Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #29
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I think people tend to underestimate what can be had for less than $100K. We bought ours from a very motivated seller in 2011 for $75K. The deals are out there if you're patient and do your homework.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #30

We bout a new 2015 Fleetwood Terra SE 33s new on 2016.
Added DirecTV Traveler. Rosdmaster front and rear sway bars plus the Safe-T-Plus and differential track bar.
Our the door taxes 7 year Extended plan at $700 a year FOR $103K
We pay $753 a year for insurance.
I tow 2007 Saturn Vue and have slept 6 easily in Colorado winter.
I would never buy a 10 year old RV. Some do but I prefer new.
We are considering a DP for a rear bath and quieter drive but every time we travel we ask each other if we really need to.
I see soo many posts about diesel repair cost that I plan not sure I would like to own one.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In 2014 we sold our 2005 36' Monaco Diplomat for $85K with 71000 miles. I had installed a Samsung residential refer and replaced both TV's with quality flat screens. The inside and out was immaculate with more upgrades than I could list. The couple that bought our Diplomat walked into one that required NOTHING. All they had to do was drive. It still looked just like this when I sold it. You CAN buy a nice diesel pusher for $100K that will be ready to drive away if you look carefully. Monaco was a HUGE coach builder back then and there are still thousands of Monacos in great shape on the road.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:05 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
IMHO, older used DP is the way to go and you're right on about a mid 2000 Newmar rig. Well built and layed out coaches. They're out there if your patient. I would look at Tiffin and Country Coach too. Go luck and hope you find what you want.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #33

I am in a similar position as you, and actually a similar location to you as well. We looked for about 8 months before we decided to purchase and we are also going full time. We purchased a 2017 Thor Challenger 37KT from MHSRV in Fort Worth. First off mine was a little over your budget of 100K but not much, and if I needed to stay closer to that 100K I would have gotten a Mirimar but we loved the 37KT floorplan so made it work.

One of the things you will see around this forum is the quality of Thor VS others. I cant speak to long term quality but first off quality on my unit is excelent. Now that said it has for sure had a few issues, but we picked it up at MHSRV and stayed there for 2 days getting used to it, asking questions, and getting minor repairs done. This was my wifes and I first RV of any type, Family didn't have one, never rented, just jumped in with both feet, so we knew going into it we would have a lot to learn, and still do.

I am very happy with the quality we got, the included items that aren't necessarily included by other manufactures. To me, thor is the best bang for your buck brand out there. Now that said with it being a lower price point I totally anticipate and plan for issues. I also have no problem getting a screwdriver or drill out and getting my hands dirty.

We did look at used but for us having all of the latest and greatest features such as LED lights, cameras in the mirrors and backup cameras, flat screen TV, residential refrigerator, standard factory inverter, bluetooth audio throughout, all of that is something I would have added to whatever coach we got, and that would add a lot of cost and work, and I just wasn't interested in it, plus I like knowing the history and maintenance is done right.

What we did is not the right way or the wrong way, and honestly there is not a right or wrong way. What is right for me may not be right for you, that is why they make so many different units and brands.

Good luck, and if you need any advice on storage in the central arkansas area I can help you out. There is only 2 places currently with available covered storage for a RV around 38 feet, if you want that info I'd be happy to send it along.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #34

Easy. A nice used DP like this 2004 Monaco Windsor. This is a gem, quad slide, aqua hot, last year of the heavier rear axle (23,000 lb vs 20,000), side radiator, Cummins ISL 400 hp , etc. This coach had an MSRP of over $300K, probably closer to $350K. DeMartini RV Sales - New and Used Motorhome Dealer | Detail | Vehicles

I've seen tag axle Dynasty's for this kind of money as well. Lot's of good DP choices in your budget out there. Once you've been in a couple of each type you are asking about, you'll see what we are talking about. The quality of materials, roadmanners, much more robust systems, more storage, better floorplans are all going to be present in 10-15 year old DP's.

Nothing against the gasser crowd but there really is no comparison.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
Easy. A nice used DP like this 2004 Monaco Windsor. This is a gem, quad slide, aqua hot, last year of the heavier rear axle (23,000 lb vs 20,000), side radiator, Cummins ISL 400 hp , etc. This coach had an MSRP of over $300K, probably closer to $350K. DeMartini RV Sales - New and Used Motorhome Dealer | Detail | Vehicles

I've seen tag axle Dynasty's for this kind of money as well. Lot's of good DP choices in your budget out there. Once you've been in a couple of each type you are asking about, you'll see what we are talking about. The quality of materials, roadmanners, much more robust systems, more storage, better floorplans are all going to be present in 10-15 year old DP's.

Nothing against the gasser crowd but there really is no comparison.

That's a lot of coach for the money imo. Nice find
Old 06-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #36

Very similar situation MUCH smaller budget. Our situation was we RVed a lot when younger with kids and could only afford Gas coaches. When we got out of it and ultimately now back in it I knew what I did not want and some things I did. We had a budget of 50k All in. I knew I wanted a dp for the most part but we did look at everything from Class B, Class C and Class A gas. I just knew in the back of my mind I really wanted a DP but even used what are you going to find for 50k?

We were in no hurry so I searched.....and searched.......aaaaannnnnnndddddd....searched to a point I was throwing in the towel and just going to give up the idea all together. Then I remembered there has been a 2004 Beaver DP with 62000mmiles sitting next a friend of mines house for a while but the people did not want to sell it. I made multiple calls asking all unreturned.

I kept looking and found a nice Newmar way below book value. As I researched more on this there were some issues that were going to need some significant investment but it was 40k so even with 10k to bring it back to good mechanical condition it was still way below book. No more had we decided this was the coach I got a call from the Beaver owner and after some research on here we ended up buying it for under 30k. It needs some cosmetics but has brand new tires and is in good mechanical condition. Made some calls to paint shops to bring the cosmetics back to where they should be. All in we will be at $40k including tax, title and first years insurance. If you can find a similar deal you would have $60k for fix ups and repairs. That will go a long way.

The moral to the story? Research what you think you want even if way out of your budget then be patient. You'll find the coach you want at the price you want.

I did the same thing with a go fast pontoon boat. Always wanted one but at $135k for new it was never going to happen. I searched and waited and ended up getting a used 2007 425HP 496 HO Mag with 35 hours on it this is a solid 60mph pontoon boat for $35k. I have been offered $70k multiple times. I figure I can sell the Beaver for over what we paid even with all the fixes so both have a few years before their value drops below what we paid.

Oh and with repairs especially for older rigs that are diesels for maintenance and repairs there is no law saying you need to go to a dealer at $125 an hour. Think outside the box and look for smaller shops or even some local excavators or private heavy truck users a lot of them have fleets of trucks with the same engines and transmissions the DP's use. Some of them have very large shops and welcome some money making repairs since most of what they do is maintenance on their rigs its all expense to them. Your work is profit at a lot lower cost then a dealer.

If you run into a chassis issue that might be dealer issue to resolve but I have found in the calls I have made in the last few days most of the manufacturers can diagnose a good portion of issues right over the phone.

I vote for older DP.

Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #37

We were in a similar dilemma a few years ago when we were finally ready to move from our first gas coach to our first diesel. My budget was 6-10 year old DP and we spent many weekends traveling to dealers looking at used DP but there was always something in each one that one of us didn't like. We didn't want carpet, gold bathroom fixtures, white furniture, and several other things that were pretty much standard in the DPs in our price range plus we were looking at a lot of coaches from manufacturers that were no longer in business. We started looking and driving new gas coaches as well as the used DPs but with an open mind that the drive and ride were not comparable. We eventually decided that new house components, more up to date decor, and better floor plan trumped the ride and drive of the older DPs and ordered a new gas coach and haven't regretted it. Well maybe a little in a 30 mph crosswind on a long hill but still we spend more time in it parked than behind the steering wheel. It really depends on how you use it, we both still work so most of our trips are 2-3 short weekends or we take the coach places long term and drive the toad back and forth home. When it's up on the jacks, it doesn't know it doesn't have air ride or 1000 ft pounds of torque nor do I care. There are several new gassers in the 100 k range as well as 2-3 year old upper scale gas coaches in that price range. When we retire we may scratch that diesel itch and have been casually looking at gently used DPs but as yet haven't found a floor plan we like as well as our 36 LA.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #38

It just posted yesterday one in the sweet spot 06 Monaco Diplomat, Low mileage DP one of the better Builders, Monaco you should really look at this one, it needs nothing, 18000 in provable upgrades, . I the last year and a half. get in and drive anywhere. documented service history. and a days ride south in Tx. negotiable price of course.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #39

Thank you!

I can't thank everyone enough for the feedback. It has given me and DH so much to think about. If only we'd win the lottery, then it would be so much easier! lol

We will continue to research floor plans, quality issues, etc., and building the budget for now. If we have to wait for the right coach, so be it. It will be worth it in the long run.

Keep that advice coming!
Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #40

Diesel pusher all the way. I have had both and there is no comparison.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #41

Have you looked at the Classifieds here on iRV2. There are some good deal but you may have to travel a few miles, nothing like a road trip.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #42

Once a person has decided that a motorhome is their style, the most difficult decision IMO is this discussion. The cost of a 2018 Newmar Canyon Star equals that of a 2012-13 Ventana which equals that of a 2009-10 Dutch Star. As folks have responded and shared their opinions and observations, it's clear that many people have struggled with this same conundrum.

Tags
class a, gas