Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 08:16 AM   #1

1987 P30 won't start after heavy rain

I'm here in the flooded land of Austin, TX. My rig started perfectly Thursday evening. Yesterday and last night we had torrential rain! I have a trip planned today (of course). I tried to turn the key and nothing-no click
-starter won't turn
-no headlights
-no gauges
Battery is reading 12.4 volts
Beyond that I'm about to dig into fuses, but wanted to post this first……
I'm desperate to get on the road today so any ideas are welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #2

Power in the battery but no lights or starter means a bad connection somewhere.Clean battery terminals and cable ends.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Where did you probe to get the battery voltage? I have to assume this is a side post battery so correct me if I'm wrong. Probe the battery cables without touching the bolt holding them to the battery. Did you have the same voltage reading? If so find a spot on the frame and clean it shiny then touch the battery positive cable with the + probe and the shiny frame spot with the - probe. If you get the battery voltage reading you had the ground is good. If not you will have some cleaning to do at the battery and ground to frame connections. If the reading is OK you will have to go to the starter where the battery + cable attaches. Don't touch the cable but try to contact the end of the stud holding the cable on to the starter. Got voltage? The battery + cable is good.
If this doesn't show you anything get back on here and we will go from there.
Lynn
Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

If you have a Battery Shut off switch, make sure it is ON

If you know the battery is OK, then you may have a defective fusible link at the battery post terminal on the starter solenoid. Chevy installed a junction block on the firewall accessable through the radiator access hood where you can see if you have 12VDC there. If not then the fusible link is blown.
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

Might have lost a fusible link. Those mystery wires that attach to the large lug of the starter solenoid.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Where did you probe to get the battery voltage? I have to assume this is a side post battery so correct me if I'm wrong. Probe the battery cables without touching the bolt holding them to the battery. Did you have the same voltage reading? If so find a spot on the frame and clean it shiny then touch the battery positive cable with the + probe and the shiny frame spot with the - probe. If you get the battery voltage reading you had the ground is good. If not you will have some cleaning to do at the battery and ground to frame connections. If the reading is OK you will have to go to the starter where the battery + cable attaches. Don't touch the cable but try to contact the end of the stud holding the cable on to the starter. Got voltage? The battery + cable is good.
If this doesn't show you anything get back on here and we will go from there.
Lynn
My apology for having to quote this but I left a step out. If you don't get voltage at the end of the stud on the starter touch the cable lug where it goes on the starter. If you get voltage there and none on the stud the cable is good but the connection itself is bad.
It could be a bad fusible link but there should be two separate feeds for the ignition and the lights. ( two fusible links ) Unlikely both went bad at once but anything can happen.
Lynn

Tags
p30