on auto, controlled by the demands of the A/C unit in the bedroom, and over a period of 10 hours the generator only accumulated 3 hours total running time. No doubt if we'd been in the coach during the heat of the day the percentage of generator run time would have been much greater. The heat will run on battery only, but we've not tested that to it's limits yet.

So far I calculate I'm using about 5.5 gallons per hour of generator use, but I'm sure a 1 gallon per hour burn rate could be reached if using all 3 A/C units continuously combined with a lot of use of the electric stove top and/or the microwave.

The only LP we have on board is a small bottle for our gas grill. The space normally reserved for the LP tank became additional storage space.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We ordered our 2011 Revolution 'all electric', and are very happy we did.

We spent almost one week at a rally this past summer with a 30 amp hookup, no problems. I ran two A/C units at once, only shutting one down if we wanted to use the microwave (although the power management system would probably have taken care of it without my intervention). I set the hot water (Auqa Hot) to diesel only.

We dry camped in extremely hot weather earlier in the summer. We were out of the coach most of the day and the batteries kept up with the fridge no problem. At night I set the generator on auto, controlled by the demands of the A/C unit in the bedroom, and over a period of 10 hours the generator only accumulated 3 hours total running time. No doubt if we'd been in the coach during the heat of the day the percentage of generator run time would have been much greater. The heat will run on battery only, but we've not tested that to it's limits yet.

So far I calculate I'm using about 5.5 gallons per hour of generator use, but I'm sure a 1 gallon per hour burn rate could be reached if using all 3 A/C units continuously combined with a lot of use of the electric stove top and/or the microwave.

The only LP we have on board is a small bottle for our gas grill. The space normally reserved for the LP tank became additional storage space.
Jay is this correct. Are you burning 5.5 gallons of fuel per hour of generator use? Or is that .55 gallons per hour?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #13

We have a 2002 Country Coach Affinity all electric. We will never go back to a coach with propane. We do have four house batteries and 2 chassis batteries. All 8D size. We currently have all AGM, batteries. I do not think AGM batts are necessary. Deep cycle standard ones would work fine. We have auto on with our generator. Even if you don't have that you just run your genny once or twice each day depending on your use. We did that for a while because our auto gen computer needed a new battery.

The only negative think I can say is that electric stoves take a while to heat up and cool off.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Jay is this correct. Are you burning 5.5 gallons of fuel per hour of generator use? Or is that .55 gallons per hour?
That slippery little decimal point. You are correct. It should have read .55 gallons.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote