Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #1

12V House Batt.

Does anybody run 4 12volt deep cells for house batteries????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sure there are some but 4 6 volts are a better solution. Longer life (if you use true deep cycle batteries) and cheaper over the long run.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Use to run 3=12v but after the 3rd set failed in 4 yrs changed to 4-6v and after 7yrs changed them out for 4-6v again just to keep them fresh.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

on my coach, i was a little surprised to find out that it came with 3 identical 8D batteries - 1 for chassis and 2 for house. i knew 8d deep cycle for house, but shouldn't the one for chassis be regular auto battery with large CCA?
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm sure there are some but 4 6 volts are a better solution. Longer life (if you use true deep cycle batteries) and cheaper over the long run.
Guess I should add: Our Interstate U-2200's lasted a month or so less than 10 years so I must be doing something right and my charger works without overcharging them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm using 4x Group 31 Trojan AGM 12v for my house battery bank. The original equipment was 4 Group 27 but that wasn't enough capacity (400 AH vs the 460 AH I have now).

12v vs 6v is not important - it is the capacity in amp-hours that you need to be aware of.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

I'm running 4 12 volt Group 27 starting/deep cycle batteries from Costco in my 31' 2002 Fleetwood Fiesta since 10-23-2007. Haven't had any problems (knocking on wood).
Old 10-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

I am running four 12v AGM Lifeline batteries and am very happy with the results. We boondock as much as we can because we like the quiet. Our coach came from the factory setup this way.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I run 8 Interstate U-2200's house batteries, the second set have been good so far...I did have to replace the factory batteries after the first 13 months and it turned out that my charger/inverter was set to low from the factory.

I couldn't figure out why the batteries were not holding a charge, so I called Monaco and asked them about the settings. They told me that the settings were right (from the factory), I then called the inverter company and their tech asked a couple of questions and then advise me to change the settings in the setup. I now have less gassing and the batteries seem to be holding up like I thought they should.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4 cells is 8 volts, you need 6, 12, 18 etc (6N)

That is correcting you use of the word cells.

Now if you meant "Does anyone run 4 12 volt batteries in parallel for the house system?"

I assume some do, in fact quite a few.

I will not say that six volt batteries in series are necessarly better than 12 in parallel. Mostly because if all other factors are made equal, they are not,, However there are those other factors which I will speak about

Six cells in series make one 12 volt battery, Now if you have two six volt (Each one is 3 cells) in series that is six cells and thus 12 volts.. Think of the pair as a single 12 volt battery,, Roughly a D-8 size (Very big and very heavy) Roughly 230 amp hours and most six volt batteries are DEEP CYCLE, this is important.

12 volt can be Deep Cycle, or several feet down the line Marine/Deep cycle, or right next to that Marine, or Starting. Note the several feet down the line part.

If you get 12 volt DEEP cycle, then they are as good as the six volt amp hour per amp hour, Now to hit 230 amp hours you need a Group 27 and a Group 31 in parallel. (A pair of G-29's will give you around 210)

Of course... You will pay more..

The one thing that makes six volt better AND THIS IS CHANGING, is the vast number of them that are made for Golf Cars around the country/world.. This makes the cost per unit less, and thus they give the best "Bang for the buck".
Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #11

I canít dispute the logical discussion presented above by wa8yxm, but I use 12 volt batteries for house batteries in my trailer. Hereís why.

When a bank of batteries fails, usually all the batteries donít fail at the same time. The bank fails because ONE of the batteries failed. At that time you need to replace the ENTIRE BANK of batteries because you should never replace just one. (The reason for this can be the subject of an entirely new thread, if someone chooses to start one.)

If my battery bank consists of four 6-volt batteries, I now have one failed battery and three used, but still usable batteries. What am I going to do with three, used 6-volt batteries? Since I don't own a golf cart, I'm going to throw them away.

If my battery bank consists of two 12-volt batteries, I now have one failed battery and one used, but still usable battery. I still have to throw away that failed battery, but the other battery can go into my beater Toyota pickup, or the tractor, or the pressure washer, or ... Well, you get the picture.

I have equipment that requires a battery that does not require a battery with 100% reliability. If the battery on the Toyota or tractor fails, itís an inconvenience, but nothing really major, because those items never venture far from home.

I buy two new batteries for the RV, save the used one until something needs a battery, and use the still-good battery from the RV in the equipment. I canít do that with 6-volt batteries.

There are logical reasons for either choice, 6-volt or 12-volt. You get to decide which scenario will work best for you.

Good luck,
Ė Loren
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #12

Well I put 4 interstate 27s for house and 2 31s for coach. I'm a farmer so I got plenty of uses for batteries. Happy trails everybody.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
f my battery bank consists of four 6-volt batteries, I now have one failed battery and three used, but still usable batteries. What am I going to do with three, used 6-volt batteries? Since I don't own a golf cart, I'm going to throw them away.

Ė Loren

Well, first, if you have 4 six volt batteries you really have TWO 12 volt batteries, you always tink of six volt as paired with each other and treat them as a single 12 volt. So if one goes bad you replace both it and it's partner.

There are those who say "When you replace one replace all" I do not happen to be one of them (Save as noted above) but many here would say if one of those 4, be they six or 12 volt, goes bad, Replace all of 'em.

Some folks insist that all batteries in the bank be the same age make, model, size, etc-etc.. I only ask that you treat each of the two six volts in a six volt pair that way.