Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Red face 1987 Winnebago itasca/sunflyer

I just bought this RV and am new to RVing. I can't seem to get my dometic fridge to work on gas. It works on AC and when it's plugged in it will also fire up if I press the gas button. But when I unplug it, the gas shuts down. I thought it might be the auxillary batteries but the batteries are charged up. When I push the aux. button, the green light does not come on. I measured the voltage coming off the convertor and it measured over 12V. An arbutus tech said it should be 14V. Does changing the continuous duty solenoid do anything? When I turn the ignition, there wasn't an audible click so I attached a wire from the positive coach terminal to the small white wire nut it there was a audible click. There is also a solenoid wired in series to the cont. duty solenoid which is made by nuvatec. What does this do? I can't get the onan admiral 1 generator to start. I don't know if this is all related or not so I'm working on getting the fridge to work first. Your help would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gypsyduo...Does your stove & water heater light? If they light, then you have gas in the system. If not, check your gas tank shutoff valve to make sure it is open, and you don't have an additional shutoff valve downstream. Eddie Elk.

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
check to see if the control is set to auto if you have one. most have a Auto, Gas only, Electric only. Get a manual from Dometic and start to trouble shoot. if the switch is off or in Electric only then it will not work on gas. Does the burner light at all. can you see a flame or a spark when you try to run it on gas?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorhomes have CO detectors. Some of them you can actually shut off. When it is off then nothing that runs on propane will work. Check and make sure your CO detector is on.

Not real sure what you mean when you say that you start it on gas and then unplug it ?? Do you mean when you remove shore power the gas shuts down ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

There is gas in the tank. The stove works. The fridge works in auto. It works on AC, it fires up fine on gas while the shore power is plugged in but when I unplug it, the gas flame shuts off. The convertor output is 12.6VDC. I have not tried the water heater yet but I just might try it after I put some water in the tank. I just bought this and am trying to see how different things work.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to check for 12v at the control board (also called the power supply) at the back side of the fridge. Even running on gas it needs constant 12v to the control to operate. Definitely sounds like you have wiring or relay issues.

For troubleshooting, you can usually find appliance manuals online. Try this link to get you started:
Service Documents and Manuals
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Check 12 volt supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyduo View Post
There is gas in the tank. The stove works. The fridge works in auto. It works on AC, it fires up fine on gas while the shore power is plugged in but when I unplug it, the gas flame shuts off. The convertor output is 12.6VDC. I have not tried the water heater yet but I just might try it after I put some water in the tank. I just bought this and am trying to see how different things work.
Like Nick_B said check for 12 volts. Many things run on 12 volts in a Motor Home. Most appliances such as the fridge require 12 volts to o9perate wether on Propane or electric. Check for 12 volts at the fridge control panel. Check your coach (House Battery) the reason why it won't work unplugged is because it is not getting 12 volts from the coach (House Batteries) or you have a bad relay, blown fuse, or broken wire or bad connection. When you are plugged in to electric shore power, it is getting 12 volts from converter. If your house batteries are dead or weak then it is not getting enough power when not plugged in to shore power.. Check for 12 volts when disconnected from shore power. If none present then that is the problem.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I took it in to an RV repairman and he saw it right away. It was the continuous solenoid that I as looking at before that was not working. Funny, I should have seen it. He did not charge me anything. Great people there and I will take my business there. Now onto the generator, water heater, pump.......! I am thinking of towing my Ford Ranger, short box, two wheel drive. Rear wheel drive. Can you manufacture a tow rig for this without spending thousands? I have heard different advice on this such as a special pump for the trany, rear end lubrication etc. One guy suggested disconnecting the U joint for long hauls. The ford is a 5 speed standard. Our excellent adventure begins on the 1st of june.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:36 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyduo View Post
Thanks guys. I took it in to an RV repairman and he saw it right away. It was the continuous solenoid that I as looking at before that was not working. Funny, I should have seen it. He did not charge me anything. Great people there and I will take my business there. Now onto the generator, water heater, pump.......! I am thinking of towing my Ford Ranger, short box, two wheel drive. Rear wheel drive. Can you manufacture a tow rig for this without spending thousands? I have heard different advice on this such as a special pump for the trany, rear end lubrication etc. One guy suggested disconnecting the U joint for long hauls. The ford is a 5 speed standard. Our excellent adventure begins on the 1st of june.
I towed a 2008 ford ranger all over the USA behind my Motor home with no problem. Used a home made tow bar and a $65 tail lite converter wiring loom. About $200 altogether. With standard tranny just put it in Neutral and go. No pump needed for standard tranny. If it is a automatic then a drive shaft disconnect is best way to go.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #10

towing ford ranger

Thanks. I am going the diy tow bar route since I'm a pretty good welder and have access to a scrapyard shop. A couple of cases of beer and I'm good to go. The recreation sites I'm visiting are all on interconnecting log roads with hundreds of lakes. I'm trying to get my genset to start. I've got a full tank of gas and when I hit the switch and hold it nothing happens. The lady I bought it off hasn't used it for 2 years and I heard that is not good for the genset. I would appreciate any advice here. It is an onan emerald 1.

Tags
itasca, winnebago