Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

$150k to spend - 2 years old vs 10 years old..

Going from a Thor Outlaw (gas) to a DP, I am looking to spend about $150k
I might go high as $200k if I find something that is over the time spectacular but $150k is comfortable.

I'd rather let someone else take a nice slice of depreciation off the top go with something that is used.

But how used?

MSRP for a 2015 model might have been around $225k
MSRP for a 2010 model might have been around $450k

So with my budget, would you rather own a $450k rig that is 8 years old
or a newer RV that started out around $225k

In either case I'd bee looking for low miles with the firm understanding that I'd have to do SOME work to get them..

I'd love some input.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
My first motorhome was a 1972 Open Road. In five years I replaced one thermocouple. Everything was manual on the coach. The more bells and whistles there are, the more to go wrong. Not knocking fancy, just making a statement.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would go older to get a more upscale model. It's not just the amenities or snob appeal - they are generally built better, with a more capable chassis, quality flooring and upholstery and paint job, and lots of improved details behind the covers.

$150k will get you a solid American Coach, Newmar Essex, Tiffin Allegro Bus, or Winnie Tour, just a few years older than the lesser brands.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I would go older to get a more upscale model. It's not just the amenities or snob appeal - they are generally built better, with a more capable chassis, quality flooring and upholstery and paint job, and lots of improved details behind the covers.

$150k will get you a solid American Coach, Newmar Essex, Tiffin Allegro Bus, or Winnie Tour, just a few years older than the lesser brands.
Thanks buddy.
You replied to one of my other threads a week or two ago.
Very helpful.

I appreciate it!!

Would you say that there is a noticeable difference jumping between $150k to 200k when looking at last decades RV's?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Why did you leave off the 32-34’ limit in this post? Makes a “big” difference in what might meet your requirements. I would not chip a ISL as it’s at the max for a 3000/3200 Allison...not that rigs that small will have one.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #6

No doubt go with an older higher cost unit. 5 to 7 years old is when the depreciation slows down dramatically.

It will most l likely have a stronger chassis, better finishing inside etc.

We moved from a midrange to an upper range Coach. The new one has real cherry cabinets with real plywood boxes. I have yet to find pressboard anywhere. The basement is fully heated, its quiet when parked and driving.

I think for the 150 to 200 you can get a nice motorhome. Don't spend your whole budget on one. Hold back 20k to do updates repairs etc.

When we were shopping last year we were looking for an older Marathon / Prevost. The plan was buy an older cosmetically worn out unit then have it rebuilt at the factory. The issues with that plan is that Prevost based units have tighter floorplans due to the lack of or smaller slides. Yes they are high quality builds but but when parked we wanted several things in the floor plan.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
Thanks buddy.
You replied to one of my other threads a week or two ago.
Very helpful.

I appreciate it!!

Would you say that there is a noticeable difference jumping between $150k to 200k when looking at last decades RV's?
I suppose I could have but I just posted up another thread a minute later that had the specific details of what I am looking for.
Wanted to keep the posts from having too much crossover, but I can see what you mean.

Tried editing.. Permission not allowed..
Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Going from a Thor Outlaw (gas) to a DP, I am looking to spend about $150k on something with a length at or under under 34'

I might go high as $200k if I find something that is over the time spectacular but $150k is comfortable.

I'd rather let someone else take a nice slice of depreciation off the top go with something that is used.

But how used?

In either case I'd be looking for low miles with the firm understanding that I'd have to do SOME work to get them..

I'd love some input.

PS.
For what it's worth, here is what we are looking for:

Requirements of rigs we are considering:

Class A Diesel pusher
32-34' (This is the kicker)
Cummins 8.9 ILS
Allison 3000 (though I'd take a 4k in a heart beat)
Air bag suspension
2 slide outs minimum (3 would be nice)
Sleeps 6
Old 10-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
No doubt go with an older higher cost unit. 5 to 7 years old is when the depreciation slows down dramatically.

It will most l likely have a stronger chassis, better finishing inside etc.

We moved from a midrange to an upper range Coach. The new one has real cherry cabinets with real plywood boxes. I have yet to find pressboard anywhere. The basement is fully heated, its quiet when parked and driving.

I think for the 150 to 200 you can get a nice motorhome. Don't spend your whole budget on one. Hold back 20k to do updates repairs etc.

When we were shopping last year we were looking for an older Marathon / Prevost. The plan was buy an older cosmetically worn out unit then have it rebuilt at the factory. The issues with that plan is that Prevost based units have tighter floorplans due to the lack of or smaller slides. Yes they are high quality builds but but when parked we wanted several things in the floor plan.

Thanks man..
I always allow some padding for remodeling and repairs so I'll be setting aside about $30k to make her my own..

Whomever buys my current Thor Outlaw is going to make a way like a bandit:

Upgraded from 5k Onan genny to 7k

Upgraded 13.5k AC units to 15k high efficiency units

Suspension upgrades:
-Sway bar up front
-Additional stabilizer in the rear
-New Koni shocks all the way around
-New Sumosprings from and rear
-SAFE T PLUS Hydrolic steering stabilizer
-Manged to increase increased the toy hauler load max from 1.5k to 4.5k lbs.

Limo tint all the way around
3M ceramic tint front and sides for reduced heat

Thermo insulation in AD ducts and room
Thermo insulation in fridge cabinet to reduce heat and insulate fridge better
Thermo insulation in front engine cover

Plus a number of other things that were for me
Like a $25k sound system with 9 amps and 25 speakers.

They are going to love it!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks man..
I always allow some padding for remodeling and repairs so I'll be setting aside about $30k to make her my own..

Whomever buys my current Thor Outlaw is going to make a way like a bandit:

Upgraded from 5k Onan genny to 7k

Upgraded 13.5k AC units to 15k high efficiency units

Suspension upgrades:
-Sway bar up front
-Additional stabilizer in the rear
-New Koni shocks all the way around
-New Sumosprings from and rear
-SAFE T PLUS Hydrolic steering stabilizer
-Manged to increase increased the toy hauler load max from 1.5k to 4.5k lbs.

Limo tint all the way around
3M ceramic tint front and sides for reduced heat

Thermo insulation in AD ducts and room
Thermo insulation in fridge cabinet to reduce heat and insulate fridge better
Thermo insulation in front engine cover

Plus a number of other things that were for me
Like a $25k sound system with 9 amps and 25 speakers.

They are going to love it!
All the type of updates you listed will most likely be on a higher end coach. What suffers when you buy an older coach is the bell and whistles. Entertainment systems etc. But you have the right idea. Goodluck!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #11

We got our immaculate 2008 Tiffin 36 QSH for $80,000 with 85,000 miles.

It's not even broken in IMHO. We did replace the captain's chairs, added reclining theater seats, removed a jack-knife love seat and installed a fireplace and elevator TV in one cabinet.

Have no problems other than infrequent corroded connectors. No failures of components. No regrets.

We fulltime...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

The difference is a maybe two model-years and not really significant. I just today saw a ad from a guy who wants to sell his 2011 American Revolution 42T, asking $190k (private seller).

If you want shorter, you may have to go back a few ears anyway - the near-luxury coaches went mostly beyond 40 ft after 2009.

I sold my super-clean 2004 American Tradition 40V for $69k and that was two years ago.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Going from a Thor Outlaw (gas) to a DP, I am looking to spend about $150k

But how used?

In either case I'd be looking for low miles with the firm understanding that I'd have to do SOME work to get them..

I'd love some input.
Budget seems to be Clear - but - what are YOU trying to get to?

I'm pretty sure that that I like Many are totally confused as to what the Mission is?

What do you want - What will you Do With it? - How can we help out if You are not really sure what you want?

To the single Question as to Buying a Higher Quality Coach vs a Lower Quality Coach - Simple older but Higher Quality is Simply Better - IMHO - Better, much Better.

So work on the Mission - List what you are going to need to Meet your Requirements - THEN - start the search to find a Good High Quality used Coach that meets Your requirements. Stay on Mission - Stay in Budget - It's out there but without a Firm List of Needs, not much that we can contribute, especially if the Target keeps Changing/Moving.

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Budget seems to be Clear - but - what are YOU trying to get to?

I'm pretty sure that that I like Many are totally confused as to what the Mission is?

What do you want - What will you Do With it? - How can we help out if You are not really sure what you want?

To the single Question as to Buying a Higher Quality Coach vs a Lower Quality Coach - Simple older but Higher Quality is Simply Better - IMHO - Better, much Better.

So work on the Mission - List what you are going to need to Meet your Requirements - THEN - start the search to find a Good High Quality used Coach that meets Your requirements. Stay on Mission - Stay in Budget - It's out there but without a Firm List of Needs, not much that we can contribute, especially if the Target keeps Changing/Moving.

JMHO,

Thanks for the kind approach and solid advice.

The RV we have now is an Outlaw.
A gas guzzling toy hauler that we bought to use at Burning Man every year.

I am our camp's kitchen lead and I bring the heat in the RV.
The toy hauler carries our camps kitchen equipment. Smoker, oven, sink, stove etc.. All propane and commercial restaurant stuff.

I decided to build an art car for burning man.
Probably a Toyota taco chassis chopped up a bit with a 15k watt pro audio sound system with a freezer to pass out Popsicle during the day with hot box to pass out pizza slices at night.

I need to trailer that thing and the Outlaw cannot pull it plus all of our restaurant equipment plus the new stuff I want to buy.
I am going to go with an enclosed trailer to haul everything from Phoenix to Black Rock City Nevada where the burn is every year.

So now, I want a DP that is crazy strong.
I don't want to ever worry about the engine or tranny due to the demand I put on it. Ultimately, I'd like an 8.9 with Allison 4k so that I can have peace of mind that I have more than I need.

I am not certain how much weight I will be pulling, but I know that if I have room in the trailer, I'll find something to stuff in it.

Our Outlaw is 38' feet long. the back 10 feet is garage which leaves us about 28' of livable space.
So stepping down in total length to 34' is actually a nice jump for us to live in.
I am ok pulling a 24' trailer behind a 40' RV, but in an attempt to reduce the gross weight, and make it easier for my wife to drive (without the trailer) as well as gas, I'd like to keep it smaller. 32-34 would be nice but 36' would be fine.
If I have to suck it up, and go with a 38 footer, I will but I'd rather keep it smaller if possible.

That right there just about sums it up, but I'd be happy to answer any other questions in more detail!