Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
12 v vs 6v coach batteries?

My 2001 Monaco came with 4/ 12v batteries for the coach. They are 12v deep cycle batteries. I know that there are usually 4/ 6v golf cart batteries. On my previous coach 2000 Discovery there were 4/ 6's. Question is; will or is this going to be enough? Also does the Inverter/charger charge both the coach and the engine batteries when plugged into 50 amp service?

2001 Monaco Exc

rdstr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by rdstr29 View Post
Also does the Inverter/charger charge both the coach and the engine batteries when plugged into 50 amp service?
2001 Monaco Exc
Our '04 Monaco product didn't. Doubt an '01 does...I say "didn't" because it now has a BIRD installed.

Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
My 2001 Diplomat did not when I got it new but I fixed that also. Have not had that unit for several years now but it was a good coach.
Libero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
My rig came with four 8D 12v batteries.

Two were starting batteries and two were storage batteries.

The house batteries provided 440 Amp Hours of storage.

I have converted to 4 six volt Golf Cart batteries to replace the 8D Storage batteries. The four Golf Cart batteries provide about the same 440 Amp Hrs total, but each weighs about half of the 8D twelve volt battery. I like that feature.

So, if your two storage batteries provide about 440 AH then they are as good as the golf cart batteries for current storage.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Are you certain that what you have are really deep cycle batteries? There are some 12V batteries that are true deep cycle, but they tend to be very expensive, and not at all common. Most of the 12V marine / deep cycle battery that is commonly available is actually a hybrid, half way between a starting battery and a true deep cycle battery.

You will probably get the most bang for the buck by going with the 6V golf cart batteries. Trojan, US Battery, and Interstate are the common brands.

Retired electronics engineer. Avid paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, diesel, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253FBS (27' 5er) & '94 19' Class B
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
This topic has been beat around a number of times with a variety of opinions.

It comes down to space.

What will fit into the space that you have which offers the largest number of AH's to use?

Be careful on reading the specs of the battery as it is not CCA that you are interested in, it is Ampere Hours of the total battery.

Also remember that you can only use 50% of the total AH's before having to recharge them back to Float SOC.

This document should give you some great information on the type of batteries for your next install. And how to read and understand the differences.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
Dr4Film is correct. It is all about how many amp-hrs you can fit into the space available and at what cost. Typically the best bang for the buck are 6 volt deep cycle wet cell. They do make 12 true deep cycle but are usually much more expensive for the same number of amp-hours.
And to reiterate, most 12 volt batteries labeled "Marine Deep Cycle" are not true deep cycle.
Your inverter/charger does not charge the chassis batteries unless your coach has a BIRD, probably not. You may have a trickle charger that will charge the chassis batteries while on shore power, you'll have check to and see.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
my rig came with 3 x 8d batteries. i replaced 2 of house batteries with 3 12v trojan J185H-AC and retained the chassis battery as it is still good. the trojan batteries provide 225ah x 3 power, more than enough for my usage.

they lay out like this (sorry for the bad photo quality):

the heart interface inverter charges all chassis and house batteries at the same time. my solar is connected to house batteries only (i did the connections so no doubt about it), somehow the chassis battery is also getting charged. after months of leaving it in the yard, all batteries are still full.

2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote