Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #1

So...it's that time when we have to replace the tires on our RV for the first time. We have a 35' Safari Sahara, and the tire size is 9R22.5. I've called around, and gotten a variety of prices on different models, but was told today that I could choose between a 12 and a 14 ply tire. The price difference isn't much, but I'm thinking a 12-ply tire on our beast might just be asking for problems. However, I don't know what the he** I'm talking about, so I've come here to bask in the wisdom of you fine people.

So, what's the deal? Can I go with 12 OR 14 ply, or is the tire guy an idiot?

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #2

So...it's that time when we have to replace the tires on our RV for the first time. We have a 35' Safari Sahara, and the tire size is 9R22.5. I've called around, and gotten a variety of prices on different models, but was told today that I could choose between a 12 and a 14 ply tire. The price difference isn't much, but I'm thinking a 12-ply tire on our beast might just be asking for problems. However, I don't know what the he** I'm talking about, so I've come here to bask in the wisdom of you fine people.

So, what's the deal? Can I go with 12 OR 14 ply, or is the tire guy an idiot?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What ply rating were the original tires?? I certainly would not go with less than original. I bought a couple of tires a few months ago. My original tires are 16 ply. I could have easily bought 14 plys for less money, but figured that would not be smart. I spent the time and $$ necessary to get 16 ply tires.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:07 PM   #4

I am dusting off an old memory here, so there is a risk of not being exactly on target - - my comment would be:

Ply Rating is what we used 'back then' to get a good idea of the load limits of a tire . . .

. . . before there were Load Rating letters embossed on the tires. Isn't this A/B/C/.../G/H rating the new standard for comparison?

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't this A/B/C/.../G/H rating the new standard for comparison? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, it is. I find tire dealers still tend talk in terms of plys... My 16 ply tires have an H load rating.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
According to Bridgestones pressure and load tables , a 12ply (load range F) carries 2060 pounds at 105 psi. That means your front axle can weigh no more that 4120. A 14 ply (load range G) carries 2240 at 120 psi. Your front axle will carry 4520.

This is the inflation table website.
http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...load/index.asp

Select "Tubeless Truck 15 degree Drop Center"

As Paul says, use at least the same load range as OEM.

You also need to know the weight of your coach and individual axles, better yet each corner.

This website has a wealth of information.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...g/rv/index.asp
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glfprncs:

So, what's the deal? Can I go with 12 OR 14 ply, or is the tire guy an idiot? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Regardless of the ply rating the load rating has to be equal to or greater than the maximum weight rating of the where the tire is being used. It is unlawfull for a tire dealer to install a tire that is under rated for the vehicle while it is up to you to make sure. Look up the ratings for your coach and make sure that what you get has a load capacity equal to or greater than the specs.

Also watch out for speed ratings. There are still some low speed tires out there that are maxed out at 65 MPH. That means that they may be more prone to heat build up so I would make sure that I got only tires rated for use at the highest speed rating available which I believe is 75 MPH.

Are the tires really 12 years old or are you the second owner? At this age it is about time for the third set to go on.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #8

We're 2nd owner, so I don't know how old the tires are. They're pretty worm, though the sidewalls look good. The previous owners were full-timers, from what I'm told, so I'm sure they've got some miles on them. I'll trek out to the in-laws house this evening, where the RV is currently stored, and see if I can find the load rating, and I'll check the axle weights as well. Thank you all for your help.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #9

I just replaced all 7 (f) or 12 ply tires on my coach and bumped them to (G) or 14 ply but do I still inflate to the MFG 80 psi ? This is what the mfg (holiday rambler door plate told me ?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">see if I can find the load rating </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While you're at it, check the mfg dates on the tires. Every tire sold in the U.S. is required to have a DOT identifying number. It is a 10- or 11-digit number. The last 3 or 4 digits tell you the mfg date of the tire. Older tires have 3-digit numbers, with the first two digits are the week of the year and the third digit the year when the tire was made. Tires made in the 1990s may also have a triangle beside the numbers, signifying that they were made between 1990 and 1999. Newer tires have 4-digit numbers. The first two digits are the week of the year and the last two digits are the year. 2501 would be a mfg date of 25th week of 2001.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #11

So...I stopped by the RV today, and from the above information (the Bridgestone link), it appears that I have load range H (or 16-ply) tires. On the sidewall of the current Michelin tires, it states, "Maximum Load single 4540@ 95 psi" and Maximum load dual 4300@95 psi" (cold). So, according to the info. on the bridgestone link, the weight limits are load H's, though I'm curious about the pressure differences, as mine say 95 psi, and the bridgestone link has it up around 105.

Guess I'm back on the phone to price a different tire.

Thank you all for your information. It has been GREATLY appreciated.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just replaced all 7 (f) or 12 ply tires on my coach and bumped them to (G) or 14 ply but do I still inflate to the MFG 80 psi ? This is what the mfg (holiday rambler door plate told me ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hammerman,
Need to know more about your coach and type of tire to answer your question.
In your coach there should be a sticker telling you the front and rear gross axle weights. Need to know those #'s and also what tire you installed on the coach. Brand and size.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the real deal. If your tire size remained the same, it doesn't matter if it is a 12 ply, 14 ply, or 100 ply. At 80 psi, both 12 or 14 ply tires will carry the same load. The 14 ply allows a higher psi, hence a higher load capacity at max psi. Well a 100 ply wouldn't need air .

Most all tires of the same size, same ply (load range) have the same capacity. For instance, a LT23585R16 10 ply(E) carries 3042 lbs at 80 psi. It doesn't matter if it is a Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, or Goodyear ect. There may be instances of variations, so it is wise to check the manufacturers charts.

The big misconception is that because you go from a 12(F) to 14(G), or a 14(G) to 16(H), that you can reduce the psi. You cannot!!!

If the mfg's plate says 80 psi that is what I would run, until you have weighed the MH.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 AM   #14

Thanks Tom the tires are 245 /70/R19.5 load range G.And yes the holiday rambler tag states 7000lbs ft 13500 RR gvwr 20500 the tires are Hercules (a cooper tire ) model S209 max singel 4541 at 110psi .max dual 4299lbs at 110psi .I was thinking about running them at 85psi