Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #1

1988 Fleetwood with A&E system inc Leveling

Any help would be greatly appreciated, borrowed a 1988 fleetwood limited 36' to live in for a month or two and there is no info on the A&E systems inc leveling. The panel turns on, one jack toggle switch flashes and thats it. Does any one know anything about this system? should the engine be on? is it operated by electrical? Help
thank you Brian
icybluetig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 1988 Fleetwood Limited and maybe can help. Ignition key needs to be on for the leveling system to work. The system has an auto-level function but you can level manually as well. The leveling jacks are swing down so the first step is swing them all down first by pressing the lever to "extend" once. All jacks should swing down and all red lights should be on. If any are off then that jack is not down. A yellow light indicates where the RV is high relative to level. With the jacks all down you should be able to use the auto-level function to get the coach leveled. If not you can manually operate each jack to level the coach. The emergency brake is applied through the driveshaft so be careful to not raise the rear wheels off the ground.

John
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

i have 89 driftwood with same jacks. I believe the engine needs to be on. check house batteries. Mine would not work even though the lights came on due to weak house batteries. Check hydraulic fluid level, mine is in front just above the bumper where the pump is, good luck.
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Thank you nazoomer,

The power steering belt was broke and after looking at it that drives the alternator and another pump, and this RV does have a 4 or so gal fluid holding tank, looks like tranny fluid. Is that what yours uses? any way got the belt on and tried to use the leveling with it running and whe i went out front I heard a clicking? traced it to a bunch of relays under hood passenger side one was clicking in time with the engine. but the jacks still didn't work, I need someone to spot me and see if they even move a hair. but any other info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
icybluetig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you say a bunch of relays, there should be two that look exactly alike and have two big lugs and two small lugs. One relay is for providing power to the leveling system and the other provides power to the hydraulic pump. The large lugs carry the twelve volt load and the smaller ones energize the relay with twelve volts and ground. Does the hydraulic pump run at all? The pump is located directly down and in front of the condensor behind the bumper. Also, next to the pump is the hydraulic tank for the leveling system, check that the fluid level is within an inch of the top. Fill with transmission fluid only. If the pump doesn't run, check the connections at the two relays I mentioned earlier. Sometimes they get corroded and cause problems. Go to the HWH web site and download the operation manual for the HWH 400 system. This is the same as the A&E system since HWH took over the A&E system. They also have a parts manual available. I have used both manuals and they are very good. Let us know how it goes. Also, those two relays are the same part number and can be found at NAPA if either one is bad.

John

Tags
fleetwood, leveling