Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #1

1981 Southwind 12 volt question

Hello all, I have an '81 Southwind. My question deals with the 12V coach light circuit. I found that my 12V light circuit has a direct to ground short somewhere. I'm attempting to trace from the 12V fuse panel out and find the short.

Does anyone have a wire diagram for the 12V system on this particular RV?
It would make it easier to trace knowing where this wire travels after it leaves the fuse box. I know eventually it gets to the lights so what I'm looking for is does it go under the bed, then in the wall then up the the roof, etc. Anyone who has worked with electronics on vehicles knows that there is never any rhyme or reason sometimes on how they are wired.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and make the task easier. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #2

Look on this site under fleet wood owners then stickies I see yours there its 41 pages I also may have more at home ill check this afternoon

Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time, We found that the bulb socket had broken or a bulb was shorted in the socket. I always went through the light fixtures and checked the sockets one at a time. 90% of the time, that was the problem.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

"Look on this site under fleet wood owners then stickies I see yours there its 41 pages I also may have more at home ill check this afternoon"

Which sticky do I look under?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

Latest find during my "easter egging" around. My lights work fine when coach is connected to 120AC or on generator but will not work when on aux battery. On aux battery, I have 12 volts at all circuits on my fuse panel. All other items work except lights.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #6

go down to fleetwood then the second sticky one of my laptops are down but i should have other info on my external hard drive let me know
Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 AM   #7

So after more days of digging into elec and getting some old wire diagrams I found the problem. It appears that during the last aux battery change the main negative lead from aux batt to converter was put on the positive term of the battery by accident. Once I installed it correctly on the battery, the 12 volt equip in the rv started to work properly. Except for the furnace. The power wire for the furnace cooked to ground. I have run new wire for the furnace.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #8

Any info on the Duotherm 65930??

Furnace is all happy, sort of, with new wiring. It worked for approx. 3 seconds. Now I have to deal with a past problem in the coach, mice. I found where mice had built a city block in the furnace ducts. The fan ran for a couple seconds then sounded like it seized up. I can only imagine that their little city is caught in the fan somehow. If anyone has any intimate knowledge of the DuoTherm 65930 furnace please pass it this way, especially on how to get at the fan housing. Oh well, it's always something with an rv.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been there did that once. The only thing different was I blew a 250 amp fuse and nothing would work off the inverter. Jim
Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #10

Well flipped the thermostat for furnace yesterday and it started working....correctly. Part of mousetown blew out of the furnace. I removed it and let the furnace run yesterday for approx 15 minutes. I've removed a lot of what those little critters had built so I'm hoping this was the last of it. The motorhome sat a good bit with 2 previous owners so the mice had their way with the motorhome. I usually drive it every weekend somewhere. I won't let it sit even if I have to drive it to work a couple times a week. Anyhoo, c y'all later.

Mike
Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
A light bulb is a short. Remove the bulbs and test again. Make sure you get them all. That's where I would begin.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtwin987 View Post
Latest find during my "easter egging" around. My lights work fine when coach is connected to 120AC or on generator but will not work when on aux battery. On aux battery, I have 12 volts at all circuits on my fuse panel. All other items work except lights.
Hi,

That fuse block sounds like it has a 12v supply. I would look very close at that block and its connections. Front and back if possible.

You could try a fuse holder and some wire and feed that light circuit wire after you disconnect it from that fuse block. If the lights work and the fuse in the test holder does not blow then you will know that the coach wiring to the lights is intact. Then back to that fuse holder that the lights were hooked to.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #13

I had the problem of my furnace kicking on and blowing air but it wouldn't ignite to get warm air. All of the wiring was good, I was puzzled. I tried it the next day and it lit. Good since.

Tags
southwind