Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Greif

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Muddypaws;1660099]Stan.Birch,

And that's just one of thousands of similar pages. Every diesel pusher I've seen comes with at least 4 6V batteries. There must be a reason they go to the added expense to do this.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but MANY diesel pushers come with 12v batteries as standard equipment. My Itasca Meridian came with two 12v starting batteries and three 12v coach batteries. Same with the Fleetwood Discovery that I recently got rid of.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
doc

Appalachian Campers
Like Ram, our previous DP (Itasca Horizon 2000) had 2, 12 volt deep cycle. That was fine as we seldom do anything but parks and CG with power. Present coach has 4, 6 volts. Not what I ordered, but just what it came with. Both were adequate for our needs, but the 4, 6s give me a little more piece of mind
Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #18

If you are always plugged in there is no need for extra batteries. Depending on your camper if you are just overnighting it you should be OK also. A couple days with out charging and you can run into a hassle, unless you are running a heater then the blower will suck down a battery.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIslander View Post
The slides are powered off of the Chassis battery I believe. We just did a 3000 mile trip from Victoria BC to Napa California, back to BC and had no power problems with slides. The slides are all hydraulic, not electric motor driven.

It's a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V.
Hmmm do you handcrank the hydrolic pumps?

Most hydrolic pumps are powered by electric motors or in heavy machinery by a PTO.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIslander View Post
I recently purchased a used Winnebago 33V motorhome and it was fitted with one 12v deep Cycle house battery which I guess might last one or maybe two nights of dry camping.

Is there any sense in purchasing a second 12v hooked up parallel or there still not enough stamina compared to 2, 6v Dc batteries?
When you place 2 or more batteries together they must be of the same approximate age and of the same capacity; otherwise the better battery will be quickly drawn-down by the weaker battery. I prefer using 12V batteries, the ones in our MH are 3- 12V, continous-use, heavy-duty batteries rated at 195AH each.
The battery bay is designed for using 3 12V batteries because the starting batteries are directly above them in another tray. Any taller battery will not fit in the house battery opening. Perhaps the best reason for selecting 12V batteries is if the 12V starting batteries completely fail, you have easy access to replacements until you can get to a battery store.
Read the battery links already provided and make your own informed decisions for which, what type batteries to buy to fit your camping lifestyle.
I see you haven't had time to update your profile yet. Enjoy your new coach!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
... Perhaps the best reason for selecting 12V batteries is if the 12V starting batteries completely fail, you have easy access to replacements until you can get to a battery store.
I can use my bank of 6V batteries as a backup for a failed chassis battery with the flick of a switch on the dash.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post

Most hydrolic pumps are powered by electric motors or in heavy machinery by a PTO.
You read my mind, I was thinking how the HYD. pump was run to move the slides. Jim
Old 07-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
Winnebago usually comes with two 12 volt house batteries, so l would presume one was removed by the previous owner.

One battery would probably do fine for a couple nights of summer camping, but if you intend to spend a night in sub-zero temperatures at truck stop in mid winter on your way down south, you may prefer to have a second battery.

A second battery hooked up in parallel is a good idea. If you have been reading nonsense suggesting that two six volt batteries are better than two 12 volt batteries, then it's just that: Nonsense!

The ampere hour capacity for two six volt batteries is the very same as the ampere hour capacity for two 12 volt batteries.

The two 12 volt batteries which came with our Winnie were configured in parallel, and easily lasted for ten years of gruelling boondocking abuse. They were still working great when we replaced them as a precautionary measure for the upcoming winter trek to the south, where RV batteries are reduced to 50% of their capacity during enroute sub-zero temperatures.
I guess I am one of the people spouting that nonsense. It all depends on what you are doing and what you have. If you only have one battery then it is going to have to be 12 volts. If you only have space for two batteries again they probably both need to be 12 volts. One for the chassis and one for the coach. Now past this is better options. If you have room for 2 6 volt batteries(in addition to the chassis batteries) you will be better off than with (2) 6 volt deep cycle batteries. The 6 volt batteries have thicker plates and will hold up to the deep discharge better. They will also hold up to mechanical abuse of riding down the road better. The bottom line 6 volt batteries are used in higher end coaches where money is not really an object. If multiple batteries were better do you not think companies like newmar, tiffin, winnebago etc would not go to multiple 12 volt batteries.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #24

My bad...of course there's an electric pump. All slides and jacks are hydraulic, but it does seem to be powered off the start battery. I will investigate further. Our MH style is mostly parks with power and occasional dry camping.

The one house battery is new as of this past March, so I might be able to match it...if not...if I have to buy 2, I would buy 6v. (if they fit under the stairs). Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
The 6 volt batteries have thicker plates and will hold up to the deep discharge better. They will also hold up to mechanical abuse of riding down the road better.
Thicker plates, thinner plates, is totally meaningless. The only thing that is meaningful, is whether they are capable of doing the job. The soles on my shoes are 3/8" thick. Do you think 4" thick soles would be an improvement? They would certainly last longer.

Nothwithstanding I had 2 x 12 volt deep cycle Trojan batteries in my rig for ten years of major abuse from a mostly boondocking travel style; and they having crossed the continent every which way, on some of the world's worst roads, my 12 volt batteries were still doing just fine after ten years. The only reason I replaced them is that they may not be up to demands on them for winter travelling when the furnace draws 10 amps throughout most of the night; and batteries at sub-zero temperatures are only good for about half their capacity. They were still fine for summer boondocking for days at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
The bottom line 6 volt batteries are used in higher end coaches where money is not really an object. If multiple batteries were better do you not think companies like newmar, tiffin, winnebago etc would not go to multiple 12 volt batteries.
I don't know what manfacturer you had in mind builds a coach where money is not really an object!! Certainly not anyone you mentioned. Winnebago installed 12 volt deep cycle batteries in my rig, and they did a great job!

As for your bottom line: 6 volt batteries are used in higher end coaches; what's your point?? 12 volt batteries are also used in higher end coaches. So what??

All manufacturers care about is the bottom line: profit! Traditionally, RVers gravitated toward 6 volt batteres merely because they were cheaper.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #26

There are no 6 Volt Battery's in an RV! There ARE 12 Volt battery's made up of two smaller battery's because they are half the weight so easier to handle because two 60 lb batts are easier to handle than one 120 lb batt (which are available).

In general, the heaver the battery, the higher the number of "cycles" it will produce (last), and the lower the depletion the higher the number of rated "cycles".

Ed
USN Ret
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
There are no 6 Volt Battery's in an RV! There ARE 12 Volt battery's made up of two smaller battery's because they are half the weight so easier to handle because two 60 lb batts are easier to handle than one 120 lb batt (which are available).

In general, the heaver the battery, the higher the number of "cycles" it will produce (last), and the lower the depletion the higher the number of rated "cycles".

Ed
USN Ret
Interesting position! And so, these 'two smaller batteries' you refer to. What are their individual voltages?
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post

Ed
USN Ret
Did you ever look at it that there only 2 volt cells and they are packaged into different containers we call batteries?

The RV DC electrical system is 12 volts, therefore any combination of 6 cells, properly wired, will function.

Tags
batteries, house batteries