Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #1

12 volt system, need help

My first rv and getting very frustrated, haven't even used it yet(remodeling inside) 1999 winnebago adventurer. I took out all the batteries when i stored it, everything worked great. Then in spring i hooked up the main battery and the engine turned right over. I have had it plugged in a few times and everything works great...until today. My 2 house batteries are fully charged, even had them tested to be sure that wasnt the problem, but tried to start the generator and nothing at all happened. Then I tried some of the 12v lights, nothing. Checked the circuit panel, all the flip fuses looked fine. I am sooo frustrated because this is so foreign to me being a first time owner. I marked all the wires to the batteries before I took them off. I am pretty sure I have it hooked up correctly but cant find anything(I have read every manual) and thought I could find an explination or picture of proper hookup. Assuming I do have it hooked up correctly, what else should I check.....frustrating..could really use some veteran help!! thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincybear View Post
My first rv and getting very frustrated, haven't even used it yet(remodeling inside) 1999 winnebago adventurer. I took out all the batteries when i stored it, everything worked great. Then in spring i hooked up the main battery and the engine turned right over. I have had it plugged in a few times and everything works great...until today. My 2 house batteries are fully charged, even had them tested to be sure that wasnt the problem, but tried to start the generator and nothing at all happened. Then I tried some of the 12v lights, nothing. Checked the circuit panel, all the flip fuses looked fine. I am sooo frustrated because this is so foreign to me being a first time owner. I marked all the wires to the batteries before I took them off. I am pretty sure I have it hooked up correctly but cant find anything(I have read every manual) and thought I could find an explination or picture of proper hookup. Assuming I do have it hooked up correctly, what else should I check.....frustrating..could really use some veteran help!! thank you
I hate to ask this but did you check the battery main switch on the dash to make sure it is turned on? If so try cycling it a few times. Mine did that once and I cycled it a few times and the power came on.

rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you turn on the 12 volt house switch located by the entry door? Sometimes called a salesman switch this switch controls your house batteries.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #4

what does the 12v house switch look like...there are so many switches and panels/circuits on this thing I get so confused thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

RYLONS, great but simple suggestion, will check that first, thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's usually a rocker type switch. There maybe more than one right at the entrance door, Ours has three--Chasis, house and electric step.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #7

1. go to your chassis batteries and follow the ground wire to where it connects. mine is bolted to the frame. mine came loose and I lost the 12v.
2. start your coach and on your dash see if you have a button labeled aux start. If you do press it and see if your lights work. pressing the button ties both set of batteries together.
3. do you have a battery control center . there are red circuit breakers inside that can be reset. my gen get it power from my battery control center.
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #8

After all the above suggestions and still no power, recheck the battery hook up and if you have a small voltmeter, then check that your ground (negative) is really grounded to the frame. If you don't have a voltmeter, that might be a good investment, as it will be very useful for future trouble shooting.

vraines is offline   Reply With Quote