Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
12 Volt Bay Heater

I have a 12V heater in the utility bay of my 2009 Safari Cheetah. According to the manual it is set to come on at 40 degrees and turn off at 55 degrees.

It is not working.

I verified 12 volts going to the heater. 3 wires going to the heater, assume they are common, neutral and ground. I measure 13.7 volts across 2.

Assumed it was the snap disc thermostat that was bad. I pulled the leads of the snap disc and connected them together to bypass the thermostat. My thinking was that the snap disc acts like a switch. At <40 degrees it closes, completing the circuit between the 2 attached wires.

If my thinking is correct it would seem to indicate a problem with the heater.

Any thoughts.

I would like to correct the issue before I head back north where I will need the heater,

Thanks
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I would think that you could ohm out all the internal parts and find which item is bad. I would look for an internal fuse are fuse link. also check all connections and the ground for loose or corrosion. Do you have a manual for this heater, if so this may help to find parts to fix and a guide to troubleshooting it.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sent you the phone #'s for two Mobile techs in this area just in case you don't get an answer here.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Got the numbers, thanks Wayne really appreciate it. Probably try to schedule them for Saturday. This week is full of meetings.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw John View Post
I would think that you could ohm out all the internal parts and find which item is bad. I would look for an internal fuse are fuse link. also check all connections and the ground for loose or corrosion. Do you have a manual for this heater, if so this may help to find parts to fix and a guide to troubleshooting it.
Thanks for the ideas. I think I have gone as far as i can go with the multimeter. To get the heater out I would need to pull the plumbing panel out and I can't get the time, busy week of meetings here. I will try that on the snap disc thermostat, it's on the side wall and easy to reach.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
It could be the thermal resistor internal to the heater. Mine has burned out twice. Radio Shack has them for $.60 each. Mine were just soldered in, easy to change.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
It could be the thermal resistor internal to the heater. Mine has burned out twice. Radio Shack has them for $.60 each. Mine were just soldered in, easy to change.
How long between burn outs? For $.60 I may push to find the time to get the heater out. Sure cheaper than calling the mobile tech.

Tags
heater