Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

10amp fuse keeps blowing

I have a 2012 Fleetwood Storm 28ms class A and it keeps blowing a fuse. I've had this issue for a while now. Seems like when I start the RV and it's connected to shore power the 10A fuse blows. The result will not let the chassis battery/alternator charge the house batteries which will also not work the slide out very well if at all. However it seems like if I am not connected to shore power and start the RV it does not effect the fuse at all. (Long story...) Fast forward to today, the house batteries seem to be discharged fully and absolutely no water in them (I think they need replacing). Anyway now when I start the generator the same 10 amp fuse blows immediately and all power shuts off. I'm thinking since the house batteries are dead that's why the fuse is blowing??? Maybe the generator is trying to get juice from the chassis battery to start and it blows the fuse??? Why is the 10amp fuse blowing or is this normal? I've included a pic of the fuse layout. Not sure if it will upload. The fuse is the one labeled as Radio Power/AUX 10 AMP. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	123200  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #2

First determine everything on that fuse.

Does it flash or just open up.

If it flashes there is likely a short and if it works for awhile then fails then just too many things connected.

A guess is someone has added a few items to existing wiring and overloaded it

So if it is working then failing map it meaning note everything that is connected then determine anything not factory.

You may need to add a new circuit and fuse for those added items.

Also look for any modified wiring as someone may have got creative.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Long story short, I'm the first and only owner and I've not added anything to it. The fuse problem has been here since day 1. On our 1st trip we hooked up at a camp ground and the slide wouldn't go out. The engine was running but not enough power for the slide. After 30 or so minutes the shore power must have charged the house batteries enough to get the slide out. I traced the problem to the blown fuse. Replaced it and it worked. However from time to time I forget and start the engine while on shore power and then blown fuse. Should I be able to crank the engine on shore power? And why cranking the engine on shore power causes a fuse to blow?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

If original owner should have got dealer to fix but too late for that unless you can find a work order for it while in warranty.

So action now is contact manufacturer direct and seek their assistance.

State issue since new and what causes failure.

Request a wiring diagram as well as a distribution chart or a listing by fuse of the loads.

Say the list has 5 items on fuse 1 and 5 on fuse 2 you can put good fuses in and make sure all items work then pull one fuse at a time and confirm list is correct.

If fuse blowing related to engine running then an isolator may be issue or something silly.

By verifying the connections to each fuse you can confirm correct or maybe in above 2 items on fuse 1 and 8 on fuse 2.

Get a voltmeter that can measure amps as well.

Report back as you go.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No, it's not "normal" for a fuse to blow when you connect to shore power or start genset. It is being overloaded for some reason, and merely activating 120v power should not cause that.

It's impossible to guess what might be on that circuit in addition to the radio, but it is likely a bunch of things. For example, the controller boards for fridge & water heater, maybe the furnace fan, a wall thermostat if you have one, etc. Will need to work through them to isolate what is causing the excess current draw.

Try putting distilled water in the batteries to see if they can recover. If not, replace them. And either take better care of them in the future or get AGM sealed batteries so you don't have to mind them.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
you could try a "slo blo" fuse. If the fuse is blowing because of a momentary high draw ie a motor starting he slo blo might help. Also look into a circuit breaker.
jporietis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible it shouldn't be a 10 amp fuse ?
but maybe a 20 or 30 ???

Don't change it to higher amp unless you know that's the correct size, but I found one on ours that I would guess someone ran out of 30 amp and plugged a 10 amp in
Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormguy View Post
I have a 2012 Fleetwood Storm 28ms class A and it keeps blowing a fuse. I've had this issue for a while now. Seems like when I start the RV and it's connected to shore power the 10A fuse blows. Why is the 10amp fuse blowing or is this normal?
The fuse is the one labeled as Radio Power/AUX 10 AMP.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
stormguy
Although I very much doubt that blowing the Radio Power/AUX 10 AMP fuse when you start the engine while connected to shore power is "normal" on any coach.....the simple fix for that problem appears to be always unplug from shore power before starting your coach.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

Thanks for the valuable advise. And yes I'm guilty of all the above. I don't take it out anymore and now it just sits in covered storage plugged into shore power. Very low mileage on it. I will try not to crank it plugged into shore power anymore but sometimes I crank the engine to let it run and I forget it's plugged in (mind on other things). I will spend some time investigating the fuse issue. Fleetwood was kind enough to send me some schematics. I'm thinking the batteries over charged and dried up. I get little to no voltage on my voltmeter from them. I'm thinking of replacing them with Interstate 6 volt golf cart battery. I think it's a GC2-XHD-??? model for $154 ea. Only ones in my area I could find in stock. The old ones are Exide GC-135.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

Top up the batteries and put them on a slow charger and see if they come up. If not replace then and then see if the fuse still blows.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are not using the coach (and won't use if for awhile), don't bother with replacing the batteries.

Disconnect the ground connection for the house batteries.
For storage, all you need is a battery tender on your chassis battery.
Or pull the chassis battery and keep in in the garage on a battery tender.

Plug in the battery tender directly to shore power, and don't connect the RV to shore power.

Then, only get new batteries when you sell or start using it again.

Batteries in that condition can cause all sorts of problems, HOWEVER, if it did this from Day-one, you likely have another problem.

Dan
Old 04-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #12

Status Update - From working on it this weekend it seems like everything is working normal now. Go figure, seems like the battery disconnect solenoid was stuck or something. After several attempts to get it to cycle from on/off it decided to work. I can now hear the latching noise when I cycle the on/off button now. Topped off batteries and now they read correct. 6.x volts individually and 12.x volts together. 13.x when taking a charge either from shore power or generator. Seems like it needed some TLC. I'm very pleased with it (runs like new) I learned a lot about wiring and batteries plus some do's and don'ts. Thanks for the advise.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
stormguy,

Your batteries might be charging but may not hold a charge, especially if the fluid level exposed the plates inside. I would have them load tested before you take the coach out on a trip and rely on the batteries.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

New Twist found

Looks like the batteries may be holding a change so far, anyway I was testing the fuses yesterday and found out that when I take out the 10 AMP fuse, the one that blows (in the first pic the fuse labeled "RADIO POWER AUX 10 AMP") the steps will not work. Put it back in the steps work. However when I remove the fuse labeled "STEP MTR PWR 20 AMP" the steps still work. Do you think the steps were miss-wired to the 10 AMP fuse instead of the 20 AMP fuse? And should they be wired to the fuse that's labeled STEP MTR PWR 20 AMP?

I am thinking I will rewire them to the 20 AMP fuse but would like to get a second opinion first.

Thanks,
Stormguy

Tags
fuse