Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
12v HOUSE BATTERIES WIRED WRONG

Help please, guys. Buying a 2002 Beaver 42. Owner to deliver March 18-20. Owner called today saying that he installed and switched on 6 new 12v batteries (instead of 6v deep cycle batteries) that put 72 volts into the coach. Said the interior lights blew as soon as he switched them on. Turned battery disconnect off. Now slides don't work. Says some other electrical stuff not working. Has coach into coach service center to check out the electrical. I need member opinions ASAP.

Will find out how long the batteries were on, what systems was run, etc. But what else should I know about this?

Here are my first questions —

What damage should/could be expected?

Is the chassis electrical isolated from the coach?

What tests should be done to coach and systems?

What latent damage can be expected (shortened life, etc.)?

Seller says, "Everything works." What warranties should I get from seller (probably possible) or the coach service center (Ha!) for damage found later? I'm thinking that in 3 months I ought to be able to ID & repair electrical problems. Friend said perhaps some items like inverter or battery chargers could have expensive damage that appear later.

Since I dot own the coach, what can be done —

What's fair here for me and seller? I want to coach. But if I close I take on risk, if not I have to start over.

Can this battery problem be easily resolved?

Is this serious enough to abort sale?

This is a major last minute mess which may be nothing or something. I look forward to your sage advice.

8Birds

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would not take delivery of the coach until all the electrical systems were checked out by a competent technician and any damaged items were repaired. Maybe you just blew a few fuses, but you won't know until someone more competent than the installer checks it out. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Every item cannot be tested with out a fair amount of work. Things like any electric motor that was turned on could well have melted insulation and allow operation but for only a greatly reduced amount of time. There are tests that can be done and the fact the motor may still work is not of itself proof that no harm was done. Unless you are desperate for this RV, I'd advise walking away, you are probably setting yourself up more trouble down the road. It is problem enough with these houses on wheels to keep systems operational and is only complicated more when we are talking used.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Birds View Post
Help please, guys. Buying a 2002 Beaver 42. Owner delivery March 18-20. Owner called today saying that 6 new 12v batteries (instead of 6v batteries) were hooked up completely wrong putting 72 volts into the coach. Said the interior lights blew as soon as switched on. Turned battery disconnect off. Now slides don't work. Has coach in for service to check electrical. I need opinions.

Will find out how long the batteries were on, what systems was run, what else should I know?

Here are my first questions

What damage should/could be expected?

What tests should be done to coach and systems?
What warranties should I get from seller or coach service center? I'm thinking that in 3-4 months I could ID repair items. Friend said perhaps some items like inverter or battery chargers could have expensive latent damage.
What's fair here for me and seller?
Is this serious enough to abort sale?
This is a major last minute mess which may be nothing or something. I look forward to your sage advice.
8Birds
8Birds
IMO "what's FAIR" is for the current owner to have absolutely everything he, (or some professional?), screwed up... FIXED before he tries to sell it.
(But I very much doubt that that will happen).

I would not even think about buying it...there are coaches for sale that have never had any damage done by some idiot.

WRITE THAT ONE OFF....and consider yourself both smart and lucky.

(You'll have your hands full keeping up with the maintenance and repairs even a great coach requires).

Mel
'96 Safari,146k miles
Old 03-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
The current owner was stupid and nuked his coach. I would do everything possible to get out of the deal and find something else if I were in your shoes.

I don't care how much you had your heart set on it or how fair you want to be. There's tons of RVs out there that haven't been seriously messed up like this and there's no reason at all for you to take a huge loss trying to fix damage that may well be very wide spread across the whole thing.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd run not walk away. Too much potential for hidden damage that will crop up, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year away.
A contract will (well should) always contain a clause to deliver the item in same condition as when it was agreed to. Why you always do a walkthru of a house the day of closing.
Or you can negotiate a discount on the proce and take the risk. Then roll that savings into a warranty and hope it doesn't inconvenience you too much.
Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #7

Here are my thoughts...

Only you know how good that deal was to you... If you walk the coach goes back on the market and someone else buys it and yes I think probably no disclosure. What if you buy another one that was hit by light storm last summer?

Buying used will always involve risk, this one maybe a little more.

However, most stuff is protected by fuses. Everything that is connected to 12volts Ignition was not affected as I assume he never turned the key on...

If the inverter/converter was blown (IF) that's about $2000.
If the refrigerator was blown (IF) that's $2500.
Generator is connected to 12v but probably well protected.
The slideout motors were not running and not connected to the 72 volts so they are OK.

Really can't see what else could go so wrong... but then again I'm very comfortable around electrical.

I would not necessarily walk...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
my thoughts the owner called you to tell about this and is having it repaired.
so he is being honest with you. so talk to him about your fears, and call service
place and talk to them. its better that seller is being honest with you, if you pass
on this coach next seller might not be as honest. thats my 2 cents
good luck
Old 03-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

agree with so many said. apparently this guy is an idiot. he lacks basic diy or maintenance skills but dares to do things he does not know...i would be concerned not just about this, rather in a larger scope of... in past 14 years this coach has been in his hands. what kind of maintenance has he done? did he put right types of oils or fluids, and with the right amounts to wherever needed to be? he doesn't need to be wrong many times, just once will be enough to destroy or shorten the life of some of the critical things.

take one step back... if you really think it's a good deal, make sure do a complete ppi, on both chassis and coach.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #10

72 volts into the coach

I am by far, no electrical wizard here. But, if you hook 6V golf cart batteries up in parallel, you get 6V. If you hook them up in series, you get 12V. Now, if you hook up 12V batteries in parallel you get 12V, correct? And, if you hook them up in series, don't you get 24V and not 72V?

Again, no expert, just trying to figure the math here. And, to the OP, while some are advocating walking away from this coach, I'm wondering just EXACTLY what damage was/is done? I mean, EXACTLY WHAT doesn't work? Does the fridge work? Does the furnace work? Does the water pump work? How about the panel where all the checks are make, i.e. holding tank levels, water heater, Inverter or, Inverter/Charger (if so equipped)???

Now, again, no electrical genius here but, usually, if something is drawing more than a circuit can supply, that's what a fuse is for, correct? But, what about if TOO MUCH voltage is BEING SUPPLIED? Won't the fuse blow in that situation?

What I'm getting at is, has FATAL damage occured on this particular coach, enough for the OP to walk away from? Or, With some reasonable investigation, can it be determined that this is not as big of a problem as many are making it and, maybe, MAYBE, that will be incentive for a possibly better negotiating price, with the educated assumption that, potentially damaged components could/can be repaired/replaced for a reasonable price and, the OP gets what he wants?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #11

Tell him your offer to buy the coach just decreased by $10,000. If he accepts put this money away to pay for repairs down the road.....if he declines then walk away.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would be very reluctant to buy this coach at all! A huge surge like that can do a lot of damage, some of which may not show up right away. Circuit components can be damaged but not actually fail until a later time.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #13

I would think it very difficult to actually wire 6, 12 volt batteries in series. The cable layout shouldn't allow it.

You would need 5 short jumpers to link them and end up with leftover positive and negative cables.

They probably ended up with 3 strings of 24 volts, paralleling 2,12 volt per string.

Still going to fry some stuff. Inverter/charger internal fuses, lights, isolator control fuse if used, water pump if on, maybe the tank and propane monitor system. Even the fridge, control fuse, should have blown and not the whole thing.

If it has a diode isolator, there would be no back feed to the chassis.

If it has a IRD, I would hope the fuse would have blown, protecting from back feed.

If the seller fix's it up and you get a pro to check it out, at his cost, I think a deal can be made.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Another concern in the system is that there are a lot of 12v solenoids in the system including the slides. 24 or 72 VDC could mess them up.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries