Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter

mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have no idea how it gets done,,,, I ask the DW for a coffee and a few minuts later it appears.

Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker101 View Post
That's pretty cool. But for $210 I'll make instant coffee for a while yet! Yikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Huh? It comes up at $31.98 and free shipping for me.
What I see $33.04 and free shipping, still no where near $210.00. Use to have one worked good, gave it to a friend who still uses it. Now I turn on inverter and percolator and walk the dog. When I get back the coffee is done. The 750 watts or 62.5 amps for about 8 minutes doesn't hardly phase my six 6V batteries.
Robot Check
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
memory card.......

In 1992 I bought a 8mb memory card for my mac 6116 so that it would stop locking up when I was trying to make a business pamphlet. It cost me $350. and was a little bigger than 2 business cards. I was told that I couldn't buy it and install it myself even through I have built several electronic devises myself from scratch.

Today I can buy a 128gb sdhd card for less than $10. and it is the size of my big toe nail. WE have voice activated internet access "amazon Echo", electric maps called GPS, Cell phones that replace notepads take pictures pay bills, make and take texts from anywhere in the world.......

But...... We don't have a 12volt coffee pot that works as well as it's 120volt counter part.

Don't engineers drink coffee? Are they so lucky as to have their wives make it for them each morning? Or are they so over paid that they buy it at Starbucks each day for $5 for a small cup?

What's the big deal about a 12volt coffee pot? It works off a 12volt battery, the most common battery in the world. Why carry a 10lb invertor around when a good design can prevent the extra labor, fuel and forgetfulness issue Oh, well honey I brought the coffee maker but forgot the inverter to run it. Yes, Prudhoe Bay is only 3000 miles away from home, I'll just drive home and get it. No body drives their moho to Prudhoe Bay, that I know of

Why carry a propane stove in your truck? When a simple device like a 12volt coffee maker can make your morning breaky. If you can boil water to make coffee, then you can make oatmeal, ramen noodle's, soft boiled eggs, disinfect wounds, clear windshields, warm hands when ice fishing and so much more!

For those of us who live off grid and need every amp to just make it through the day, I say this, Off Gridders Unite!!! 12 volt coffee makers should be our new meditation chant

And what about Preppers? Are they to do without?

I suspect that Starbucks is behind a huge conspiracy to prevent an efficient 12 volt Mr. Rvoffee maker from being marketed. Imagine at how much they would lose if you could just pull over in a rest stop and make a steaming fresh 5 cup pot of coffee that you could share with your fellow travelers.

Writing about coffee has made me want some.....

I go to worship my 120 volt Mr. Coffee.....
Old 05-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
tongue not in cheek.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Lol. Somehow I get the impression the OP was writing tongue in cheek ( at least I hope so) and no one caught that . ��. For the record though .. I myself will definitely buy in to the French press .. Or a mocha pot!!

Tongue not in cheek......

It is in luke warm coffee....

that is the problem!!

luke warm
Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Where Oh Where can we get hot water from......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What I find interesting is that all Mr Coffee did is make one of these automatic:

https://www.melitta.com/

With the camper we have the same coffee but use the kettle. I've made it in everything from their pot to a mug to a quart thermos. All one really needs is the cone and filters. ;-)

Ahh!!!! my point exactly~~~ But where do you get the hot water from????

I'm surprised that the "Beijing Automotive Group" or Honda, hasn't come up with a built in coffee maker in their off road vehicles! GM and Ford are to far behind to think of something like that! Can you imagine, how well a huge suburban type vehicle, would sell if it included a coffee maker in the dash instead of that "oh so useful idiot light" or rear TV with a VHS player?
Old 05-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
We'd have to have new legislation to prevent folks from making coffee, while talking on the cell phone, while they drive to work. The scalding accidents would increase dramaticly and only the Federal agents and employee's would be allowed to do this.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
In 1992 ...

Don't engineers drink coffee? Are they so lucky as to have their wives make it for them each morning? Or are they so over paid that they buy it at Starbucks each day for $5 for a small cup?

What's the big deal about a 12volt coffee pot? It works off a 12volt battery, the most common battery in the world. ...
I suspect that Starbucks is behind a huge conspiracy to prevent an efficient 12 volt Mr. Rvoffee maker from being marketed. Imagine at how much they would lose if you could just pull over in a rest stop and make a steaming fresh 5 cup pot of coffee that you could share with your fellow travelers.

Writing about coffee has made me want some.....

I go to worship my 120 volt Mr. Coffee.....
Me thinks someone needs their morning coffee before writing??

The problem with 12v is the amps needed. It's the wattage that makes the coffee (well, actually it's me as I don't have a DW ). There are books and many many posts on here of watts = amp * volts
An equivalent wattage draw over 12v requires 10 times the amps as 120v. That means the wires to your 12v coffee maker will need to be correspondingly large depending how far the coffee maker is from the batteries. My coffee maker needs 600 watts. That's about 5 amps @ 120v. That equivalent 12v draw would need 50 amps. Looks at the wire gauge table and you have the problem. 50 amps for 10 feet and you need 6 gauge wire.(Please this is just an example and should be used to make a point only. No need to correct all the possible mistakes )

Don't buy the inverter. I own Starbucks stock so please patronize them. I need my retirement fund to continue upward momentum (as right now it has seems to have stalled).

My inverter and my 120v coffee pot makes a great pot of coffee at any rest stop, campground, Walmart or Cracker Barrel. But I'm not sharing. Well, ok, if you ask nicely I might let the aroma wonder over your way. I have control over these things ya know

Happy trails...
Old 05-06-2016, 08:13 AM   #37

Well if I remember correctly for years we tent camped and automatic coffee wasn't in the picture. Start the fire, brew the coffee
Then we had a propane stove, start the stove , brew the coffee
Not much more off grid than that.
The reason this isn't an issue to be pursued to the engineering community is because the market numbers for it are so small. Remember that we are, as RVs, still a niche society
That why everything else related to RVs,:water heaters, refers, you name it, only have limited manufacturers.
Now if everyone lived in an RV then we would have more competition for the products and more innovation
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Me thinks someone needs their morning coffee before writing??

The problem with 12v is the amps needed. It's the wattage that makes the coffee (well, actually it's me as I don't have a DW ). There are books and many many posts on here of watts = amp * volts
An equivalent wattage draw over 12v requires 10 times the amps as 120v. That means the wires to your 12v coffee maker will need to be correspondingly large depending how far the coffee maker is from the batteries. My coffee maker needs 600 watts. That's about 5 amps @ 120v. That equivalent 12v draw would need 50 amps. Looks at the wire gauge table and you have the problem. 50 amps for 10 feet and you need 6 gauge wire.(Please this is just an example and should be used to make a point only. No need to correct all the possible mistakes )

Don't buy the inverter. I own Starbucks stock so please patronize them. I need my retirement fund to continue upward momentum (as right now it has seems to have stalled).

My inverter and my 120v coffee pot makes a great pot of coffee at any rest stop, campground, Walmart or Cracker Barrel. But I'm not sharing. Well, ok, if you ask nicely I might let the aroma wonder over your way. I have control over these things ya know

Happy trails...
What inverter brand do you own, I'll buy stock in it then!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Well if I remember correctly for years we tent camped and automatic coffee wasn't in the picture. Start the fire, brew the coffee
Then we had a propane stove, start the stove , brew the coffee
Not much more off grid than that.
The reason this isn't an issue to be pursued to the engineering community is because the market numbers for it are so small. Remember that we are, as RVs, still a niche society
That why everything else related to RVs,:water heaters, refers, you name it, only have limited manufacturers.
Now if everyone lived in an RV then we would have more competition for the products and more innovation
Your'e right there are only 30 million RV owners in the USA. Then there is the world wide market say for example South Africa. What about the Austrialian outback,

And don't tell me you wouldn't make use of a good quality 12v hair dryer if it existed.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #40

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's the amps needed. There isn't enough copper in the world to make all the wire needed.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #41

I use one of those Melitta cones on top of a glad screw top container with a paper filter. Heat the water on the propane stove in a pan, pour over grounds in melitta cone, great coffee. Serve to girlfriend in bed, all is good. I take care of her and she takes care of....you get the picture.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #42

Inverter cures most coffee ailments. How about an air conditioner that works well. There has been no appreciable advancement in AC units in years. For the home there are a myriad of choices, why can't RV manufacturers use some of that technology and stuff it up under the coach. The basement mount units I've had work a little better than the roof mounts but still not good. How about AC on 12v?

Tags
12 volt