Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

14 PLY 225/70R/19.5 Samson Tires--Can I trust these tires for 6k-7k miles a year?

Howdy Y'All!!

Has anyone used Samson Tires??? Im on a super tight budget and these are 1k for all 6 tires! I can get Goodyear for 2,500 but the 1,500 saved would really help me get my rig running properly!

My rig is in the shop now and could use as much input as quickly as possible..

I know they are Chinese and i hate to support the Commie but i havent worked in over a year and this rig will get me on the road to work in the mines in Elko or fields in North Dakota so i am back against the wall...

dapappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of people are asking this question as Samson becomes more available in the RV market and the Michelin/Goodyear prices leap out of sight. The short answer is that they have no track record in RV use, so there is no clear answer.

In your position you probably have little choice but to gamble on them. Good luck!

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just put 1000 miles on new Samson's. New is usually better, my old Hancook's were rivering and out of round. These are out of balance over 55mph and upon return home will add more balancing beads. So far so good...
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, I'm sure the Sampson tires will work for you. The question with any RV tire is how long will they last. In your case, I would certainly give them a try. Have the shop balance them during installation and if they will not balance within specs, have them mount another one that will.

Best of luck!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
d

I used the Samson tires on my Dutch Star. They have been on for 3 years with zero problems of any kind. I put them on steering axle in Florida after blowing the Goodyears ( 1 front 1rear).
When I got home I put 4 Gladiators on the rear. The same experience as the Samson.
I have problems with Goodyears on any thing.
I still have the Dutch Star but purchased a DP this year. When next summer comes the DP will have Gladiators or Samson on it.
You do not know where tires are made(Mich, GY,Firestone) My Mich were made overseas.
My idea only.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #6

Thank you kindly for the responses! I am financially bound to try the Sampsons at $1,200 for 6 Tires all mounted and Balanced also warrantied its too much of a discount to pass up. I still need to go through all my systems, appliances etc the 1,500 saved will be a big help!

I really did a deep dive online after my post and found what Debusk found anyone that used them had no problems and the only problems where from people who hadnt acutally tried them but didnt like the fact they where Chinese (my gut reaction was in this camp and the price SCARED me to post here). I will test them and let everyone know my experiences.

Vito.a I will follow up on the balancing to spec to ensure everything starts out at factory specs.

Cheers!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Samson 275R80 22.5 with a manufacture date of Nov 2010 were on my DP when we bought it last Dec. So far have put 3000 miles on them with no problems at all. I too was skeptical, since I had not heard of them, but after my limited experience, I would say save the money and put them on. Good luck with work.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

I don't have Samsons yet but I do have Vesta tires which are Chinese tires. The front tires are 8 years old and the rears are 7 years old. They still look new but I will be replacing them with Samsons in the next few weeks because of their age. Don't be afraid of tires because they are Chinese. Most of the complaints on these forums are from owners of the American tire companies like Goodyear and Michelin. By the way, my last trip was over 2000 miles on these tires in July of 2012 with no problems. Like everything manufactured, a lemon will show up every now and again.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Just had 2 Samson GL83 steer tires 245/70r 19.5 16ply steel belted put on my RV . Total cost out the door less than $500. The tire dealer said GoodYear and many other well known tires are all made in China. Truckers have been using Samsons for many years with good results.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #10

I had Samsons on the rear of my old Southwind 3 yrs. no problems.I don't think you can find a tire as bad as those some of us grew up on 40-50 yrs ago. I've had 2 radial tires go out over the years 1 Michelin & 1 Firestone. I think both lost air heated up before sidewall failed. Steel belts help keep tread stable with sidewall shot. Those old bias tires would have had me all over the road.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #11

The US and other tire manufactures gave the knowhow to the Koreans, as they were producing tires for the US. It was a matter of time before they kick our a** in manufacturing...Like the Chinese

I pitty many of the kids graduating from colleges, who know only how to play on Xbox...Very few jobs available

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapappas View Post
Howdy Y'All!!

Has anyone used Samson Tires??? Im on a super tight budget and these are 1k for all 6 tires! I can get Goodyear for 2,500 but the 1,500 saved would really help me get my rig running properly!
mines in Elko or fields in North Dakota so i am back against the wall...
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Who sells Samson Tires?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapappas View Post
Howdy Y'All!!

My rig is in the shop now and could use as much input as quickly as possible..

I know they are Chinese and i hate to support the Commie but i havent worked in over a year and this rig will get me on the road to work in the mines in Elko or fields in North Dakota so i am back against the wall...
Where did you find your Samson tires?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #14

I bought my Samson Tires at a store in Reno, NV. It's an independent Reno Vulcanizing $177 per tire.

Tags
tires