Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

'11 HR Endeavour 43DFT or '11 Tiffin Phaeton 42QBH

Trying to decide between these two coaches. My wife fell in love with the floorplan of the Endevour 43DFT. The full wall slide really opens up the space. We have never owned a coach, so this will be our first purchase. Some things that I really like about the HR, are the bigger engine (425ISL vs 380ISC), no DEF system on the HR, Roadmaster chasis (good sales pitch anyway), and it is cheaper than the Tiffin. Tiffin seems to have a better reputation and possible resale? Any thoughts on things to consider or that we may have overlooked would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcy2000 View Post
Trying to decide between these two coaches. My wife fell in love with the floorplan of the Endevour 43DFT. The full wall slide really opens up the space. We have never owned a coach, so this will be our first purchase. Some things that I really like about the HR, are the bigger engine (425ISL vs 380ISC), no DEF system on the HR, Roadmaster chasis (good sales pitch anyway), and it is cheaper than the Tiffin. Tiffin seems to have a better reputation and possible resale? Any thoughts on things to consider or that we may have overlooked would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Purcy2000: WELCOME to iRV2.com. Glad you joined and posted.

WOW! those are some excellent choices for a first coach.

The part of your post I'm questioning is regarding the motors. "IF" the HR has an ISL, that is also a Cummins engine, and therefore it WILL use DEF, unless it is a pre-2010 emmisions engine. I guess that is "possible", but if so, that may be unique to one particular coach, and not necessarily on "all" of the ones out there. Also, you don't say which chassis Tiffin used under the one you're considering, so you'll want to know if it is FCCC, Spartan, or Powerglide.

The way these things depreciate I would not worry too much about the relative resale values between these two brands (both are good)......

The best advice I can give you is "Buy the one your WIFE likes"
Ed

Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Ed,
HR had credits for installing the non-DEF engines that they had on hand. I don't know all of the details, but that's the case here. It could be a real plus for the HR. Also, I was mistaken, and the Tiffin 42QBH that I am considering is a 2012 with the 400 ISL Cummins on a Freightliner chassis. I'm thinking the HR is going to be a good 15-20k cheaper, and don't know if I can justify the Tiffin. I'm just not that familiar with the coaches and feel like that I should go with the manufacturer with the best reputation, just not sure if I want to pay extra for it.

Thanks,
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We were looking at HR also and were told that the new ones made by Navistar would use the MaxxForce engine which would meet environmental standards without the addition of the urea tank.
Motorhome Engines | MaxxForce
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #5

My two cents would be to go with what suits wife first then I think bigger motor a plus. I believe long slides might have had some problems eary on but that has probably been corrected. I assume both tags. With that said, seems the HR is better choice although per reputation and financial stability of company, I would certainly want a Tiffin. Floorplan and motor really weigh heavy in your situation and HR can't be to bad. I had a 2002 Endeavor and 2004 FW, no bad complaints.

Good luck.

Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Buy what the wife likes, she will be very happy and thus so will you by default.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #7

Don't forget to test drive. You and your wife should take thorough test drives of both... on highway and off. Try them and compare how they handle hills, curves, tight corners, etc... before you decide. Many buy based on looks ,features, etc. as the coaches sit on the lot but don't consider how important driving of the coach will be to them.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcy2000 View Post
Ed,
........ I'm thinking the HR is going to be a good 15-20k cheaper, and don't know if I can justify the Tiffin. I'm just not that familiar with the coaches and feel like that I should go with the manufacturer with the best reputation, just not sure if I want to pay extra for it.

Thanks,
Compared to the "family owned for 40 years" history enjoyed by Tiffin, the HR brand currently made by Monaco RV, LLC has "no" reputation, good or bad. But that does not mean the HR won't prove to be a good coach. Lately, even the often-praised Tiffin products have gotton some very bad reviews by a few disgruntled owners who claim major structural problems. The HR "name" has a LONG history, going back to at least the 1970s as a top-of-the-line travel trailer (the ONLY brand my parents would own) back then. However, a series of owners since the original HR company have rendered that reputation moot.

I think the bottom line is for you to look carefully at the coach construction details, test drive each, and then buy what suits you and the wife. 40% you, and 60% her ! Good luck with your decision!
Ed
Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
They are both good high quality coaches. I'm with the "get the one the D/W likes" you'll be happier in the long run.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

No more of this stuff about get what the "Dear wife" wants get what you want it just as much your motorhome as hers and you're most likely paying for most of it.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Get the one with the floor plan you like the best. I have a Monaco 42DSQ and my dad has a Tiffin 43' Bus. Both the Monaco and Tiffin are great units. I personally do not like the full wall slide, while it gives a slightly more space, the coach looks too open for my taste. I like the bedroom a little more closed off. In our case, the second bath was an item we could not live without.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDylan View Post
No more of this stuff about get what the "Dear wife" wants get what you want it just as much your motorhome as hers and you're most likely paying for most of it.
BobDylan: Welcome to iRV2.com. Glad you joined, however please know that we strive to be a friendly place and, IMO, your first post comes off just a little too "bossy". Several of us posted the advice WE think is sound. Mine is based on personal experience, and the misery from NOT following it .
Ed
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a new 09 Phaeton 42QRH & love it. That said, back in 09 the HR products were substantially higher cost than the Phaeton so you could not do an equal comparison. I can attest that Tiffin will stand behind their products, they are (IMHO) lagging behing in innovative floor plans & features (ie. full wall slide, reclining theater seating, ergonomically placed TV's)

Bottom line, go with the floorplan you like!

Tags
tiffin