Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

12 amp generator

I was just given a 1500 watt Colemen generator (kawasaki motor) from my father in law. It puts out 12 amps. He used to use it some years go when he was motor homing. Should this be ok for simply plugging into and charging batteries? I know I can not run AC or Microwave, but I want to make sure that with the generator only putting only 12 amps it would not damage my built in motor home charger. Hopfully, I am making some sence. The motor home has a 5500 Onan built in but I am hoping to save a bit of gas.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #2

May not charge batteries. Many systems require minimum 2000 watts. What is your inverter rating?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your microwave is a lower powered one, like 900 watts it might do fine with it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on the charger. If it draws more than the genny will put out, the breakers will blow.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

Will be plenty for a charger.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Steve
I was just given a 1500 watt Colemen generator (kawasaki motor) from my father in law. It puts out 12 amps. He used to use it some years go when he was motor homing. Should this be ok for simply plugging into and charging batteries? I know I can not run AC or Microwave, but I want to make sure that with the generator only putting only 12 amps it would not damage my built in motor home charger. Hopfully, I am making some sence. The motor home has a 5500 Onan built in but I am hoping to save a bit of gas.

Thanks.
I'd just use the built in genny. How much could you possibly save?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Steve View Post

Thanks.
Do you know what model converter/charger you have?
My Progressive Dynamics 60 amp needs 1000 watts to run it. You should be fine with a 1500 watt genny.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How big is your converter? I have run my Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard off a 1,000 watt Genrac and it did find.. I don't know where someone got the idea that you ned 2KW to run a battery charger... You should be able to run anything up to around 100 Amp with that 1500 just fine.

NOTE: On my coach, I can "unplug" the converter and plug JUST it in, And that's how I did it with my Genrac.

I would very much like to see that Genrac again, If you happen across one with my USER ID painted or scratched onto the frame/body.. let me knwo.. IN fact let Redford (Michigan) Police department know.. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #9

I need to do some quick research on my charger.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

As has been stated already, you can run a 100A charger with a 12 amp (1500 W) input, so you don't need to worry about that. It's not really much different than plugging your RV intoa 15A wall outlet at home. Just make sure you aren't alos powering other things, e.g. the fridge or water heater. They can consume a fair chunk of those 12A if their thermostats cycle them on.

If your converter is a standalone model it probably has a plug - you could plug it direct into the generator output and bypass the rest of the RV system.

But you are kidding yourself about saving gas. Your 5500 W genset won't use much fuel at all if you are only charging batteries. It uses something like 0.13 gal/hr. at idle and maybe 0.2 gal/hr producing 1000W worth of power. That's less than one quart of gas per hour and that little generator won't be noticeably less.

At 50% load (2750 watts), your Onan 5500 uses about 0.5 gal/hr. You can charge batteries and run an a/c and watch tv and still not use very much fuel.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
As has been stated already, you can run a 100A charger with a 12 amp (1500 W) input, so you don't need to worry about that. It's not really much different than plugging your RV intoa 15A wall outlet at home. Just make sure you aren't alos powering other things, e.g. the fridge or water heater. They can consume a fair chunk of those 12A if their thermostats cycle them on.

If your converter is a standalone model it probably has a plug - you could plug it direct into the generator output and bypass the rest of the RV system.

But you are kidding yourself about saving gas. Your 5500 W genset won't use much fuel at all if you are only charging batteries. It uses something like 0.13 gal/hr. at idle and maybe 0.2 gal/hr producing 1000W worth of power. That's less than one quart of gas per hour and that little generator won't be noticeably less.

At 50% load (2750 watts), your Onan 5500 uses about 0.5 gal/hr. You can charge batteries and run an a/c and watch tv and still not use very much fuel.
Thank you Gary, I'm sure your right, but why do I see motor homes with the portable generators? I spoke to one gentlemen at a campground and he swore he was saving gas. Thus, I got the idea, you did mention one thing that seems to make a differance, when my wife and I run our generator for charging purpose typically we are just siting down watching the small TV in the rear and nothing major is running. Based on what you said above my 5500 , I guess its plenty economical. Thanks again,besides the other thing about the generator my father-in-law gave me is that it sounds like a 747 running down the runway. A bit loud.

Tags
generator