Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #1

12V Batteries Only Putting 6V Inside

I WAS HAVING ISSUES OF THINGS NOT WORKING CORRECTLY IN THE MOTERHOME. MY HOUSE BATTERIES WERE BAD AND I HAD THEM REPLACED ALONG WITH THE INVERTOR. NOW IT SHOWLES 30 AMPS COMING INTO THE COACH BUT ALL MY LIGHTS GET DIM AND NOTHING WORKS WHAT IS THE PROBLEM. THERE IS A FUSE BETWEEN MY BATTERY AND THE INVERTOR A 135 AMP i REPLACED IT AND IT STILL DONT WORK. I HAVE 6V ON ONE SIDE OF THE FUSE AND 12V ON THE OTHER.ANYONE KNOW WHAT i CAN DO TO MAKE THIS WORK?
TRD1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something is likely not wired correctly. Double check the wiring.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
if the fuse is between your inverter and the batts hard to understand the voltage diff from one side of the fuse to the other. the fuse is just a piece of metal that will melt if over amps are fed thru it. should show same volts both sides.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the fuse was blown, you could have 6 v on one side and 12v on the other. take one side loose and read for continuity across the fuse.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure the fuse is not blown? If voltage is measured to ground and it differs from one side of the fuse to the other, the fuse is open. And something is mis-wired causing the voltage to appear on the load side of the open fuse, and likely blowing the fuse.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #6

Just a guess...

Fuse is open.

Replaced batteries...2 6 volt wired parallel?

Get voltmeter and do some troubleshooting and verify all wiring before replacing fuse.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said the batteries were bad and you had them replaced?

Question and short story:
Question: DID YOU do the replacement or did a "Professional"?
(IF professional does he know the difference between his ___- and a hole in the ground? but I'm not asking that).

The short story:

Forum member went to a well known and respected RV dealer and had 'em put in all new Batteries,, Good quality GC-2 Six volt Golf car batteries.. Now I will tell you I have actually visited this dealer and they are usually rather good.

Idiot technician put 'em in wrong so they were wired for six volt, not 12

I can understand an owner doing it, I mean I grew up with six volt batteries, and had to learn 12 (They changed before I learned (officially) to drive but growing up on the farm we had older vehicles that still had six volt systems). And I'm trained in Electronics so I know about that king of thing form there too.

But when you have a dealer do it, You EXPECT him to know what he is doing you EXPECT him to know his job and you are PAYING him for that knowledge. But it still got done wrong, by a dealer.

I will not name the dealer,,, I strongly suspect the technician no longer works there.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
6V on the battery side of the fuse sounds like the batteries are wired incorrectly and are not in series (to take 2 6V batteries and make them behave like one 12V battery) or in series-parallel (wire a second pair of 6V batteries in series to act like one 12V... and then wire the two pairs in parallel to double the amp-hour capacity).

12V on the other side of the fuse sounds like you're plugged into shore power and the converter/charger (or inverter/converter/charger) is charging the batteries... so 12V going into the fuse.

DEFINITELY check all the wiring to be sure things were done correctly. It sounds like there was a mistake when the new batteries were installed!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Community Moderator

This should help you check the wiring to the batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1414440759.128051.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	510.9 KB
ID:	77617
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me put it this way

"I have six volts on one side of the fuse and 12 on the other"

Fuse is blown, Replace.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

Fuse blown

Wired WRONG

Correct wiring to confirm 12 volts from battery on battery side of blown fuse and 12 volts on charge supply side of blown fuse

Replace fuse ...test first with largest "cheap fuse" you have as the standard fuse may be expensive.

A number 14 wire is rated 15 amps but fuses higher.

Can be used to test here by flashing or sparking the fuse.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I had exactly the same problem on a 2005 new to us MADP. My big symptom was slides wouldn't work. Kind of annoying on our new home. Four 6 volts batteries were wired for 12 volts but idiot shop tech put the coach panel connection off the middle of two of the 6 volt batteries. Hence six volts to the coach. Amazing how much better things worked when we moved the panel connection to the "end" of the battery pair.
Grwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries