Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

1985 Winnebago Chieftain estimated mpg

Hi,

I was curious as to what I may be expecting for MPG on a 1985 Winnebago Chieftain.

22 feet
Chevy 454
33,950 miles

I know there are many variables that would affect this, but what would you guess?

THANKS!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
7 mpg? Maybe as little as 6?

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #3

We had an '85 Jamboree Spirit, 26' Class C with the Ford 460. Best we got was about 7.1 mpg at sea-level on flat roads. In the mountains, the combination of the steep grades and rarified air dropped it to less than 5 mpg.

I heard (maybe an urban legend in the automotive category) that all the manufacturers in that time frame were using air injection into the exhaust manifold to make sure any excess fuel released from the combustion process was burned. Because the system didn't work very well with low levels of unburned HCs, they deliberately over-jetted thr carbs to make sure there was enough unburned fuel for the process to work.

Maybe this is the reason for the abominable gas mileage and the glowing-red manifolds?

Personally, I wouldn't touch any big US V-8 vehilce made between the start of the smog campaign in about 1972 and the introduction of electronic fuel injection in about 1990. The increasingly complex analog systesd got more and more like somtehing Rube Goldberg or his UK counterpart, Heath Robinson would have dreamed up. For a time, I was ashamed to be an engineer, even though I wasn't in the auto industry.

Just remember, "carburator" is a French irregular verb that means "leave well enough alone". Smog gear makes it even worse.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
---> 7.1 mpg at sea-level on flat roads.
---> mountains... steep grades... rarified air... less than 5 mpg.
I get similarly lousy mileage (about 7mpg) in the mountains and for in town stop/go, but (knocking wood) on mostly flat interstate I'll get 12+ on long trips

(went CC in March I-20 & I-10...
11.7mpg including 300 miles of head winds)

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
We travel from Madison, Wi. to Springfield, Il. pulling a '96 dodge caravan on a car dolly our 88 super chief, got 6.75 to the gallon. this include driving at 45 to 70 mph as we also hit construction (stop n go) and a little bit of rain, the grade was mostly flat .
Old 07-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally you can expect 6 to 8 mpg with the 454 engine...maybe a bit more with the smaller coach and if you keep the speed down.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had two 31 foot class A coaches with the carbureted 454 engine, a 1976, and a 1987. Without a towed vehicle, I regularly got 9-10 mpg in each one. I drive at mostly 60 mph. These are long range averages, not one tank. Tank to tank mileage varies between a low of 7mpg, and a high of 11.5 mpg depending on terrain, wind, traffic, speed etc. Wish my present 8.1 would get mileage like that.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I am picking it up this Saturday and driving it home 800 miles. I will have a good test run home to test out the apprx. mpg.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #9

Our recently acquired '88 Winnie Superchief, 27 footer with the P30/454 has been consistent at just over 7 MPG to and from our favorite CG and fishing spot that is a 100 mile round trip, and over 2 mile-high mountain passes - we are at just over 3000 feet here in the John Day area of eastern Oregon - the steeper mountainous section takes up about 40 miles of the round trip - lots of lower speed, twisting road that makes maintaining decent road speed difficult, and reduces MPG I'm sure.

I suspect a higher percentage of lower elevation, level road would improve that MPG figure substantially, but dunno when that scenario is likely to present itself, since all our normal travel routes around here involve the same sort of high mountain passes, steep grades, and winding roads.

Our MH weighs in a 12K lbs as we normally have it loaded, and we tow a rather insignificant 12 foot aluminum fishing boat setup. I normally hold speed at about 55 MPH - the Oregon speed limit - and have found that adjusting base ignition timing from the OEM 4 degrees advance, to about 12 degrees has greatly improved both power and MPG from what it was at the OEM setting - and still no pinging on hard acceleration.
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Our recently acquired '88 Winnie Superchief, 27 footer with the P30/454 has been consistent at just over 7 MPG to and from our favorite CG and fishing spot that is a 100 mile round trip, and over 2 mile-high mountain passes - we are at just over 3000 feet here in the John Day area of eastern Oregon - the steeper mountainous section takes up about 40 miles of the round trip - lots of lower speed, twisting road that makes maintaining decent road speed difficult, and reduces MPG I'm sure.

I suspect a higher percentage of lower elevation, level road would improve that MPG figure substantially, but dunno when that scenario is likely to present itself, since all our normal travel routes around here involve the same sort of high mountain passes, steep grades, and winding roads.

Our MH weighs in a 12K lbs as we normally have it loaded, and we tow a rather insignificant 12 foot aluminum fishing boat setup. I normally hold speed at about 55 MPH - the Oregon speed limit - and have found that adjusting base ignition timing from the OEM 4 degrees advance, to about 12 degrees has greatly improved both power and MPG from what it was at the OEM setting - and still no pinging on hard acceleration.
Thank you very much for that info!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Our '92 Brave, class-A 27', routinely driven at ~4400' altitude, would get 7.5 mpg while towing a small trailer with our ATV's. Pulling out 7500# boat with it would net around 5.8 mpg. Best ever was 9.9 mpg on a trip from SLC to Vegas once, but we did have the wind at our backs most of the way. I was always 'reasonably' happy with the mileage...

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote