Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
HHIDan
Over voltage will not necessarily blow a fuse...(however anything that draws more amps than the AMP rating of a fuse will blow that fuse)

Mel
'96 Safari
It's what I said Mel

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #30

No sense in debating anymore...........OP passed back in post #19

Powercat_ras

You nailed it!

Old 03-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would have passed also. 12VDC is the life blood of a coach (water pump, fridge, furnace). 120VAC powers nice to have stuff (TV, A/C, DVR). Pushing 72VDC into something that works off 12VDC is about like a Great Dane coming in the house thru the cat door. He makes it but the hole in the wall just got a lot bigger.

I agree with CountryFit's views concerning DIY by the current owner. Connecting multiple batteries together can be tricky and you'll double the complexity when changing the battery voltage type but the resources to do it right are just a keyboard away.

Six 12VDC batteries connected together in series, one after the other positive to negative will give you 72VDC. If the owner had duplicated the 6 volt set up (three parallel paired batteries with each pair is series) he would have had 24VDC.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I know the OP has already passed on the coach, but.......
You would be hard pressed to wire 6 batteries in series using the same OEM cables. The distances would change between the post. My bet is also that he had 24V.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #33

Right decision (to pass)

You were right to pass on this coach. I've done automotive electronics designs for more years than I care to remember and have seen a lot of failures, too. The fuses are there to save the wiring and prevent a fire not to protect the electronics.

It only takes microseconds for that much excessive voltage to totally fry a circuit. That's actually a good thing because then you know it's bad. The bigger problem is that the over stress can cause a part to degrade. Then every time it's used it can degrade a little more because it was damaged just a little. That can cause a failure in a few minutes, weeks, or months. It's not a risk worth taking unless you want to keep replacing electronic systems for a long time. Every single piece of electronics in that vehicle that was connected should be replaced.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Correct with factory cables there is no way he wired it to produce 72 volts. Not to mention I would bet that 90% of the systems were not powered on. It leaves very few things to have problems with. With most systems protected or not turned on and only 24 volts, I would have him repair what was damaged and wouldnt think twice about purchasing it. Most folks would probably cringe if they knew the things that happened to their used coach before they bought it. Nothing more than a minor hickup.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Fuses protect items under load, not with over voltage. If you blast 72 volts through the system there are any number of possibilities for damage. Switches, relays, sensors that are capable of controlling 12 volt may well not stop 72 volts from jumping controls. Anyone this incompetent may well have had any number of electrical items on without knowledge-knowledge apparently is a scarcity for him.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
CLOSING THIS THREAD

Thanks, folks, for your thoughtful posts. In closing out this sad event I'd like to add a few comments.

First and foremost, I'm thankful for the seller's forthrightness in notifying me of his sad mistake. He lives by the Golden Rule which should give us all some comfort that the Rule isn't dead.

Second, I cancelled the sale and am starting over. This is my second failed purchase due to no fault of mine. This is getting very tiresome not to mention expensive.

Third, my situation proves the value of this forum inasmuch as folks came forward with mainly constructive comments. My (not 8 but 2) parrots, pooch and I thank you again. Smooth roads and easy drives to all.

8Birds over and out
Old 03-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Birds View Post
CLOSING THIS THREAD

Thanks, folks, for your thoughtful posts. In closing out this sad event I'd like to add a few comments.

First and foremost, I'm thankful for the seller's forthrightness in notifying me of his sad mistake. He lives by the Golden Rule which should give us all some comfort that the Rule isn't dead.

Second, I cancelled the sale and am starting over. This is my second failed purchase due to no fault of mine. This is getting very tiresome not to mention expensive.

Third, my situation proves the value of this forum inasmuch as folks came forward with mainly constructive comments. My (not 8 but 2) parrots, pooch and I thank you again. Smooth roads and easy drives to all.

8Birds over and out
8birds.
Methinks most of us assumed you passed on that purchase but I thank you for that closing post.
Mel

Tags
batteries, house batteries