RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

12 volt house out

traveling in 2001 American Eagle 40 footer. One day all 12 volt to coach went out. no lights, no water pump...nothing. Living out of coach with v ery unhappy wife. I can get al 12 volt working again by starting coach. New house batteries worked fine for awhile so connection is right. Checked cut off switch in battery compartment and wall fuse next to switch....all seem to be good. Ive been told there is another switch/fuse/ solenoid in system.....but where. American Eagle help line won't help (coach is too old)
Anyone know where i should start looking for this broken switch/fuse/solenoid ??? Another strange thing...everything works when I run engine and works for about 4 minutes AFTER I turn engine OFF ????

joemcalliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You should have what they call a "salesman switch" near the entry of the coach that turns off all 12 volt power. It sounds like you know about that switch and have checked it. It typically runs to a solenoid that looks similar to the one below. When you turn that switch ON/OFF, it powers the solenoid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41TUSFXv7RL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	237920

Typically, you should have what they call a "run bay" where a lot of the coach electrical is housed. Those run bays, on most coaches, are the bay under the driver's window. If you see the solenoid there, you can test it's operation by using a jumper between the two large bolts on both sides. (An actual set of jumper cables from a car, using just one cable, can be used to do the test).

If the 12 volt power comes back on, you have three choices, replace the solenoid, find out why it's not being triggered by the entry switch, or do what most people do. Disconnect the two large wires from under the bolts and bolt the wires together and cover with electrical tape, eliminating the solenoid.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #3

Thanks Don,
I went to the bay under drivers window and it is filled with hydraulic gear for extending front end generator, but nothing that looks like 12 volt solenoid or fuse. Have a whole bunch of fuses under front step but none of those look like they could turn noff the whole house electric. Got any other suggestions. I sure wish Fleetwood would work with me on this but they don't keep info on older coaches.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
12 volt house out

It may be in your BCC ( battery control center ) if you have one. It’s a black box approx. 15” square .My Fleetwood Bounder did. Here’s a photo of it. There’s also two 12 volt breakers ( the two black buttons at bottom left of photo ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8101.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	237924

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

Your house battery power is not getting to the house loads.

Start checking at the battery and follow the power. First stop would be a fuse or breaker. They tend to hide them a foot or so past the battery.

On the negetive side, the cable should go to a spot on the chassis, check that.

The reason you have power while the engine is running is because the isolation relay is closing, connecting the chassis battery to the house battery system. That's normal.
It remains connected a few minutes until the chassis battery drops back to 12.6 volts.

Because that is working, I would say your disconnect solenoid is working too.

That leaves the cables from the disconnect back to the battery.

Just looking at the connections isn't going to help, loosen and frighten the connections.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Here is a typical arrangement of a BCC, your may be different but the battery flow will be similar.

I marked in yellow what's going on with yours, when the engine is running.

The one marked with red is the path that's not working. You can see that both are working thru the house battery disconnect.

Some people erroneously call the battery disconnect a " Salesman Switch " . If you look for that, you will never find it. Using slang names doesn't help the unknowing.

Hope it helps.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-13-16-51-40.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	237929Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-03-13-16-52-33.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	237930
Old 03-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcalliste View Post
traveling in 2001 American Eagle 40 footer. One day all 12 volt to coach went out. no lights, no water pump...nothing. Living out of coach with v ery unhappy wife. I can get al 12 volt working again by starting coach. New house batteries worked fine for awhile so connection is right. Checked cut off switch in battery compartment and wall fuse next to switch....all seem to be good. Ive been told there is another switch/fuse/ solenoid in system.....but where. American Eagle help line won't help (coach is too old)
Anyone know where i should start looking for this broken switch/fuse/solenoid ??? Another strange thing...everything works when I run engine and works for about 4 minutes AFTER I turn engine OFF ????
Shame on American Eagle. Surely someone remembers back that far!
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

His Eagle definitely has a BCC and the solenoid is located there or adjacent to it, depending on the specific year.

twinboat gave solid advice - follow it. However, there are also large cartidge fuses in the battery power circuits, probably 300 amp. A blown battery power fuse will kill all power.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
"However, there are also large cartidge fuses in the battery power circuits, probably 300 amp. A blown battery power fuse will kill all power"

X2. This has happened to us.

The key 300A fuse for us was in the battery compartment inline with the invertor.

https://shop.pkys.com/Blue-Sea-5119-...xoCMeEQAvD_BwE
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #10

The 300 amp fuse will be for the inverter. They are typically wired around the battery disconnect.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
You should have what they call a "salesman switch" near the entry of the coach that turns off all 12 volt power. It sounds like you know about that switch and have checked it. It typically runs to a solenoid that looks similar to the one below. When you turn that switch ON/OFF, it powers the solenoid.

Attachment 237920

Typically, you should have what they call a "run bay" where a lot of the coach electrical is housed. Those run bays, on most coaches, are the bay under the driver's window. If you see the solenoid there, you can test it's operation by using a jumper between the two large bolts on both sides. (An actual set of jumper cables from a car, using just one cable, can be used to do the test).

If the 12 volt power comes back on, you have three choices, replace the solenoid, find out why it's not being triggered by the entry switch, or do what most people do. Disconnect the two large wires from under the bolts and bolt the wires together and cover with electrical tape, eliminating the solenoid.

His run bay or where the BCC and batteries are located in our coach is the second to last storage compartment on the passenger side rear. I just went through this in my coach and all is back working. In my case one of the two big ALN 200amp fuses had blown and that was the root cause of my lack of 12v power. Might be worth a look.

Hope this helps!

Mike

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #12

Sounds like the house batteries are bad. Works for a couple of minutes after engine was running then loses power when the batteries die again Need to check the voltage from the house batteries?
DicknBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicknBambi View Post
Need to check the voltage from the house batteries?
First thing you do. Always.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #14

help...I'm trying to post photo of my battery box where I think my 12 volt problem is located. it keeps asking for the URL of the photo. Don't have a URL it's just a photo in my pictures;; how do I post a photo in this darn thing ???

Tags
12 volt