Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcalliste View Post
help...I'm trying to post photo of my battery box where I think my 12 volt problem is located. it keeps asking for the URL of the photo. Don't have a URL it's just a photo in my pictures;; how do I post a photo in this darn thing ???
Just click the paperclip (for attachment) in the top line of the reply form and follow the instructions to load your computer's file.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #16

If power lasts approx. 4 minutes after shutting off motor it makes me think batteries may be toast, I would also tap on all solenoids as pictured, may luck out and get power indicating which solenoid is hanging up. Good luck.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #17

12 volt house not working

House batteries are good and I've checked their voltage several times. Large fuse near House turn off switch is good. Turn off for house current works. Ground is good. Hot 12 volt wire goes over to Battery Box ?? Shown in picture attachment ?? Silver canister looks like a solenoid but wires are not attached directly to it like most solenoids I've seen. Would like to take it out to look at contacts but it doesn't want to budge. Not sure this canister (has "tested" stamped on it) has anything to do with my 12 volt problem.Click image for larger version

Name:	battery box.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	239120. All the breakers in the box appear to be set. I see no other fuses or solenoids. Where to next ???
joemcalliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #18

That looks like the isolation solenoid. It is controlled by the BIRD device under it, in you picture. It connects the house battery to the chassis battery, depending on charging conditions.

It may have metal links, from the large side posts, to the studs full of wires on each side or the studs go thru the housing and have battery cables outside of it.

Shouldn't be part of your problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #19

Got the photo posted, I think, but now I can't find message that went with it..
Old 03-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
First thing you do. Always.
Yeah, for sure and it all sounds like, the batteries won't hold a charge for very long, so yes, a voltmeter on the terminals, both with engine running and not, for seeing what the batteries are doing, firstly.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #21

When testing 12v it's best to have an old school test light / screwdriver looking tool with incandescent bulb as back up when things don't make sense . Like i should have power but i don't . Tool will help show you bad grounds alot better as well. A digital multi meter without a low impedance setting will pick up voltage that wouldn't light a Christmas tree bulb.
A wiggy is good to have for 120-480v ac. Or low impedance multi-meter.

Good luck keep looking.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #22

Thanks for the info on the isolation solenoid...I was in process of trying to get that solenoid out...then I'd have more problems !!! So if that is not my Battery Box then where is it ??? I have a large inverter under the bed but no Battery box I can see. There are fuses and breakers on side of bed and I've checked all of them. My house are less than a year old and I have checked them numerous times and they are fine, There is a large breaker next to the House turn off knob and fuse and turn off are both working. I have yet to find any other solenoids/breakers or fuses that resemble the diagrams sent to me. There are some fuses and small black box fuses under the entrance step, but nothing that looks big enough to tie in to the load of the house batteries. Mean while my wife is kind of getting into the eating by candle light but doesn't care too much about trying to cook by candle light. If we want to shower or have lights we just crank up the ol coach and every thing works fine !!!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcalliste View Post
House batteries are good and I've checked their voltage several times. Large fuse near House turn off switch is good. Turn off for house current works. Ground is good. Hot 12 volt wire goes over to Battery Box ?? Shown in picture attachment ?? Silver canister looks like a solenoid but wires are not attached directly to it like most solenoids I've seen. Would like to take it out to look at contacts but it doesn't want to budge. Not sure this canister (has "tested" stamped on it) has anything to do with my 12 volt problem.Attachment 239120. All the breakers in the box appear to be set. I see no other fuses or solenoids. Where to next ???
Here is a big WAG based on the idea that the two rectangular bolted items in the center of your picture are high amp fuses.......

A red wire appears to enter the blocks from the left.

Have you taken a voltage reading by putting a meter lead on each end of the rectangle to see if 12v is passing through?

(Note: the two items look like they could be fuses but I have seen nothing like them before.)

Also, if one of the WAG "fuses" is bad, that would conflict with having 12v power after shutting down the engine.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #24

Did you actually take off and check all the battery terminals both at the battery and where they attach to the coach? Has to be something simple that is being overlooked. That solenoid has to do something as well. I know you have checked the batteries but individually as well? good luck, candle light dining is nice but like you said cooking by it not so much. don't run out of wine until the lighting is fixed!
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt