Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
100 gallons of fuel ?

So I have tried to put 100 gallons of fuel in my DP. Shuts off at about 3/4 to 8/10's full. At Flying J today a Tiffin owner (2008 Pheaton) told me his has never taken a full tank. He said he has been told it is a vent problem. He told me one of his buds, left both fillers open and all it did was spill fuel all over. Anyone have any ideas. We have fill lines on both sides of the coach. I have filled from both during the same fill-up. Let me know if it's me or a problem with the tank design. Thanks.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My DP has a statement in the manual that it holds APPROX. so many gallons of fuel, also diesel fuel foams badly when fueling--especially with high pressure pumps such as found at truck stops. Also, you could check your air escape hose to ensure it can vent the tank air over board. Insects,ants often build nest in these small openings. When I want to top off the tank, I go to a station that uses the small nozzles vs high pressure, and fill very slowly to prevent foaming.
Oleo Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would presume you drove your DP to the station. If so then there is no way you are going to put 100 gals in. I would surmize that the tank would have to be bone dry in order to put nearly the 100 gals in. Isn't that driving the DP just a little to close to the edge for comfort though? I start thinking about topping off when it falls just under 1/2. At 1/4 I start getting a little nervous and at 1/8 I am working up a sweat looking for a station with diesel. If you go beyond that then I bow to your bravery.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The same thing was happening to us when fueling. Because Diesel foams, I restart the pump after it sits a few minutes. Then I was still unable to get it close to the full mark on the gauge. I recently found a little trick...When I restart the pump I don't put the pump handle into any of the grooves that hold it open. Instead, I have found that I can watch the pump gauge and see that fuel is going in slowly. I just have to be careful so it doesn't spill. The coach fuel gauge then shows very close to full. BUT, everything considered, is it really important to get those last drops in the tank? Probably not. Happy travels, Joe
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I guess I am fortunate. When filling diesel at a local grocery fuel station, my average mpg for that fill drops near 15%. I assume the tank accepts more fuel because my rig is level and the pumps are very slow.

However, I can pretty well predict the fuel needed for refill by assuming 26 gallons per 1/4 level of the fuel gauge.

So, I am reasonably sure that I carry 110 actual gallons when full.

26 gallons will be nearly 200 miles of additional travel. So I begin looking for fuel when the gauge creeps near the 1/4 mark.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #6

I can get my fuel tank gauge reading full with no problems. Diesel fuel does foam as noted in the posts above. So if you have a computer on your coach, fill at full velocity until you're maybe 10 gallons away from full (according to the computer) and then nurse the last 5-10 gallons in. It should fill completely.

Threads here on irv2.com have noted venting problems with some coaches. If you have a Freightliner, call 1-800-FTL-HELP and ask them if there are any solutions to your specific coach.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
All tanks have a expansion space. Plus the pick up is not completely on the bottom.
You will never get 100 gal of fuel in a 100 gal tank.

On my 90 gal tank the low fuel light will come on solid at 64 gal.
I always stop at the next fuel stop down the road. I don't really want to call my ERS for fuel. Even if they do say, that is covered.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Everyone has there own method. I start thinking about fuel after about 450 miles or so on the trip meter. When I get to the station I divide the miles driven by 7 and also by 8. (I tend to average 7.5 mpg) I then have a good feeling for how many gallons I can take on. So if I have 525 miles on the trip meter I estimate I'll add somewhere between 65 and 75 gallons. If the pump shuts off at 50 gallons I know I haven't come close to filling the tank or I've had a real strong tail wind and going down hill. If it takes more than 75 I start getting nervous and wonder if I was into the wind and up hill for most of the trip. Anyhow this works for me. I believe I have a 100 gallon tank but sure wouldn't be comfortable if I took 90 or more gallons.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #9

Not sure of your chassis but this may be of some help fuel_vent_hose
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have air leveling on my coach, I manually tilt the coach away from the fill. I get a lot more in that way. Foam, as stated, is an issue, especially at truck pumps.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 2 doors on my unit. If I fill the tank to full, I just watch the fuel spill out when I pull off. I just stop when the handle clicks. Mine holds 150 gal, I just cry every time I fill it up!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #12

I do the same as 38 Special, I lower the side opposite the side I am using to fill the tank. the coach holds 128 gallons and I have put in over 110 already....that was not by intention....
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Call Freightliner and see if your chassis is eligible for a new fuel tank. There is an old post on the forum from 2008 dealing with this issue and how FCCC was replacing tanks.

I called in early 2009 and they replaced my tank. Much better filling but no where near 100 gallons ever goes in.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I agree with 1CiderDog, I don't go by the gauge I watch my mileage and when I fuel up I can normally guess within 2 gallons of what it takes to fill up.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote