Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

12 volt problem

Having an issue with my 1989 Allegro. No 12volt power. The switch by the door that contols the power...when I try to turn the 12volt power on I hear a click toward the back of the RV..under the bed....and the switch won't stay in the on posistion goes back to the middle. Maybe the converter?
pwysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #2

The switch is probably a rocker switch that's made to NOT stay in any position except the center. Find the relay that's clicking and use a voltmeter to see if you have power on both sides of the heavy wire when it's ON. Without seeing it, the relay is probably one that will latch in either the on or off position and be held there without consuming any power so it won't drain your batteries. Replacing that type relay is easy, and they cost between $54-$75.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Rather than the converter, like Pigman1 said, it's probably the relay. The switch is supposed to trigger the relay on (connected) and off. (disconnected) The relay will have 2 small wires to trigger it, two larger wires that connect batteries/converter to the house wiring system. If the relay is not working, putting both large wires on one post will shunt power around relay to test. Then you can replace the relay once you prove it's bad.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Yes that may be it...from your description...that's the one that seems to be clicking when we hit the 12 volt switch...We'll give that a try...thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #5

Is there a good site to buy these parts?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwysocki View Post
Is there a good site to buy these parts?
I use Amazon.com
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am assuming the lights do not stay on.

On my coach the switch is what is known as an (on) off (on) DPDT which means it returns to the center position.

The "Click" is more of a "Clunk" and comes from the front, under the hood, instead of the rear.

The system is an Intelletec Battery Control System on my coach, and the solenoid is a magnetic latching type.. This means that once it turns on it stays there till you send current through the coil the other way to move it to the other position.

In your case. If the lights come on when you HOLD the switch, but then go off.. Either battery voltage is too low and it's not pushing it all the way to latch (Not likely) or the solenoid is faulty.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Do a Google search for "Intellitec Latching Relay". There are a few different models of this relay and a number of places sell them. Match up what you have and make a few calls. I use these for disconnecting solar systems, dedicated inverters, and joining/separating DC power circuits. These switches only draw power when changing from on to off or back and do not draw power at other times. An ideal battery shut off switch.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

Once again great information Thanks to ALL!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
battery voltage is too low and it's not pushing it all the way to latch (
Is what happened to mine. Put a trickle charger on and switch went on. Before I put the charger on it looked like the switch was turning on but it wasn't
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
On my coach the switch is what is known as an (on) off (on) DPDT which means it returns to the center position.
wa8yxm

A standard DPDT, (Double Pole Double Throw),switch does NOT automatically return to the center, (OFF), position....
It must be switched to one of three positions (on/off/on).

HOWEVER:
A "MOMENTARY SPDT", (Single Pole Single Throw), on/off/on switch does return to the center, (off) position.
AND,
A "MOMENTARY DPDT", (Double Pole Single Throw), switch does return to the center (OFF) position.

IMO both your coach, and the OP, have a "MOMENTARY" SPDT switch to activate that "latching relay".... (possibly, but unlikely, a "MOMENTARY" DPDT switch).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #12

Mel
I just replaced mine (sticking) because it stuck and took out the relay. It is a DPDT, center off, momentary switch. It has to reverse the power to the two relay terminals to go from on to off. It is a pretty cheap switch.

Tags
12 volt