Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #1

1985 fleetwood southwind

Hello all! I am new to this forum as am I with motor homes. My wife and I were given the opportunity to purchase a 1985 fw southwind for an extremely low price, at least I think it's low, $800. It has 454 with 40,000 original miles. I have tried twice to get started and bring home but battery was an issue first day, so brought a new battery today and upon turning over immediately started on the small amount of gas I poured in carb to help it out since it was almost a year since cranked. It sounded perfect but only a small amount of fuel was delivered to carb not anything much more than a few drops. I read that It may have electric pump along with mechanical pump. I crawled front to back following lines but found no pump. Did the 85 have in tank pump? I thought it was later year models for in tank pump. I did not drop tank yet want to try to get home first. If I connect a "tank" between mechanical and (possible) electric around 2' higher than engine, would gravity feed be enough to supply carb to get home aprox. 20 miles 90% highway? Thanks I'm sure I will need a lot more advice and help, like what could be draining my batteries when everything looks to be off. Thank you!
ScottyCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #2

This might come in as a handy reference as you resolve the fuel flow and then tackle all the other nuances of an older rig.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1987...al-172141.html
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
This might come in as a handy reference as you resolve the fuel flow and then tackle all the other nuances of an older rig.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1987...al-172141.html
Thanks I have the original owners manual from fleetwood but its no help, I'm gonna chk pump relay today and put new mechanical pump. Is 800$ a decent price for a rig so old?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

Scott: $800 can be a bargain...depending on what you will be required to perform to bring it up to your standards. In our RV world...you can get into the thick of repair quick. Up along the top of the forum window is a tab for FILES. Go there and seek some diagrams. Also...there is a buyers checklist. Use the check list to go over your rig as if you were buying it again. Fill and turn on everything... make sure it is all running well. Go up on the roof and as you are scrubbing it with some Comet and dish detergent....look for tears and areas that need some TLC. I use DICOR lap seal as a caulking and Liquid Roof as a total roof seal. There is also Eterna Bond tape for tears and larger patching.
Tires are a big deal on our rigs ... driving on old tires have been the demise of some decent folk. Make sure you date code and respect the RV Tire.
Good Luck....keep us posted on your success and failures.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to iRV2! Sounds like a good deal if you can get everything up and running. You might consider posting specific questions about your engine in the Workhorse/Chevy section of the board. Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum - iRV2 Forums
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those year fleet woods still had a fuel pump on the engine. Most people added electric pumps on them near the rear with a regulator and inline filter. The only other common problem was rear end sag which a set of airbags will fix.
Sounds like a great deal.
Ditto checking tire date codes and replacing after 5 years
garyswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #7

Thank you!!! I am just getting in now from a long day trying to get rig home!! Man I have my work cut out for me! I changed the mechanical pump with no success, I am in dire need of a detailed wiring diagram to get wiring squared away with battery connections. The previous owner is as clueless as I am and there is something pulling my batteries down. All three batteries were disconnected , I reconnected to points that were obvious by the permanent bend but one or two could be either one. Also I am guessing elec pump is in the tank because it is nowhere else it could be that I haven't checked. Would a bad elec. pump prevent mechanical pump from delivering fuel? I was under the impression that the elec is mainly to prevent vapor lock. I just need to get rig to my home 20 miles so I will have access to all necessary tools. Is there any way to use only mechanical to limp home?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #8

I have a 1085 southwind the electric pump is found behind the generator you have 2 bolts to let it slide out if you P or email il walk you thru this on the phone the electric pump is not in the tank but is tied into the oil pressure switch I'm on the coast now on vacation 350 miles in mine with Jim's RIP mod. I got 9.0 mpg first time no toad a 5500 lbs truck
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
I have a 1085 southwind the electric pump is found behind the generator you have 2 bolts to let it slide out if you P or email il walk you thru this on the phone the electric pump is not in the tank but is tied into the oil pressure switch I'm on the coast now on vacation 350 miles in mine with Jim's RIP mod. I got 9.0 mpg first time no toad a 5500 lbs truck
I just realized you commented on my thread I was looking through old threads and found you hence the post to old thread, behind generator??!! Man thats a relief ! I just knew I was gonna be stuck dropping tank!! That's the best news all day! I read somewhere that the oil pressure switch will prohibit pump from operating? Do you know long does engine run before power is supplied to pump?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #10

Check email I sent you my number you should be here on the beach
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyCheryl View Post
Hello all! I am new to this forum as am I with motor homes. My wife and I were given the opportunity to purchase a 1985 fw southwind for an extremely low price, at least I think it's low, $800. It has 454 with 40,000 original miles. I have tried twice to get started and bring home but battery was an issue first day, so brought a new battery today and upon turning over immediately started on the small amount of gas I poured in carb to help it out since it was almost a year since cranked. It sounded perfect but only a small amount of fuel was delivered to carb not anything much more than a few drops. I read that It may have electric pump along with mechanical pump. I crawled front to back following lines but found no pump. Did the 85 have in tank pump? I thought it was later year models for in tank pump. I did not drop tank yet want to try to get home first. If I connect a "tank" between mechanical and (possible) electric around 2' higher than engine, would gravity feed be enough to supply carb to get home aprox. 20 miles 90% highway? Thanks I'm sure I will need a lot more advice and help, like what could be draining my batteries when everything looks to be off. Thank you!
check the fuel filter first. that little item causes so much pain.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote