Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
102" MH in 96" States????

I was looking through the Jan 2015 FMCA magazine at MH regulations by state. I saw that all through West Virginia the widest MH they allow is 96" and Illinois, Kentucky, and New York only allow 102" on designated highways and Pennsylvania allows 102" unless posted. Has anyone with a 102" wide MH run into any problems in any of these states? I was planning on hitting all of those states this spring/summer/fall. However if I have to stay on the Interstate it won't be worth the effort if I'm going to get popped every time I hit the surface roads.
Yours in confusion
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

I have a 102 in NYA and never heard of any restrictions on how wide you can be. Bought and inspected in NY.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We've had our 102.5" Suncruiser from IL to IN,OH,PA,NY,KY,TN, AL, GA, SC, NC without any problem no matter what road. Actually think someone would need a really good eye to notice an 8" difference going down highway
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Unless there's a burning need for Law Enforcement to check closely (you trying to drive your 102" rig down a 100" alley) I'll make a prediction that you will NEVER be checked, let alone cited. Law enforcement has many other important tasks to do without getting a tape measure out on your rig.

These laws and limits are generally have evolved slowly over the years, and some states are more than somewhat slow in getting into the 20th century, let alone the 21st. I used to teach safety issues to LEOS a few years ago and talking with them about RV specific items was enlightening. They have very, very few problems with RV's so their knowledge of RV issues is much less than those things which give them the most headaches. Don't loose any sleep about this, the rest of us don't.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Chances are the magazine has some miss information in it. All states allow 102" wide and even give an addition 2" per side for items such as awning and slide out covers.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks to all as we are buying and picking up our new 2015 Itasca Meridian 35M which is 8'5.5" and this width thing had us a little concerned as we have plans of touring the US. Not going to loose any sleep over it. Happy Trails!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My RV is 8'5.5" and I have been in 42 States and 2 Provinces with no problems.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I own a small fleet of 53' & 48" step deck trailers. They are all 102" wide and we cover the lower 48 states. Here's another rub. all our 102" wide trailers have front to back roll tarp systems that overhang each side of the trailer by 3" for a total width of 108" That extra 6" is known as "dunage" and is legal. It's like having a 102" wide coach and obviously needing wider mirrors than that, like 108". We travel all roads, everywhere. (Except NYC).
Augerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

At one time I had 102 commercial vehicle, I live in KY on a very narrow road, many times I passed police on the way home and nary a problem. I have faith that one day Kentucky will make it to the 20th century, lol.
phrrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

But the Mirrors make it wider than 102" ?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some states have that restriction but it's only on State roads, not Interstates. But they usually don't enforce it UNLESS there's a reason, like a wreck caused by being overwidth. Mirrors and awnings don't count when measuring the width, only the body itself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not gone that far east in the motor home (Did with trailers) but in KY the only problem was drift.. I accidently drifted into a ditch and addang near rolled it.. Thanks to quick thinking and response kept the black rubber down and the white rubber up (Got to modify that old line on a motor home) but... Was exciting for a bit.

I now take those KY backroads a bit slower. (And less of 'em).
Old 01-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
We've had our 102.5" Suncruiser from IL to IN,OH,PA,NY,KY,TN, AL, GA, SC, NC without any problem no matter what road. Actually think someone would need a really good eye to notice an 8" difference going down highway
Especially since there's only 6" difference between 102" and 96".
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #14

How much?

Most of what they are looking for is big rigs with oversized loads that are running without permits. Most of the time someone has to hold the dumb end of the tape and you can fudge a little so it measures less.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote