Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #1

12volt vs 6 volt house batteries

I recently purchased a used Winnebago 33V motorhome and it was fitted with one 12v deep Cycle house battery which I guess might last one or maybe two nights of dry camping.

Is there any sense in purchasing a second 12v hooked up parallel or there still not enough stamina compared to 2, 6v Dc batteries?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #2

It all starts off with , what and how do you plan to Camp ? Some people get by with a simple single battery and others need enough power to launch the Space Shuttle.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIslander View Post
I recently purchased a used Winnebago 33V motorhome and it was fitted with one 12v deep Cycle house battery which I guess might last one or maybe two nights of dry camping.

Is there any sense in purchasing a second 12v hooked up parallel or there still not enough stamina compared to 2, 6v Dc batteries?
All you could possibly what to know!
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
Old 07-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slides?

Of you have any slides a single battery is not adequate.

6 volt batteries have thicker plates and will probably last a whole lot longer than 12s. They also hold up to deep discharges better.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #5

The slides are powered off of the Chassis battery I believe. We just did a 3000 mile trip from Victoria BC to Napa California, back to BC and had no power problems with slides. The slides are all hydraulic, not electric motor driven.

It's a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Winnebago usually comes with two 12 volt house batteries, so l would presume one was removed by the previous owner.

One battery would probably do fine for a couple nights of summer camping, but if you intend to spend a night in sub-zero temperatures at truck stop in mid winter on your way down south, you may prefer to have a second battery.

Quote:
A second battery hooked up in parallel is a good idea. If you have been reading nonsense suggesting that two six volt batteries are better than two 12 volt batteries, then it's just that: Nonsense!

The ampere hour capacity for two six volt batteries is the very same as the ampere hour capacity for two 12 volt batteries.

The two 12 volt batteries which came with our Winnie were configured in parallel, and easily lasted for ten years of gruelling boondocking abuse. They were still working great when we replaced them as a precautionary measure for the upcoming winter trek to the south, where RV batteries are reduced to 50% of their capacity during enroute sub-zero temperatures.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll give you my 2 cents. If you plan on adding a 2nd 12V battery, you should think about the age of your current battery. Would the new one be compatible? I installed two six volt batts in my '06 Itasca 35A. The only mod I had to make was to lengthen the hold-down rods. The CG-2's fit fine, except for their height compared to the 12V's they replaced. The twin 6V will give you more capacity if you need it.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
nonsense?

Stan.Birch,

Nonsense? In your not so humble opinion maybe. But you're in a very small minority.

It's simple arithmetic. Watch this : Twelve- or six-volt deep cycle RV batteries : What's best? - YouTube And he doesn't even go into the differences in construction!

And that's just one of thousands of similar pages. Every diesel pusher I've seen comes with at least 4 6V batteries. There must be a reason they go to the added expense to do this. Do you know something the manufacturers and engineers don't?

With that said: We used 2 12V group 27 batteries for years. Both in TT's, a class C, and fifth wheels. Never had a problem other than having to run a generator once or twice a week. If you have a generator why bother? 2 12Volt will work fine, easier on the back and the pocketbook. When they go bad just about any auto store will have replacements on the shelf.

Bear in mind that the second battery has to be the same brand/type and age as the first or you may have an electrical imbalance which will drag both batteries down. i.e. Always replace them in pairs. Almost always.....
Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

6v batteries do not have any more inherent capacity than 12v batteries. It's the size that makes the difference, not 6v vs 12v. A pair of the common GC2 6v's have enough plates inside to deliver about 225 amp-hours of power. A pair of Group 29 or Group 31 12v's have about the same AH (about 230 AH) and take up about the same space. The RV Doctor stated it clearly enough, but he didn't mention the larger capacity sizes of 12v.
Quote:
Every diesel pusher I've seen comes with at least 4 6V batteries. There must be a reason they go to the added expense to do this. Do you know something the manufacturers and engineers don't?
Sorry, but my American Tradition came with 4 x 12v batteries, the AGM type. 12v are fairly common in large coaches.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #10

Battery School | Batteriesnorthwest.com | Advantages and Disadvantages of using two 12 volt batteries connected in parallel or two 6 volt batteries connected in series.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not certain what all the fuss is about. There is the simple fact of physics. The construction of the battery determines how long it with last with a predetermined discharge rate. There are many other factors to consider but this is the basic rule. My 6 12V AGM's seem to last about 6 hrs before the generator starts to recharge. Of course these are waking hours when we are using more power. When we are sleeping the battery stays up longer.

Another way to look at it is this. If you are not satisfied with the time you are getting from your present setup add more batteries. Another must is to use batteries of the same type and rating. There are volumes of documentation out there to study and you may get a phd in battery configuration out of it. But simply asking a qualified battery distributor for some good advice and your way to success may be an easier path for you.

KISS. Keep it simply simple.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #12

It all about amp-hours, space, and cost. In other words, how many amp-hours can you cram in the space available, and how much is it going to cost; 12 volt or 6 volt is irrelevant. Typically 6 volt gets you more bang for the buck but that is not a hard and fast rule.
Of course if cost is not a consideration, look up the latest in Lithium-ion RV batteries.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
It all about amp-hours, space, and cost...
Another factor is battery life. It is my understanding that 6V batteries should last about twice as long as 12V batteries before replacement is required.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #14

Like GaryRVRoamer says, it's all in the amp-hour rating of the batteries.

Typically, the 12v batteries are Group 24, which are about 70 amp-hours, so having two in parallel will give you 140 amp-hours

Typically, the 6v golf cart batteries are 220 amp-hours for a pair in series.

So the two 6v batteries will definitely give you more than the two 12v batteries.

However, the 6v batteries are taller, so you need to make sure you have the space (the footprint is the same -- but verify before buying!).

Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries