Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

18 month old in carseat

Hi all,

We pick up our 2016 Coachmen Pursuit tomorrow - first RV, first timers! Very excited.

We have a 1.5 year old. In the car she's still rear facing in a convertible seat. The law in IN to forward face is 1 year, 20 lbs.

I know there are no standards on where to put a car seat in a class A and have already been told about the "death trap" we are purchasing.

One of our reasons with going with what we did was because the seats are bolted into the metal frame. We don't have a swivel seat, just the co-pilot, dinette and couch.

What are your experiences with this? I'm. It opposed to her forward facing in the RV since we won't be using it every day. Lots of people (non RV owners) are advising us to put the seat in the co-pilot chair and turn the airbag off. This makes me nervous. DH is partial to the dinette (we would remove the table) but I was leaning towards the couch.

We will be asking the tech tomorrow when we pick it up.

Any advice here? Thanks in advance - we are super excited to be a part of the community!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Other than when sleeping, I think Mama and baby will be next to each other. It will probably boil down to where Mama will be more comfortable, couch or dinette. Dinettes are pretty straight backed and not comfortable to me. I guess your floor plan has the couch behind the driver seat (either side). While your driving, you will also be able to talk to the wife easier if she's closer.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

I would be looking at a seat that faces the direction of travel. If the couch is along the wall and sudden breaking would send the child sideways instead of into the car seat back or harnesses.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

Class A motorhomes don't stop fast enough for a sideways car seat to be an issue unless that stoppage is due to hitting a wall. Relax and mount the car seat firmly in either location, drive normally ( Carefully ), and have a good time.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

The dinette was the obvious place in our coach. For a while, we had our daughter in the forward dinette seat, carseat belted to it so that she was facing rearward. I forget what age/size but when it was legal, we switched to the rear dinette seat with the carseat facing forward. Of course, we had the table down in the bed position.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier12315 View Post
and turn the airbag off.
I'm pretty sure that no class A coaches have airbags. At least I read that on another thread somewhere recently.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"hoosier12315"......We occasionally take our grandchildren with us and use a car seat. We have sofa right behind the passenger seat in, located within a slide. So between the front passenger seat and sofa, is the wall of the slide. We place the seat on the sofa, closest to the slide, using the sofa seat belts and then stick a large pillow between the child seat and slide wall.

Unless it's a roll over wreck, the child will be well protected. Some people get pretty wound around the axle about car seat placement when 20 years ago, they weren't even used and cars were no where near as safe as they are today.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

That's pretty much like we do it too. We have two grandsons still in Car seats. We seatbelt them to the couch, right across from the TV. My wife adds the pillows too, even though they are really not needed. We put in one of their videos, and they watch TV nice and content while we are traveling.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #9

Thanks all! We went with the front dinette and put the table down. She was able to watch TV while I catnapped on the sofa. Seemed to work really well.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #10

Check out your owner's manual. Some rigs have special attach points for "child car seats". My Winne has one on the dinette to allow the seat to be installed facing forward.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
18 month old in carseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Class A motorhomes don't stop fast enough for a sideways car seat to be an issue unless that stoppage is due to hitting a wall. Relax and mount the car seat firmly in either location, drive normally ( Carefully ), and have a good time.

Uh...they do if they hit something, a bridge, a blown tire - off the road into a tree, a head on collision, etc. oh, yeah they can stop fast as in 60 to Zero in one second...any moving vehicle can.

No airbags in Class A's.

You didn't research this and figure out how to travel with your 1.5 yo baby BEFORE purchasing it? Really? Wow.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Uh...they do if they hit something, a bridge, a blown tire - off the road into a tree, a head on collision, etc. oh, yeah they can stop fast as in 60 to Zero in one second...any moving vehicle can.

No airbags in Class A's.

You didn't research this and figure out how to travel with your 1.5 yo baby BEFORE purchasing it? Really? Wow.
Yes, actually we did. I did a lot of research and when you Google "RV and car seats" you mostly get people telling you that they are horrible death traps that you should never have a child in a car seat in because of the cabinetry and projectiles. With that logic you should never have any child (or person) in the RV.

We were originally looking at used RVs (somewhere in the 2000-2005 year range.) However, after looking on the lot and talking to the experts, the newer models have the seats and belts bolted to the metal frame stead of plywood, have the back up and side cameras, etc. Overall safety is much better on a new RV so we made the plunge. In fact after learning about the safety features of the new RVs there was no question in our minds.

After much research there three places to put a car seat: dinette, couch, passenger seat (as long as airbags are off, which as someone mentioned there aren't any in this particular class A.) Couch seats carry a risk because they are soft. Dinettes in old RVs carry a big risk because the seats aren't bolted to the metal frame. Ours are.

I was asking what others had done and what worked best for them. Trust me, this purchase was not made randomly one weekend with no thought process.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #13

We put ours on the sofa. No accidents so no crash data! Thank goodness.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 08-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #14

Quote:
We can drive normally and carefully all we want. You forget that even when we manage to do this, there are other non attentive drivers sharing the road with us. A motorhome can hit something solid or be hit by something larger than it. You're not gonna be in good shape if either happens.

Personally, i wouldn't even think of placing my carseat aged child on a side facing sofa. A carseat is designed to face front or rear so it just makes sense that those positions offer the better protection.