Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
190" Wheelbase

In looking around at motorhomes I've come across the Newmar Kountry Star DP model 3355. I like the size and layout but I see that it is on a 190" wheelbase. Total MH length is 33'-08".
From what I've read it seems as if having a wheelbase to total length ratio that is less than 50% almost guarantees handling issues. In this MH the ratio would be about 47%.
It seems like a pretty short chassis. Should a person be concerned with this?

Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That does seem awful short.
One of the things I was concerned with was wheel base length when we were looking.
Which is why I chose what I did. 34'10" = 242" wheelbase.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
  • I agree. I wouldn't even settle for a 190 wb on a 30' model. Too much tail wagging the dog. Shorter wheelbase chassis is cheaper so some manf use them to cut costs.
2005 30' Rexhall Vision, W-22 chassis, 19.5 tires, 208'' factory WB, 6000 CCC
scoutmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
I have a KSDP 3353 with the 190" wheelbase, it's the only class A I've owned or driven. I've had it for 3 years and put around 20k miles on it. I also read the recommendations and comments on wheel base vs. length before purchasing mine. My experience has been positive, I do feel the semi's pushing me over when they overtake on the freeways and in a crosswind it's not fun at all. Friends in 40'ers make the same comments. On a smooth road in relatively calm conditions it is a joy to drive. I've never felt the "tail was wagging the dog". I should note that I do pull a toad, though there was no toad for the 5k miles back from Florida and the biggest difference between having one or not was mileage. My advise would be to take it for a good long test drive trying as many road types and conditions as possible. Good luck.
2004 Newmar KSDP 3353
Surrey B.C.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

I have a Fred with 200 wb on 33 chassis. The extra weight of the diesel up front keeps it steady in all conditions
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
A test drive will tell you more about how a motorhome handles than just reviewing the specifications. A shorter wheel base gives more manuverability and handling problems can be fixed with after market products like Koni shocks, stiffer sway bars, track bars, safety steering gear, and 4 wheel alignments. A longer wheel base will be a little smoother on good highways but may limit the places you can go or turn into, and there are no after market fixes for that.

My 2012 Newmar Bay Star 2901 has a 190" wheel base with enough weight on the front axle and the improvements listed in my signature below that I do not get pushed around by the bow wave or turbulance from passing semis; I do not know I am being passed until I see the front of the semi coming along side.

If the front axle has about 40% of the weight the RV will probabley handle well.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 31' is on a 190 wheelbase. With the rear track bar and the CHF I have no problems from trucks.

I don't know whether I would want to have an additional 4 feet of sail in the back. As others say test drive it on freeways and see what passing trucks are doing to it.

2001 Hurricane 29D
2015 Kia Sorento
Kymco Motor Scooter
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote