Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

15 Itasca 36Y, first trip out, none of the Schwintek slides work

I'm posting this here because the problem is with the Schwintek slides, not the brand name of the coach and this is the first trip out this season, worked fine last fall.
I'm at he lake, got all leveled up and none of the slides would go out.To cut all the long part of the story, I called Winnebago and they were no help, just said "take it to the dealer", they did what they could over the phone.

After some extensive analysis, I hotwired each controller individually and ran the slides out. I'll have to do the same thing to get them back in.

The problem seemed to be one that affected all the slides as a group. All the controllers have individual wires so that idea didn't make much sense until I got to the wall rocker switches for operating the slides. Each switch is a single pole double throw rocker switch. The center wire on the switch provides power to either end wire, depending on which way the switch is pushed. The center power wire on all three switches are joined together in the wall and go down to the floor to somewhere for power. There is the common wire that operates all three slides. Don't know if there is a fuse somewhere, or what. Have checked all the circuit breakers that I know and in the process I found a couple of inline spade fuses for something with no labels.
Any ideas where this wire would be getting power from would make this camping trip a lot more enjoyable.
Thanks for any suggestions. Sometimes suggestions sound really stupid, but lead to something else where the problem is found, so let me have them.

One last thing I really like about the Itasca, in the wall where all the control panels are located and there is a full fist full of wires, all the wires are either yellow or white. Really makes it easy to trace.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The yellow and white wires will have the harness part number and the circuit number printed on them and the harness drawings can be found on winnebagos website under resources.
Cyicamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
One more thing. Is the slide room key in the on position.?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #4

Cyicamp, I have no slide key, at least I've never seen one. That would just be too easy. The only key I have like that is for the overhead bunk and it's up front by the pass. seat.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about some sort of ignition or gear indicator interlock? I don't even know if there is such a thing, but maybe that'll lead to something.
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The key to operate the slide room is on the monitor panel. If it is not there look in the owners manual.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Do you have the park brake engaged and is the brake light on the dash on?

My slide won't go out unless it is engaged.

Also last year I had the power wire end coroad off at the battery terminal.

96 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
Old 03-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
2015 Winnebago slides ...

Have to believe the slides were operated multiple times at the dealer so unless something happened since then it should work.

Here's the procedure...

1. The ignition key has to be in on or acc position.

2. The parking brake must be set.

3. Winnebago recommends coach be level before operating slides. If parking long term and are going to level with landing jacks, do that first.

This 2015 RV won't have key interlock, just a in/out switch for each one. After steps 1 and 2, the switches should work.

With Swintek slides it is important to hold the switch down and let the entire slide movement happen in one process. And continue to hold the switch down until you hear the motors completely stop turning. This aligns the two ends of the slides and completely compresses the slide seals. The control system for the motors has protection for the motors, don't worry you won't hold burn up the motors by holding the switch down a few seconds after the slide stops moving in either direction.

Troubleshooting -

-- make sure you have house battery disconnect switch by the door NOT in the storage mode

-- make sure you have house battery voltage in green on monitor panel, if not run engine or connect to shore power to supplement the coach batteries while using slide motors

--check the slide circuit breakers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #9

Slide movement requires ignition off

My Thor Palazzo requires the brakes on and the ignition OFF to operate the Schwintek slides. This is an interlock to keep from moving the slide while the coach is moving. I have been frustrated before on this issue but it has also saved me from a stupid mistake.
BoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

Just as a re-try, I dropped the coach down off the jacks, shut everything down for a short time and started over again.
Started the engine, shifted through the gears, set the brake/light "on", leveled with the jacks, engine running and tried the slide switches, still nothing.
Going to spend the afternoon looking around to see what I can find.
Thanks every one.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDu View Post
My Thor Palazzo requires the brakes on and the ignition OFF to operate the Schwintek slides. This is an interlock to keep from moving the slide while the coach is moving. I have been frustrated before on this issue but it has also saved me from a stupid mistake.
Winnebago different. 2015 class A units require the ignition key to be in and on and parking brake to be set before slides will work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #12

I would suggest leaving the engine off with the ignition on in the first position.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:13 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

It sure sounds like a circuit breaker or a fuse but I don't understand why it would work then with a hot wire. We had a problem where we couldn't get out jacks up. A fuse had blown but its location was a mystery. Talked to Winnebago and a mention that it would be screwed to the underneath of the floor lead us in the right direction. We hot wired around it until we got a new fuse.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #14

Hope the problem will be solved today. Many of the suggestions above included the parking brake and it having some electrical interlock to the jacks and slides.
I got the seat moved out of the way as much as possible so I could lay on the floor and see up under the dash where the parking brake assembly was attached. I wanted to see the switch & wires that were activated by the brake. Everything looked fine and while I was there I opened up the fuse block that is located by the drivers left foot. Went through all the fuses and a 10A fuse on the bottom was burned. Looking through the ford book for the labels, it was listed as "body builder fuse". There were a few other fuses with the same label, which means the coach builder can use those slots for what ever they need.
I'm betting that fuse provides the 12V to the slide switches that run the slide controllers. It was late enough yesterday that I didn't pull another fuse just to try it, I'll get some new fuses today and hope we'll be back in business.

Tags
itasca, slide