Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Hello everyone I recently purchased an older unit a 1986 Reniassance made by Eldorado the main reason for buying was that it had only 017,466 miles on it but it was neglected and left sitting for over two years, I did how ever drive it from the purchased location in New York and drove it to Philadelphia over one hundred miles. I am planning on redoing the interior sub floor which was water damaged and relaying carpet, and change the back bedroom from just having a bed to having a pull out sleeper couch. The basement area in some compartments have rusted and was wondering how one would proceed in restoring those compartments. There are some issues with electrical concerning the brake lights and brake booster luckily I found a recall out there and called John Deere they were able to schedule a recall fix with Freightliner who now owns the John Deere chasis. The E Brake did not work but from what I heard from the gentlemen at Freightliner they found that there was a line not connected so I am hoping that will be a quick fix. If anyone out there is familiar with this coach and or has any suggestions on restoring please let me know I figure with only 17 thousand mile on it it should be worth restoring.

Engine = Ford 460
Chasis = John Deere

Any thoughts you may have would be deeply appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 1,659
With miles that low (under 700 per year), it would be great to know if the PO started the engine regularly. Low miles isn't always a good thing in an older RV.

Problem with low mileage is that the engine sits there with all the forces directed to one spot on rotating devices like the seals, bearings, belts, etc. Over time and ambient temperature changes, like summer to winter, these components can deform and develop flat spots or the like. Then when you start driving it on long trips, they tend to go bad.

What I'd do, is replace all the usual on the engine, plugs, wires, belts, water pump, etc, pour some Engine restorer in the engine, run it for a while, drain it and repeat. Put some injector cleaner in the tank too. I'd use all synthetic oil. You might consider having the tranni flushed and filled with Transnyd synthetic.

Then plan any trips as short hops around home base, no cross country until you have several hundred on it.

As far as all the house components go, they've been used lightly so should be OK. You might want to just change out the LP, CO, and fire alarms. At their ages the sensors probably won't work well.

One system you should check out right away is the batteries and charging system. With all three sources...alternator, genset, & shore power.
__________________

__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek
With miles that low (under 700 per year), it would be great to know if the PO started the engine regularly. Low miles isn't always a good thing in an older RV.

Problem with low mileage is that the engine sits there with all the forces directed to one spot on rotating devices like the seals, bearings, belts, etc. Over time and ambient temperature changes, like summer to winter, these components can deform and develop flat spots or the like. Then when you start driving it on long trips, they tend to go bad.

What I'd do, is replace all the usual on the engine, plugs, wires, belts, water pump, etc, pour some Engine restorer in the engine, run it for a while, drain it and repeat. Put some injector cleaner in the tank too. I'd use all synthetic oil. You might consider having the tranni flushed and filled with Transnyd synthetic.

Then plan any trips as short hops around home base, no cross country until you have several hundred on it.

As far as all the house components go, they've been used lightly so should be OK. You might want to just change out the LP, CO, and fire alarms. At their ages the sensors probably won't work well.

One system you should check out right away is the batteries and charging system. With all three sources...alternator, genset, & shore power.
As soon as I get the rig back from Freightliner I will follow your advice and change the plugs, wires, belts, water pump, etc, pour some Engine restorer in the engine, run it for a while, drain it and repeat. Put some injector cleaner in the tank too. I'd use all synthetic oil. You might consider having the tranni flushed and filled with Transnyd synthetic. I have notice a slight fuel leak could that be a fuel pump goning I'll have to check it when it comes back from Freightliner


When you ask if PO started normally what exactly do you mean
__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado
When you ask if PO started normally what exactly do you mean
Was wondering if the PO (previous owner) told you that s/he had started the engine and let it get up to operating temp on a regular basis. This isn't all that good for an engine...is should be regularly be driven 20-40 miles to exercise all the carriage components, but at least it's better then just letting it sit for years at a time. And wouldn't show up as mileage on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado
I have notice a slight fuel leak could that be a fuel pump goning I'll have to check it when it comes back from Freightliner
Fuel pump leak? Don't you have an in-tank pump? Or is it a fuel system leak? I understand many older RVs have to eventually replace the fuel hoses as they break down over time.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek

Was wondering if the PO (previous owner) told you that s/he had started the engine and let it get up to operating temp on a regular basis. This isn't all that good for an engine...is should be regularly be driven 20-40 miles to exercise all the carriage components, but at least it's better then just letting it sit for years at a time. And wouldn't show up as mileage on the odometer.
Sorry I didn't understand the previous owner said he would start it and let it run every two weeks not sure if he was telling the truth because it was he's sons rig and son was no where to be found to ask questions, the other thing I was wondering is how do you operate the leveling jacks underneath the rig I have acquired all the chassis manuals luckily but don't see that listed
__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Was wondering if the PO (previous owner) told you that s/he had started the engine and let it get up to operating temp on a regular basis. This isn't all that good for an engine...is should be regularly be driven 20-40 miles to exercise all the carriage components, but at least it's better then just letting it sit for years at a time. And wouldn't show up as mileage on the odometer.



Fuel pump leak? Don't you have an in-tank pump? Or is it a fuel system leak? I understand many older RVs have to eventually replace the fuel hoses as they break down over time.

Ok just heard back from Freightliner they said the linkage cable is rusted out and the cable going into the steering is snaped they are pricing the parts but say one of the parts may hae to be back ordered. I am waiting to hear what parts are needed and what they would chagre to install so I can make a decission keeping in mind what you told me.
__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldorado View Post
Ok just heard back from Freightliner they said the linkage cable is rusted out and the cable going into the steering is snaped they are pricing the parts but say one of the parts may hae to be back ordered. I am waiting to hear what parts are needed and what they would chagre to install so I can make a decission keeping in mind what you told me. .
Good news is the switch to the ebrake from the sterring colum is working
__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
What was the recall on the John Deere chassis? Where did you find out about the recalls?

Thanks
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim_HiTek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Full time RV'er
Posts: 1,659
Here's one source: 1986 JOHN DEERE RV1200 Recalls, Defects, Problems & Troubleshooting

Found it using Google, by typing in '1986 John Deere chassis RV1200'.
__________________
'02 Winnebago Journey DL, DSDP, 36' of fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Thanks.. but, I too know how to use google and it didnt come up. Must have been because a) you googled 1986, not 1989, and b) the term RV1200 which I didnt know about..

I wouldnt have asked if i could have simply googled it..


But thanks again for the..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
What was the recall on the John Deere chassis? Where did you find out about the recalls?

Thanks
I just googled recalls for the year make and chassis number
__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Eldorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
What was the recall on the John Deere chassis? Where did you find out about the recalls?

Thanks
You can also google recalls snoop around and you'll find sites that will let you put your vin number in and will pull up recall history
__________________

__________________
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.