Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
12 volt Coffee Pot and others.....

Ok, so first let's establish the fact that as cl A owners most of us have spent a bucket of money purchasing our rigs.

12 volt systems have been around long enough to encourage you engineers out there to produce 12 volt products that we can actually use.......

What am talking about? Well, to start with, 12 volt Mr. RVoffee The ones that I've tried are just miserable pieces of junk that make terrible coffee.... Seems like such a waste of money to fire up a $5k piece of machinery to make a $2 cup of joe in the morning, besides it wakes up the neighbors, the dog and everyone else in the campground when I get up at 4 AM. You'd think, if I can buy a tiny $15 Mr. Joffee for my shop, I could get a 12v unit for the same price that actually makes decent coffee.......

The 2nd and 3rd thing that I constantly hear about from the wife is a 12v hair dryer and curling iron. What's with this, is there a male engineer conspiracy to discourage women from traveling in RV's? Did I mention I hear about a 12v hair dryer that really works every trip?????

What about a 12v blender or mixer? Don't the folks that design these things need a job and a billion Chinese factories need something to build??? If I pay $100k for a coach I'd like to make a margarita with out having to wake the dead when I'm parked next to a cemetery.

Lastly, if those aussies can come up with a 12v AC unit for their caravans then how come we can't come up with one for our coaches that will work off our batts and solar panels. All it has to do is cool the bedroom at night and leave enough amps to run the Mr. RVoffee in the morning.....

Any one have any other requests??? or comments???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't you have a propane stove? Heat water, make coffee.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Shhhh......inverter.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Many of the 120v versions of the appliances you mention aren't all that great either. We may have to wait for Tesla batteries and big inverters!
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Don't you have a propane stove? Heat water, make coffee.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

The basic problem with 12 V devices is that the cigar lighter type socket is designed for 20 Amps max. Many are not that high. That limits them to ~20 x 12 = 240 watts. Read the ratings on hair dryers and coffee makers and you will find 1000 watts @ 120 VAC is a common range. That is why many of us advocate firing up the generator in the morning for the microway, coffee pot and hair dryer. A half hour to hour run covers a lot of high power uses.

The other easy option is something like a tea kettle and Melita pot.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #7

OK I'm going out on a limb here but I assume that you have an invertor. Even our old MSW type ran the cheap Mr. Coffee with out an issue.
If I need the hairdryer I wait until the generator needs run for another purpose. Of course at my age short hair that can asir dry is a plus and I'm more concerned that people are interested in me than my hair. There are butane powered curling irons
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

Also consider a French press for that dry camping coffee
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

A French Press will make a far better cup of coffee than any Mr. Coffee ever made. Heat the water on the stove.
They make propane heated curling irons for travelers, no electricity needed.
You can buy frozen Marguritas that are in a soft pack. Take it out of the freezer and squish it into a glass. Then again, a good Sharaz doesn't need refrigeration at all.
Life is about options, you just need to pick one that works for you.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe I'm a dinosaur but i like percolator coffee from my stove top pot
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're not a dinosaur, you simply know what you like!

I use an Aeropress to make coffee. One large cup at a time, no moving parts and made pf plastic, very easy to use, makes a *great* cup of coffee, and I heat water on the stove in a tea kettle. No electricity required, and great when boondocking.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:54 AM   #12

Heating elements require more power. I have seen 12v coffee makers at rv stores. A small toastmaster machine from kohls uses just 900 watts. I use a glass drip basket from bed bath beyond. Works great and disposable filters make cleanup easy. I heat water on the stove as everyone said or in the microwave when we have shore power.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #13

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
DC power requires almost 10X the amps to achieve the same watts. The wire sizes make it impractical. Look at the wires required to power your inverter.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt